Essential Reads?!

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 3:55 pm

TinyShine -

Just wondered what books everyone considers to be essential reads and why?

I'll put mine up when I don't have an essential disertation to write !

Sarah xx

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 4:54 pm

Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov.
I adore this book and consider it to be 'essential reading.' Its as weird as hell and will upset you, yet you'll find you're sympathising with a man who doesn't deserve it.You end up pitying a paedophile and laughing along at his sheer madness, humour and intelligence.Its an unsettling experience to say the least, but that is exactly what makes it so great for me.Its a wonderfully written novel and one of the greatest I've ever read- and I've read a lot.Poor Humbert Humbert.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 6:04 pm

Carpet Remnant -

In anticipation of the weighty intellectual novels that I'm sure will be recommended shortly I'd just like to give my essential trashy read.
Out of all the books I've read (and I've read a few) the one thats touched me personnally the most has to be IT by stephen king, I know its trashy horror but if you let it work its magic you really do fall in love with the chacracters and their individual journeys. OK thats me done.

Big nose strikes again

| 2,343 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 6:25 pm

The wrong boy - Willy Russel. F*cking hilarious book.

"But I was wasting my breath so I shut up and let him laugh. What can you say to a Philistine who's into Phil Collins and Dire Straits and other such frivolity? I've got my Walkman on now so at least I can't hear him laughing. The only saving grace in having a lift from him is that he's so fat he makes me feel really thin. It's not that I'm obese or anything, not any more, Morrissey. But even though I'm not fat nowadays, I sometimes forget and still think of myself as being corpulent. And I hate having to look at pictures of me when I was fat. Photographs are just like computers - they never tell the truth. It's like that picture of Oscar Wilde, Morrissey, you know the one where he's got those boots on and he's leaning against that wall. And if that was the only surviving picture of Oscar Wilde everybody'd think he was a fat person, wouldn't they? But Oscar Wilde wasn't fat, not on the inside. And I wasn't fat, not on the inside, I wasn't. It was just a phase I was going through. And probably it was just a phase that Oscar Wilde was going through and he couldn't help it just like I couldn't help it. They used to call me Moby D*ck! When we moved to Wythenshawe and they put me in that comprehensive school where I didn't know nobody and it was already the middle of term by the time I started, I walked into the classroom and Steven Spanswick looked up and said, 'F*ckin' hell, it's Moby D*ck!'

And everybody in the classroom started laughing, even the teacher!"
[

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 11:30 pm

the doc -

F*cking hell, i could be here all day with this one. Here's just a few starters for ten as it were.

Perfume - Patrick Susskind: absolutely f*cking wonderful, it's my favourite book ever and believe me i've read a f*cking lot of books. Impossible to describe, really, it's a kinda baroque tragi-comedy set during the French Revolution and is, quite simply, like nothing else you will have ever come across. Read it, read it, read it. And if you already have, do it again.

Armies of the Night - Norman Mailer: this is one for all you aspiring journalists. It's his chronicle of the march on the pentagon in October 67 when the hippies tried to raise the pentagon off the ground by standing around it and chanting. It puts a whole different spin on the writer/subject relationship and is a must read for anyone with a remote interest in serious journalism. It's wamr and funny but deadly serious at its heart. If you want a critique of the American Dream in the second half of the last century, the only writers you need are Mailer, Hunter S Thompson and Thomas Pynchon, with an honourable nod to Updike's 'Rabbit' quadrilogy.

Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon: not for the faint-hearted but well worth the effort. If you gave James Joyce a sh*tload of acid and told him to write a cross between Moby D*ck and Catch-22 then this is what you'd get. The depth and breadth of knowledge and different stylistic devices is totally staggering. It is riotously funny but the satire and social commentary that he offers is incredibly astute. Watch out for the sh*t-eating scene about a hundred pages in though. It is truly stomach churning.

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte: one of the most passionately written books you could ever come across. It might just be cos i can see the Bronte moors from my house, but i love this book, a tale of gothic romance spanning time and space. Haunting, atmospheric, utterly, utterly wonderful.

Is This A Man - Primo Levi; he was an Italian Jew deported to Auschwitz in 1944. He survived it and wrote several books (of which this is the first) about his experiences. It's remarkable in that he remains completely dispassionate about the subject, the objectivity he displays is frightening considering what he went through. He killed himself in 1988 some say because he was crushed with guilt at the fact he survived when so many others went under. "We, the survivors, are not the true witnesses," he wrote. He was, in my humblest of opinions, one of the great philosophers of the twentith century.

That should put you on for a bit, i'll probably be back at some point with some more of these. Man, i can talk about books till the cows come home. I didn't study English and American lit at uni for nothing!

the doc

| 23,161 posts

5th Feb 2007 at 12:52 am

the doc -

oh oh oh i almost forgot! if all the above sounds a bit heavy and you fancy summat a bit nicer, it is vital that you read Fup by a guy called Jim Dodge.  It's only about a  hundred pages and it's a contemporary fairytale about a cantankerous ninety nine year old alcohlolic who lives on a farm in America with his retarded eighteen year old grandson and their pet, a twenty pound mallard hen called Fup (fup duck, geddit?) who's so fat she can't fly. It's one of the funniest things you'll ever read, quite sad in places (like all good fairy tales) and is just f*cking adorable. anyone who reads it and says
they ain't loved it has to have a heart made of lead. I implore you all to read it. If you're head's been battered by intellectual tomes and you miss the innocence and magic of childhood reading then this is for you. if you read it, let me know what you think. you'll thank me for this one i promise.

Edited by the doc Feb 2007

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

5th Feb 2007 at 1:42 am

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre... It's been my favourite book for 15 years now. Nuff said

the doc

| 23,161 posts

7th Feb 2007 at 4:47 pm

the doc -

I'd also urge you all to read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. it's an autobiography, when he was about twenty both his parents died of cancer and he got left to bring up his little brother and it's all about how he dealt with that.

It's sad, obviously, in places, but most of the tears are from laughter. Not since Catch-22 have i come across a book that could have me literally aching from laughing so much at it. it's absolutely brilliant, one of the funniest things i've ever read.

his book of Short Short Stories is wicked as well.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 12:39 am

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter

The first book i ever read by her. Its a collection of modernised fairy tales and has nice descriptive passages and skillfully subverts tradition. The Magic Toyshop also by Carter is a good read. She's one of my favourite authors.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Aras

| 1,774 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 12:59 am

Aras - Charmed I'm sure

Charmed I'm sure

"The world according to Garp" by John Irving.

A truely amazing book. Complex, emotive and many other words a professional book critic (which I am not) would use.
She isn't in love...she's merely insane!

the doc

| 23,161 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 12:32 pm

the doc -

Quote: Iris
The Bloody Chamber - Angela Carter

The first book i ever read by her. Its a collection of modernised fairy tales and has nice descriptive passages and skillfully subverts tradition. The Magic Toyshop also by Carter is a good read. She's one of my favourite authors.

I'm with you all the way on that one, Angela Carter is brilliant. Pretty sinister in places but i think that's what makes it so good.

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 1:09 pm

I'd like to recommend Jenny Colgan's Do You Remember The First Time?

It left me feeling warm and fuzzy.

JTP

| 32 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 1:35 pm

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Good topic. I presume you want fiction books/novels.

I recommend the following:

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
Ulysses - James Joyce
The Waves, To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
Unbearable lightness of being - Milan Kundera
Nausea - J P Sartre
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Anything by Jorge Lois Borges

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 11:38 pm

The Woman in White and The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Explain why when I'm awake

the doc

| 23,161 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 11:53 pm

the doc -

Brave New World's a top book. If you want a kinda counteropint to it check out Island (also by Huxley) which focuses on an undiscovered Utoipan place that ends up getting raped by the mutli-national oil companies. It was one of the last things he wrote before he died, it works as a companion piece to BNW and it is wicked.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

9th Feb 2007 at 9:44 pm

TinyShine -

Nineteen Eighty Four, George Orwell- To me this book is ingenuis in how it identifies external control in our lives and how this can impact upon relationships, despite fighting 'the system'. Flawlessly written, un-put-down-able (!) and imaginative

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte- I know it's been said before but this has been a favourite of mine since I was 11, when i started reading it whilst skiving from P.E! Just a less conventional love story. Characters who aren't super beautiful or wonderfully charasmatic but yet something very endearing about them.

The Glass Menagerie- Tennesse Williams. OK, this is strictly a play, and quite American-ised but it's very poignant. I love books that use someone a little bit quiet, withdrawn and socially awkward as a leading role!

The curious incident of the dog at night-time. I can't remember the author But I find this book tackles Asperger's Syndrome in a funny yet enlightening way. It always cheers me up, which is why i have read it 3 times!

The Great Gatsby- F. SCott Fitzgerald. I read this book recently and i liked its slant on social classes- On how everyone was striving to portray a certain lifestyle, yet they were unsatisfied with their mundane reality. Worth a read

The time traveller's wife- Audrey Niffengger. I love this book! The structure, the plot, the amazing romance plot that pre-dominates all the absurdities...! I love books that are different and have something creative and imaginative to offer...and needless to say, I was delighted to find another unconventional romance story- I do like them, hehe!

It's great to get some essential read reccommendations- I'll be hunting down some of the books that have been mentioned

Sarah xx

the doc

| 23,161 posts

9th Feb 2007 at 9:56 pm

the doc -

the glass meneagerie is ace. check out the film version with john malkovic. Special.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

9th Feb 2007 at 9:58 pm

TinyShine -

Ooo I didn't know about that! I must see!

Merci

Sarah xx

Velvet Soldier

| 206 posts

9th Feb 2007 at 10:07 pm

The Turtle Moves

Don DeLillo - White Noise - Hard to explain but really enjoyable in it's description of the mudanity of life and its porttryal of how much the media has invaded our lived to the point nothing seems real unless it's on TV.

Paul Auster - The Country of Last Things
Dark and very disturbing at times, but fantastic distopian novel.

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose, heavy going at first but worth the initial struggle for a tale of intrique and murder in a monastery.

MG Lewis - The Monk, a real old fashioned Gothic tale.

I also happen to love bothe Dracula and Frankenstein, having studied them at uni. There are many many others I could list, but will leave it at that for now.
Why call it civil service when the service is anything but civil?

the doc

| 23,161 posts

9th Feb 2007 at 11:30 pm

the doc -

Dracula and Frankenstein - yeah! i think paul auster is f*cking sh*te, but the concensus is i'm prob'ly on my own on that one!

Velvet Soldier

| 206 posts

10th Feb 2007 at 5:09 pm

The Turtle Moves

It depends what you have read by him - some of his stuff is a little hard going and pretentious, but I enjoyed Country of Last Things and also New York Trilogy by him. The only dissapointing thing in Dracula is the death scene, otherwise a fantastic read.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

10th Feb 2007 at 5:51 pm

the doc -

Quote: Velvet_Soldier
It depends what you have read by him - some of his stuff is a little hard going and pretentious, but I enjoyed Country of Last Things and also New York Trilogy by him.  The only dissapointing thing in Dracula is the death scene, otherwise a fantastic read.

I've read loads by Paul Auster - my mate Scary Dan is mad on him and we generally have quite similar tastes, i trust his judgement, that's how i came to read it. Just didn't get it, somehow. New York Trilogy was okay i guess, i can't remember the names of the others. Oh, hang on, Mister Vertigo, that was by him, wasn't it, the one about the boy who coukd fly? Wasn't really having that one.

Like i said though, i think i'm out on me own with it cos just about everyone else i know that's read Paul Auster loves him.

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

10th Feb 2007 at 6:06 pm

Quote: TinyShine

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte- I know it's been said before but this has been a favourite of mine since I was 11, when i started reading it whilst skiving from P.E! Just a less conventional love story. Characters who aren't super beautiful or wonderfully charasmatic but yet something very endearing about them.

That's exactly what I love about it too

Emma

| 9,777 posts

10th Feb 2007 at 6:13 pm

Emma - EXTREME!

EXTREME!

I'm actually surprised that I've not read many of the books in the thread.. only like 2 or 3 of them actually!

I'd say everyone has to read Lord of the Flies, by William Golding. I know everyone studies it in school but it really is an ace book, and I loved it even after I'd finished studying it which is an achievement cause school ruined Animal Farm for me...

And that would be my input Considering the amount I read I really just do read sh*t :p

I do think though, however little it fits in with the classic book thing, everyone should read P.S I Love You by Cecile Aherne... it proper got me involved, and I think it's incredibly well written, so like... yeah.

And I shall have a look through all these and see what I want to read when I have some money to buy stuff :p
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Velvet Soldier

| 206 posts

10th Feb 2007 at 8:34 pm

The Turtle Moves

Well maybe tis just you then Not to worry, everyone tastes differ. I personally hated Jane Eyre, and thought she didn't stop whining through the whole novel and just needed a good slap.

Dave

| 18 posts

12th Feb 2007 at 2:21 pm

Drink or Drive. It's a tough call.

Books I'd recommend-

The World According to Garp - John Irving
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
The Hunt For Red October - Tom Clancy
The Stand - Stephen King

Books to avoid at all costs -

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Ulysses - James Joyce
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Feb 2007 at 2:48 pm

the doc -

Quote: tallwales
Books I'd recommend-

The World According to Garp - John Irving
Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
The Hunt For Red October - Tom Clancy
The Stand - Stephen King

Books to avoid at all costs -

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Ulysses - James Joyce
Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe

I think Ulysses is a wonderful book, but you've gotta know what you're doing with it. If you think that's mad, you should have a crack at Finnegan's Wake. It is, in one sense, nonsensical and unreadable, but therein lies the beauty......

Velvet Soldier

| 206 posts

12th Feb 2007 at 7:00 pm

The Turtle Moves

I do agree that Robinson Crusoe should be avoided - any book that spends an entire chapter describign a table being made, and then says it's actually a pretty rubbish table anyway is just asking to be hated.

I personally am not a big fan of James Joyce, for a few reasons, but largely because he deliberatley made his books difficult and therein loses the very people he is trying to reach out to, the reader. I would add studying a book is very different from just reading it for pleasure, and I have noly ever 'studied' James Joyce, which may hav been what put me off.

If you like weird however try Italo Calvino's If on a Winters Night.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Feb 2007 at 7:11 pm

the doc -

I kinda did both with Joyce. I read Ulysses when i was sixteen and liked it so much i did my A-level English lit coursework about it. I try to read it every couple of years or so cos there's so much there, you find summat new every time you read it.
I did a course on Ulysses in my final year at uni. Twas very informative but i'd already researched a lot of it myself anyway. Chapter fifteen when they're in the brothel is one of my favourite bits of writing in all the world, with the black mass and all the rest of it. Tremendous stuff.

I know what you mean about studying ruining stuff though, if you've got your analytical head on all the time it can detract from the enjoyment of the words on the page, which is what it's all supposed to be about, really.

Dave

| 18 posts

13th Feb 2007 at 9:32 am

I think that's what killed Joyce for me doc. If I'd just picked it up randomly and read it I could have taken my time and looked things up. But studying it means doing it at a certain pace. I just ignored it for my coursework and exams at uni. I did other books on my course.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Feb 2007 at 1:05 pm

the doc -

Quote: Dave
I think that's what killed Joyce for me doc. If I'd just picked it up randomly and read it I could have taken my time and looked things up. But studying it means doing it at a certain pace. I just ignored it for my coursework and exams at uni. I did other books on my course.

It wasn't part of the set course, i did it for me persoanl choice coursework so all the study was self-directed, that why i enjoyed it at the time, and then the uni course was ace cos it was so in depth. You could try Dubliners, his book of short stories, that's really good and completely straghtforward.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

13th Feb 2007 at 10:42 pm

Quote: Jon_the_Postman

Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

Am i the only person who didn't get what all the fuss was about with this one? The overuse of certain words really f*cked me off.
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Feb 2007 at 10:47 pm

the doc -

Nah it wasn't just you. it was a hugely important book at the time, massively con troversial (it's still banned in some US states) but by today's standards it's proper tame.

I didn't really see what all the fuss was about either, but Haulden Caulfield paved the way for generations of anti-heroes so you'ver got to give it credit for that.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

14th Feb 2007 at 11:51 am

Roxannie -

I'll agree with whoever said Of Mice and Men, not something I would normally read but we studied it in school, and afterwards I took another couple of Steinbecks out of the library, can't remember what they were called though.

Can't remember who it's by, but Holes is a brilliant book. I actually..."lost" my copy of it when we studied it in year 8 and only gave it back at the end of year 11. The main plot is about a boy sent to a young offenders type of thing in the middle of a desert, and there's a couple of subplots about his family and another boy there's family, and about the people who lived there when the desert was a lake and they all link together in various ways. It's one of those ones that makes you feel all uplifted when you finish it.

I can't believe Oscar Wilde hasn't been mentioned yet! Lord Arthur Savile's Crime is the brilliant story of a man who finds out that he is going to commit a murder, and he desparately tries to get it over and done with before he gets married. It's very short; my copy is only 25 pages, and it's well worth the read, especially the ending

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

14th Feb 2007 at 12:24 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

- "The Beach" by Alex Garland. - It is my bestest book ever, I think - it is really funny and smart and exciting.
- "Bright Young Things" by Scarlett Thomas.
- "Naive. Super" by Erlend Loe.
- "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Graheme. - It is really funny and sweet, but also lots of bits are really dark too. Also, it is lots of ideas how lots of changes and new technology are pretty scary.
- "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.
- "The Eyre Affair/Lost in a good book/The Well of lost plots" by Jasper Fforde. - They are pretty silly and goofy, I think, but also they are really really smart and creative and funny.

Also…
"Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland.
"The Hole" by Guy Burt.
"The Moth Diaires" by Rachel Klien.
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.
"The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

14th Feb 2007 at 12:57 pm

the doc -

Couple of others i forgot to mention - if you like a bit of Southern Gothic then try The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. It's a story about two deaf mutes living in a small town in America and it is brilliant.

In a similar vein, try Wise Blood by Flannery O' Connor. That's magnificent as well, very sinister. They made a film of it in the 70s with Brad Duriff (BIlly Bibbit in On Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) and that's well worth a watch, the film was shot exactly as i imagined the book in my head when i was reading it, and i can't pay it a much bigger compliment than that.

Flannery O' Connor's short stories are like After Eights - dark as f*ck but mint.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

14th Feb 2007 at 3:17 pm

Quote: the_doc
You could try Dubliners, his book of short stories, that's really good and completely straghtforward.

Dubliners never fails to depress me. Especially "The Dead". I really loved Eveline and Araby though
Wife of the lovely Alice

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

16th Feb 2007 at 11:37 pm

Oooh, I like Of Mice And Men too.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

16th Feb 2007 at 11:43 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

if i haven't already mentioned it, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

It's amazing. Intensely psychological and set in and around a surprisingly vivid image of St Petersburg swathed with murder and self loathing.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

17th Feb 2007 at 1:55 am

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Gin_N_Milk
Oooh, I like Of Mice And Men too.

When I was reading it I didn't like it. But when it finished I felt as though I'd enjoyed it. It's a strange one. I saw the film too, which helped the book make more sense (not that it is particularly complicated).

the doc

| 23,161 posts

17th Feb 2007 at 11:36 pm

the doc -

Quote: Pet_Sounds
if i haven't already mentioned it, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

It's amazing. Intensely psychological and set in and around a surprisingly vivid image of St Petersburg swathed with murder and self loathing.

Ace, i reckon, but not for everyone.

Russian stuff is f*cking mad, cos of all the patonymics and stuff, every character has three or four different names.........

Great book though. The Idiot is even better (in my opinion), but if you wabnt an intro to Dostoyevsky, try Notes From Underground.

If Willhy LOman (Death of a Salesman) and Holden Caulfield (Catcher in the Rye) are the godfathers of the anti-hero, the guy in that book is the divine creator.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

17th Feb 2007 at 11:45 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Has anyone read any christopher brookmyre? Hugely enjoyable scottish crime/comedy/action novels. Highly recommended to anyone looking for an enjoyable easy read.

Dave

| 18 posts

20th Feb 2007 at 10:14 pm

Time to add a few more I think.

1- Romeo and Juliet
One of the few Shakespeare plays that is truly enjoyable.

2- Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
An interesting study into youth with some obvious repressed homosexual tendancies.

3- Frankenstein
A book worthy of the title classic even if it does start slowly.

4- Day of the Triffids, John Wyndham
You'll never look at gardening the same way again.

I'll add more at a later date. Just want to see what other people think about some of the books that I love.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

21st Feb 2007 at 12:12 am

the doc -

I'll agree with most of the above ^ but i dunno about "few Shakespeare plays that are truly enjoyable."

The vast majority of them are fab, apart from the history plays, and even then Richard II has some wonderful poetry in it.  I love Shakespeare.  Me favourite's The scottish Play though. It's not the best technically but the writing in it is apocalyptic from beginning to end and for that it is to be saluted.  Tremendous stuff.

While i'm here, if you want some brillaint contemporary drama, check out Long Day's Journey Into Night and The Iceman Cometh by Eugene O' Neill.  The two best plays of the twentieth century, for me.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

4th Mar 2007 at 1:16 pm

TinyShine -

My favourite shakespeare play is Twelfth Night I think it's because it's kind of amusing and easier to read than some of the others. And also it's so far fetched and i love things like that because they make me giggle! Easily amused...

Sarah xx

Velvet Soldier

| 206 posts

5th Mar 2007 at 9:11 pm

The Turtle Moves

I always liked The winters Tale by shakespeare, but that is probably because I always loved the stage direction "Exit, pursued by a bear". Not sure why but that always tickled me.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

20th Mar 2007 at 1:49 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Birds of prey by Wilbur smith is absolutely fantastic, i also reckon the rats trilogy is essential reading youll never want to go into an underground station again!
Never take life seriously.

29xthepain

| 1,583 posts

1st May 2007 at 2:51 pm

29xthepain - the rotten egg of an angry political goose...

the rotten egg of an angry political goose...

there are so many books that i think everyone should read, here are some of them... some may already have been mentioned...

perfume - patrick suskind (my all time favourite!)
steppenwolf - herman hesse
narcissus and goldmund - herman hesse
peter camenzind - herman hesse
the age of reason - jean-paul sartre
nausea - jean-paul sartre
the fall - albert camus
the plague - albert camus
the outsider - albert camus
the earth - emile zola
november - gustave flaubert
sentimental education - gustave flaubert
intimacy - hanif kureshi
the buddha of suburbia - hanif kureshi
the wasp factory - iain banks
a star called henry - roddy doyle
the peculiar memoirs of thomas penman - bruce robinson
the basketball diaries - jim carroll
the forest of hours - kirstin ekman (the only book to have ever come close to perfume as far as i'm concerned!)
good omens - neil gaiman & terry pratchett
(i'm relatively new to terry pratchett, though i did read the above while at school [besides i always considered it more of a neil gaiman book...] but i now think everyone should read him... he's great light relief, but so much more as well...

that's probably enough to be going on with... am sure i'll think of some more in approximately 13 seconds but hey ho...
...I'm the all night drug-prowling wolf
Who looks so sick in the sun
Im the white man in the palais
Just lookin for fun...

the doc

| 23,161 posts

8th May 2007 at 9:33 pm

the doc -

I reckon everyone should read The Autobiography of Doctor Martin Luther King Jr as well, the single most inspiring book I've ever come across. It's not actually a 'straight autobiography' so to speak because he was dead before he got to write one, but it's made up of diary entries, letters and stuff like that.

If you want an interesting case study, read it either before or after The Autobiography of Malcolm X (co-written with Alex Haley) to get two differtent approaches to solving a single problem. The Malcolm X one isn't nevessarily essential though, but the Martin Luther King one should be read by everyone.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

20th Jul 2007 at 10:01 am

the doc -

Also The Peculiar Diaries of Thomas Penman by Bruce Robinson. That's a fabulous book.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page