Your favourite pictures

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

8th Dec 2006 at 10:13 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Inspired by the Your Photography thread, How about a thread for your favourite photos, pictures, and paintings by other people.

I'll start with mine, Pale Blue Dot. A photograph of Earth from over 4 billion miles away. The quote by Carl Sagan to go along with it also. Together, a very powerful combination. Sorry about the filesize, you can't JPEG it otherwise you lose the effect.

Carl Sagan:
Quote:
That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Edited by LoonyPandora Jan 2007

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

8th Dec 2006 at 10:59 pm

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

wow..... i can see why thats your favorite picture... really stunning, especially with the sagan quote.

as for my favorites... i have so many that i would need my own thread to display them all. if you want to see some amazing pictures from a little closer to home definitely click here.
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

14th Jan 2007 at 5:04 am

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

http://www.younggalleryphoto.com/photography/brandt/brandt.html if i could take anything half as good as these photos my head would swell.
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

Insert sanity here

| 244 posts

14th Jan 2007 at 9:46 am

Insert sanity here - Flee from the truth

Flee from the truth

The quote definately adds to the photo of the "speck" as it were.

Recently i have attempted some animal photography, the unpredictablality of animals makes it a challenging feat. I cannot imagine the patience that Brandt must have to get those pictures.
Burn burn the truth, the lies, the news
Burn burn the life that you cant choose
Burn burn the hate that gets you through
Burn burn for us for them for you

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

14th Jan 2007 at 11:09 am

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Amelie
http://www.younggalleryphoto.com/photography/brandt/brandt.html if i could take anything half as good as these photos my head would swell.

Those are beautiful. Wildlife photography is usually stunning, but those... they're amazing!
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Mutter

| 701 posts

22nd Jan 2007 at 10:12 pm

Mutter oh gib mir Kraft

A picture and poster I've loved for many a year.

Running Free

[http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h286/zandan/frntimage.jpg]

A beautiful, most under exposed giant of the deep, the Megamouth shark.

[http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h286/zandan/Megamouth.jpg]
Die Sonne scheint mir aus den Händen
kann verbrennen, kann euch blenden
wenn sie aus den Fäusten bricht
legt sich heiß auf das Gesicht
sie wird heut Nacht nicht untergehen
und die Welt zählt laut bis zehn

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

16th Feb 2007 at 10:09 pm

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

[http://photos-893.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v63/204/61/309500030/n309500030_32893_3165.jpg]
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page