Always scribble, scribble, scribble...

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 5:54 pm

Do you want to be a journalist?Do you just feel creative and love to write? Do you want to sleep with Alan Sharkey for money?
If the answer to any of the above is yes, then look no further.Huzzah!

I was pondering (i like the word) about how many people on VR want to write/be journalists/do something literary for the hell of it. And its really quite a lot for one website. A lot of these people are incredibly talented and would make great writers in the future.

So, how about we set up a news/current affairs/entertainment blog which will give us all experience in meeting deadlines, researching and actually doing something related to what you want to do in the future.
And the more professional we make it, i.e. imposing deadlines, fielding out less desirable topics etc, the less chance there is of it bombing like the Abyss which had great talent but relied on one person posting.
It would require a lot of commitment and discipline because I'm a real hardass but for those who are too busy to be regular writers can always write guest essays on a topic which you feel is important and interesting.
There could also be a little sporadic comic section for the artists amongst us.

So...who is interested and who knows how to set up a blog?

Any suggestions for name are also welcome.

I quite like the title of this thread for it, but it may be a little too long.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 6:13 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Note, VR's front page is always looking for articles and interesting stuff.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 6:41 pm

See, I reckon it should be separate from VR in order to encourage people to really keep the blog afloat, whereas with VR, you can get sidetracked super easily.Plus, I think it'd be cool to give someone a link to an article you wrote and published on a group blog.

*Actually, Claire, thats a great idea.I'm down* for that too if you think it'll work.

*I don't really speak like that in real life.I can't even pull off 'innit', let alone being 'down' for anything.I'm actually 'up' for that too.Dawg.

Edited by Turtle Dec 2006

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 8:28 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

As the soliciting question suggests, I'm quite up for this, even if no-one else is. Sticking to deadlines would help me in real life, where I am awful at keeping to them - I am always late for everything.

Getting into a routine would keep my mind ticking over as well as helping me with my problems - at least, the ones not related to your face.

Yeah, that's right, your face.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 8:34 pm

Quote: Claire
I get what you mean about it being separate from VR, and Andrew's unlikely to agree incase it dies on it's a*se like the Columns did, but I think if we're allowed to write, say, film reviews, tv reviews, sports roundups...current affairs summaries, like an online newspaper, we'd always have something to talk about, and there's plenty of room for discussion from non-involved members of VR...

Yeah, I actually would really like it to be an online newspaper but still separate from VR and hopefully the non involved VR members will visit us.Or alternatively, our articles can be reposted on VR's front page as well with a link redirecting them to our full reports.

So thats me, Claire and Alan so far.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 8:54 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Fair enough, I wanted to make the front page of VR go in a separate direction to the rest of the forum, so I think it could have worked. But it is a bit of a hack to say the least...

I could install a copy of wordpress or something for you guys here if you really think you could make it work? Come up with a domain name and I'll see if I can set it up - if you want me to that is? - If not, I recommend getting your own webspace and installing WordPress - great ibt of software and will be able to do what you are asking.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 9:11 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

It wouldn't, it would be a totally separate website and everything.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 9:30 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

No worries then, I would suggest setting up your own site then, and installing that program - it's dead easy and does the business

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 10:29 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Lusty_Packington
Not the sleeping with Alan though. Kissing him was bad enough

Methinks she doth protest too much.

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 10:51 pm

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

I'm liking this idea. I would like to be counted as 'on board'. I have lots of inane scribblings on my myspace if people can be bothered finding it on my profile somewhere, but this sounds a lot more interesting. Yes. Good job all.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

7th Dec 2006 at 12:08 pm

TinyShine -

You're all quite welcome to use the poetry board for this- Afterall it is about writing! Might generate some new interest in writing and in reading other people's stuff and thus (did i just use that word?!) gaining more inspiration!

I would sign up but my brain has actually shut down. I can't write anymore- too many assignments, too many flus, too much tiredness But I'd really enjoy reading it and pumping some more life back into this wee board

Sarah xx

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

8th Dec 2006 at 12:13 pm

Dissimulation -

Definately sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure how much free time I'm able to spare at the moment, so it's probably best to count me in as a guest writer for a minute if this project goes ahead.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

8th Dec 2006 at 1:35 pm

I'm going to stop hijacking Denesha's thread now.

No,I really need people to hijack it because I've no idea what to do or where to start.

I was hoping to get about 7 people who will be regular writers, so they can each take a day each for their article to be posted, e.g. I'll have a sunday deadline because I'm the sunday girl who has to post an article on sunday so its updated daily. Or erm, saturday could be the guest writer's essay day. This was just because I'm right in the middle of A2 and all my spare time is spent on doing that so theres only so much that even I could contribute so if we had a group of regulars who were in charge of ensuring an article was posted on their particular day, it'll stay fresh and organised.
Erm is that a good idea?Any suggestions are really welcome because I honestly have no clue on where to start or what to do.
Oh and I spoke to my english teacher who bitchslapped me into thinking about this idea and she thought it was great and once its all running, she's going to advertise it.

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

8th Dec 2006 at 4:13 pm

Grog me.

Can I be music? I like music. My favourite band are The Waiting Room.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

wombat

| 8,154 posts

8th Dec 2006 at 4:25 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I think this is a nice idea. If I had any talent I'd offer to join.

but i don't.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 11:36 am

Reet, then - I suggest that since Phil has offered his geek services, we delegate the task to him of sorting us out somewhere to host our shizzle - preferably free, yes?  If it works we can always find somewhere cheap and get a domain name but until we know how many people are gonna visit there's not much point.

Erm...are you just thinking a daily article from a specific person, am I reading you right? Would that be on a specific topic (ie. Sport, Film, a Current Event) or are you not sure? If we can get enough people involved then a rota is a great idea.

Yeah, I think Alan was looking at a free team blog at blogger.com so that'd be handy.Either way its up to Phil to decide which blog site he thinks is best.

I was thinking of a daily article from someone on a specific topic. We'd need about 6 regular people and a guest writer each week for that to work.If we can't get that many involved, we can think of another way to work it all out.

And Mancomb Seepgood,I'm quite sure you can be music if you want to.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 11:50 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Would you guys mind if I do nick use some of the articles you post for the front page of VR? - As I said, I was looking to do something like this for VR, but since that's not doable, I'd like to be able to use some of your talent by proxy

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 12:14 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I'm definitely interested... Except in the sleeping with Alan part... That I can miss
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 4:23 pm

Quote: LoonyPandora
Would you guys mind if I do nick use some of the articles you post for the front page of VR? - As I said, I was looking to do something like this for VR, but since that's not doable, I'd like to be able to use some of your talent by proxy

Yeah, sure. You can take anything you like off it once its all up and running.

I counted up the people who said they'd be interested in writing for it and the list is as follows:
Me
Alan
Claire
Alice
Mancomb Seepgood (I am so sorry I don't know your name, please don't hate me)
Phil
Amy.

And Jamie for guest writing so far.

I think that may be enough to do the rota, unless some of that list decide they'd rather be guest writers instead?

I wrote an entertainment piece today which made my mum laugh so I could post that.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 4:32 pm

Dissimulation -

It's looking like a good line-up so far.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 5:34 pm

Technically sexy.

this is very much exciting me- ooh!

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

9th Dec 2006 at 7:56 pm

Dissimulation -

Just a thought, but it might be a good idea for the those down as guest writers (who are avaliable to write at the time) to all submit an article..and then perhaps we could have a vote on VR to see which piece gets to fill the empty slot. The others could then go into a pool of articles that could fill the gaps at the odd times that there might not be any people avalible to submit an article.

What do you guys think?

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

10th Dec 2006 at 5:46 pm

Quote: Shrapnel
Just a thought, but it might be a good idea for the those down as guest writers (who are avaliable to write at the time) to all submit an article..and then perhaps we could have a vote on VR to see which piece gets to fill the empty slot. The others could then go into a pool of articles that could fill the gaps at the odd times that there might not be any people avalible to submit an article.

What do you guys think?  

That sounds really good, and handy in case someone is really busy and can't make a deadline.

Yeah, Rox, we're going to need more than one guest writer as they are meant to mix it up a bit for the regulars, so once its all set up, you can write an article to put into the vote that Jamie suggested.

Phil, has there been any progress on the technical stuff and blog setting up?

And I think we should probably rethink the 'Always scribble, scribble, scribble' name as I realised that the abbreviation of it would be ASSS. Which is cool except that if someone asks "so what do you write for?" and you reply "ASSS" or "I'm an ASSS writer", it'd have connotations of a small man writing inside a large person's anus. Or imply that we are sh*t. Either way,its not that cool.

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

11th Dec 2006 at 12:25 am

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

ew you kissed him? dont you know he's scottish?

oops.im drinking and i didnt realize there was more than one page. my bad
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

wombat

| 8,154 posts

11th Dec 2006 at 9:30 pm

Technically sexy.

I think it is good that it is separate from VR, as you can white about it on CVs and forms, if so inclined, without anybody going "the vegetable revolution? - lol!"

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

12th Dec 2006 at 11:44 am

Grog me.

ooh, this is all coming to fruition now. My exams end tomorrow so I can give it more attention then. When would we be looking to start up? I'd certainly be interested in doing the music/film bit of entertainment, though not sure I could do it all on my own. Can there be two to share that responsibilty? We can have alternate 'b*tch' days.

And for the benefit of Denesha, my name is Thomas 'Fun Cheeks' Meek. Or at least that's what it says on my birth certificate.

Masthead. Ha.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: