Short Story and Poems Comp Submissions

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Dalek

| 412 posts

13th Mar 2006 at 11:34 am

Stand and Deliver!!

Could you please post ONLY your short story and poetry submissions here. And a maximin of one story and one poem per entrant. (Sorry to all those who have posted already)
The deadline for submissions is the 18th of March.

Edited by Dalek Mar 2006

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

13th Mar 2006 at 11:59 am

here is my choice of poem, I decided that of all the tripe I have written, this is the one I will enter, I will submit the story later

Run

no
I don't need to
I need to run
run away
get out
go as far as I can

get outta here
to where it is better
where it's calm
free from the Chaos
back to the start
away from the mess
just run

run
as fast as I can
faster than that
til I can't stop
run
pound my feet
til they blister
keep runnin'

get away
go so fast
get dizzy from speed
keep goin'
til you feel you cant go on
and then continue
further onwards

you'll know when your there
til then head forward
to the end
and when your there
stop
stop and look
to the start

see it
enjoy it
know that you have cleared it
as you look back
you'll see it
and you'll see how small it is
and you'll wonder why you ran
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Mutter

| 701 posts

13th Mar 2006 at 10:42 pm

Mutter oh gib mir Kraft

I Must! I Must!

I must hack, I must slash,
I must tear everything asunder,
I must make it bleed, I must make it cry,
I must rip off its skin, I must make it blind,
I must rape, I must mutilate,
I must kill the innocent,
I must slaughter the guilty with a rusty blade,
I must force myself upon you,
I must force myself deep inside you,
I must destroy your heart and womb from the inside,
I must defile you from the front and the rear,
I must set fire to the house,
I must salt the earth,
I must poison the water,
I must halt all birth,
I must destroy, I must pillage, I must rape,
I must destroy all that is yours,
I must laugh at your tears,
I must torture your fears,
I must break every bone,
I must stop myself,
I must! I must! Be! In love,
I must raise an army in your name,
I must purify this world so its good enough for you,
I must kill the rapist,
I must kill the women haters,
I must do it for you! My Love!
Die Sonne scheint mir aus den Händen
kann verbrennen, kann euch blenden
wenn sie aus den Fäusten bricht
legt sich heiß auf das Gesicht
sie wird heut Nacht nicht untergehen
und die Welt zählt laut bis zehn

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 1:56 am

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

Can I use THIS as my entry?

I wanted to use a different story but I've just realised I don't have it saved on disc and I really don't fancy typing it all out.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 10:03 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

:-[ Here's mine...

Flowers of Despair

Matthew looked up, and noticed a gang of boys. As they walked past, he heard them laughing at him.
He had hoped to inspire greatness, but all he inspired was ridicule.
He sat on the bench, drinking from a bottle of whisky. There wasn't much left: he had drank most of it the previous night. He threw the empty bottle in the bin, and picked up the photograph of Alisha. He looked at it briefly, and stroked her face through the glass, then put it in this pocket. The frame was large, and would only just fit. It weighed heavy in his pocket, but he didn't care, it was a constant reminder of her.
This is my last night of drinking, he thought. Tomorrow, I'm going to make a new start for myself. I could still be a teacher.

His father was a bully. He wouldn't let Matthew's mother go out to work, as he expected her to stay at home and devote her life to him.
His parents had divorced when he was 13. He didn't know why: they had tried to involve him. He thought that his mother was better off on her own, but she felt differently. Just after the divorce, she had started talking about going to college. That had been six years ago, but she had still not got around to it. Maybe if he went back to college...

He woke up the next morning, and reached inside his pocket, checking that the photograph was still there. He had been living rough since March; it was now September. He had spent much of that time walking about aimlessly; two days ago, he had noticed a hostel. It was a few streets away from the bench where he slept, and was the only one in town. He would
go there.

"Hello, can I help?" asked the woman at reception.
"Um... yeah. Um... I'm just looking for somewhere to stay."
"Well, the lady in Room 3B moved out yesterday. But you need to fill in a form. We have to keep a record of everyone who stays here. Here's a pen."
He picked up the pen with his right hand. He tried to write, but he couldn't. His hands were shaking.
"I'm sorry, but I can't. My hand won't..."
"It's all right. I can fill it in for you. What's your name?"
"Matthew Johnson."
"What's your middle name?"
"Daniel."
As she was writing, he looked at the desk. He saw a Valentine's card, and a vase filled with some dying red roses.
"Date of birth?"
"The 20th of May, 1985."
"You need to sign here."
Eventually, he signed the bottom of the form. It took him ages, or at least it seemed that way. He handed the form back.
"Here's your key. Breakfast is at 8, and we close for the night at
10 o'clock."
"How do I get to the room?"
"Go up the stairs, then turn right."
"Thanks."
She nodded.
Matthew followed her directions. He opened the door and sat down on the bed. He got back up again, and closed the door. Then he looked around the room, taking in his surroundings. The room had two chairs, and a table with a clock on it. There was a bathroom, containing a toilet, a sink and a shower.
He felt relieved to be staying at the hotel. He was glad to be safe and warm, and away from the cold, unforgiving streets.
The wallpaper was white, but it had started to yellow with age. It was decorated with a pattern of blue flowers. Everything else in the room was yellow, from the ceiling to the curtains to
the carpet.

He took a shower. He found some soap, which had shrunk to almost nothing, and was covered with other people's hair, but the water was hot.
He wiped the steam from the mirror and looked in. He didn't recognise himself. His hair was long, and he had started to grow a beard. He had never had one before, and he stroked his stubble. He was a mess.
He used the soap to wash his hair. He couldn't remember the last time he was clean. He spent the rest of the day in bed, thinking about what he would do tomorrow.
He wanted to get his life together, but he couldn't do it alone. He needed to talk to someone who could help him. Lately, alcohol had been his only friend.
He couldn't turn to his father. And his mother had been through enough: he didn't want to cause her any more pain. The only person he could turn to was Peter. He had meant to call Peter and ask him for help, but the days had turned into weeks, and then into months.

In the morning, he dressed, making sure that the photograph was in his left pocket, and the key in his right pocket.

"Can I use the phone, please?" he asked the woman at the
reception desk.
She nodded.
He looked in his right pocket. He had forgotten that he had some money. It was only
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 10:15 am

here's my story for the competition

Meeting Sarah

The train up had taken four hours, before that it had taken three hours to actually get to the station from which the train left. The fact that the train was forty five minutes late only added to the length of time this was taking, yet the man expected it, after all the trains were in a state. From their there was a further two hour bus ride to his final destination. It was half six, and a rather warm summer evening when he arrived there. He looked around, not actually sure of where it was he was going, this was his first time their after all. From the pocket of his trousers he pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. It was a map, and not really a clear one, but it was the best he could find online with such short notice. After much fumbling he found the point were he was to finally meet her, yet she was not the only person their. He searched for her, eventually finding her lying near to a withered oak tree. She hadn't seen him, so he stood there for a while, just looking, unsure of what was the best way to start. He had been debating with himself the whole way up hear what to say. Eventually he got up the courage he needed and sat down beside her.

Edited by Dr Namgge Mar 2006
A Random Link

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 10:16 am

Edited by Dr Namgge Mar 2006
A Random Link

Quote:

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 10:39 am

River Phoenix

He looked for the receptionist, but she wasn't there. He left his key on the desk, then walked to Peter's house.

Peter opened the door.
"Come in. It's good to see you."
They both sat on the sofa. Peter didn't ask any questions.
"I had a shower, but I still smell. I've been wearing these clothes for months. I feel ashamed."
"Borrow some of mine if you like."
"Thanks."
"Don't worry about it."
Matthew walked up the stairs. He went into Peter's bedroom, opened the wardrobe, and put on some jeans and a T-shirt. The clothes were similar to what he had been wearing before, except they were clean. They were also too big for him.
He walked downstairs. He emptied his pockets, and put his money and the photograph on the table. He noticed something in his jeans pocket: it was the key to his mother's house. He put that on the table as well.
"Is it all right if I use your washing machine?"
"Yeah, sure."
He put his clothes in the wash. He went to the table, picking up the photograph, key and money. He put his stuff on the windowsill in Peter's spare room. He walked downstairs and sat on the sofa.
"Your house looks the same as when I was last here. Same silver walls, same purple carpets."
"I painted the wall in the spare room blue. My one concession to normality... It was good of my parents to buy this house. I'll pay them back one day."
He paused. Then he said, "Anyway, what have you been
up to?"
"Alisha split up with me last year. I dropped out of university, I couldn't see the point of going any more. Then I started drinking. I got sacked from my job. I stopped paying rent, so the landlord evicted me.I slept rough for a few months, apart from last night. So, have you seen Alisha recently? I just thought you might have, seeing as though she's doing the same course as
your cousin."
"Didn't you hear about Alisha?"
"No. What do you mean?"
"Alisha died six months ago. I'm sorry, Matthew."
Matthew looked at Peter with a dazed expression.
"Have you got a new collection out?"
"What?"
"I said, have you got a new collection out?"
"Oh, right. Yeah, I've sold my clothes to a few shops."

For the next few days, Matthew was quiet and withdrawn. Peter had started to feel concerned. Still, perhaps he needed some time on his own. So, every afternooon, Peter went to his studio in town, where he worked on some sketches.

"I couldn't ask you before. I needed to, but I couldn't. How did
Alisha die?"
"I wasn't there when she died. I heard about it from my cousin. He heard about it from one of his friends. She was walking to university, then she was run over by a car."
"Was the driver drunk?"
"No. He hadn't been drinking."
"Was he on drugs?"
"No. Alisha wasn't looking where she was going."
"I always hoped I'd get back with Alisha... I can't believe she's dead... It was my fault she broke up with me... She told both her parents about us... I told my mum but I didn't tell my dad. I was always closer to Mum, especially after the divorce. I didn't tell Dad, because he's racist. He wouldn't have liked Alisha... You know after Alisha split up with me?"
"Yeah?"
"Was she seeing anyone else?"
"No, she wasn't. My cousin said that she used to talk about you. She wanted to get back with you, work things out."
"I should have stood up to my dad. I should have told him that I was going out with Alisha. I should have told him that I didn't care what he thought. And then, she wouldn't have..."
"But there's no use blaming yourself. It wasn't your fault. You can't keep saying 'what if' and 'if only'. Alisha would have wanted you to get on with your life."
"I know. I'm going to enrol at university tomorrow. Well, re-enrol. I'm still worried about going back though; I feel nervous."
"It'll be OK. You can do it."

The following morning, he visited the graveyard where Alisha was buried. Peter had offered to go with him, but Matthew had said that he would rather go on his own. He needed to do this alone. He knew that he would probably cry once he was at her grave, and he didn't want to cry in front of Peter.
He had asked if he could have some flowers to put on the grave, Peter's garden had roses, forget-me-nots and a weeping willow. He wasn't that bothered about the garden, it was his mother's doing. The place needed a woman's touch, she
had said.
Matthew sat on the garden bench for a while. He got up and walked around, looking at all the flowers. He looked at the blues; he had asked what they were yesterday, and Peter said they were forget-me-nots. They were delicate and fragile, and looked as though they would break if anyone so much as touched them. I know how you feel, little flowers, he thought.
He took Peter's scissors out of his coat pocket. He cut a few flowers. He put the scissors in his left pocket.
He walked to the graveyard carrying the flowers; it was a long walk, but he didn't care.
He approached the bus stop; a friendly-looking lady was waiting there.
"Who's the lucky girl?" she smiled, noticing the flowers.
"I'm not going on a date."
As he walked on, he said to himself: These are flowers
of despair.
He put the flowers on her gave. He looked at the flowers on the other graves. There were dead flowers everywhere.

"I can't believe you're gone," he whispered. "At least, I couldn't. When Peter told me, I kept thinking that I'd wake up and realise it was all a bad dream. Or he would

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 10:48 am

River Phoenix

tell me he was joking. But now I'm here, it makes everything... real.
"Do you remember when we went on that date, when you took me to a New Age festival? I thought you were weird... I lost you for two hours, and I had to put a message on the notice board. But then I found you... Remember when we went to the lighthouse, when we put a message in a bottle? You wrote a poem on some paper, but we forgot to write our names and addresses. Yeah, we had some good times together."
He started to cry. At first, he tried to wipe away the tears. Then he decided that, since no one else was there, it didn't matter.
"I thought we'd get back together. That's what I told him. And he said you wanted to as well. So you still loved me. I used to wonder if you hated me. At least now I know.
"These past months have been a blur. I couldn't cope without you, so I started drinking. I thought it would take away all my pain and sadness, but it didn't. Not really. Anyway, I gave up. I have to concentrate on going to university. You know I always wanted to be a teacher. I want to succeed, so that you can be proud of me... I'll come back soon."
He turned and walked away.

Dalek

| 412 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 12:15 pm

Stand and Deliver!!

Here's my story.

The Brothel

The light leaked past the shutters on the low windows creeping slowly through to the puddles on the old cobbled street below.

Edited by Dalek Mar 2006

Dalek

| 412 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 12:27 pm

Stand and Deliver!!

Here's my poem.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 1:25 pm

leftthisplace28-12-07 - Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

We are carried by our Mothers like a whistle on the wind.

When I was a child there had been a war, I remember little about my life at that time, I do remember the people,the characters and family I was surrounded by in the Kurdish village of my birth. The war destroyed my village,our village like it did many others. It was not a slow relentless decline like the pounding of the sea on a coastal outreach,but a scream in the night,confusion, tears and burning,the roar of burning and the crisp crackle of wood twisting in the flames.

When my village died the news forgot to give a special notice of it, it passed unknown like its neighbours, a corpse unburied and there was no time to morn it. My mother my tiny sisters and I had escaped into the forest, several other familes managed to get away , most where not that lucky. We had had a farm on the farside of the village and by this fate had been granted time for Mother to gather us children and a few belongings and our documents. My Father was already lost to the war, like many men in our rural society he had been conscripted about a year before and we had not heard anything of him since.
It was my Mothers wish that we forget him,i did not understand this then and did not understand why we had never gone back home after the war.

Something else had died along with our village, an aincent tradition that had held out in our tiny little isolated world. The language that is my mothertongue had in those days two versions,the spoken version and the whistled version, whistling among the fields and the hills carried higher and longer and further and had survived in our small farming community.
Each word had a whistle as well as a standard pronouncination, similar in a way to yodelling but more complex and diverse and more varied in tone.Once you had cut teeth you learnt to whistle.

I do not whistle now, nor do I speak my old language, my mother had long since died and when I talk,I talk in English as I have an appartment in New York city. it is very different there, the only whistles I hear are those which are used to hail a taxi-cab.
I travel

Edited by leftthisplace28-12-07 Mar 2006
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

14th Mar 2006 at 1:49 pm

leftthisplace28-12-07 - Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

(part two)

There is not much of anything left here now. I am relived I havent seen any skeletal or part mumified bodies, then I shudder as I think they where probably all burnt or buried in a mass grave, or worse where left and picked apart by dogs and scavenger birds. Did the soldiers rape the dying? It is funny what you think when you cannot find answers, it was silent here now, no dying, no soildiers, no rapists, no people. Only the sound of my engine I realise i have stopped driving outside the church, I am parked in dirt crying over stones,me with no heart, no feelings. I dismiss this of course as hormones.

I drive on with some new resolution and make my way up the graduating slopes there are fewer ruins to count now, I am nearly home.
There it is, that must be it. Hesitant i could not bring myself to leave the bus,I sat half looking out of the window and half staring at my hands on the steering wheel. Eventually my thoughts where disturbed by an increasing need to pee. I left the bus and hurried off away from what was once my home into the forest where we had once seeked cover for other reasons. Obviously there would be nobody to see me but I felt it best to hide that way, these are my memories I do not want to p*ss on them.
It is of course 'hormones' again that i have to pee at all. Journeys have become more difficult , the baby pressing on my bladder, hindering my movements. i decide baby in mind, to see the house. I move taking photographs through the ruined stone crop circle, the little henge like indicator that once this was a home, a stone blue line in a window on a plastic stick, there was life here once like there is life inside of me.

I touched the stones, no warmth on them now, not even from the sun,cold stones exposed and mossy, lichens have sprouted , my home is home to them now. I smile at that, the idea of nature moving on and giving life to the dead, and I smile as my baby kicks me another reminder of mother nature and her big plan for us all. I rememberd my sisters who had died young as we had moved from camp to billet to hovel in those early years and I remebered my Mothers happy eyes, full of huge

Edited by leftthisplace28-12-07 Mar 2006
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

Rose

| 3,316 posts

15th Mar 2006 at 10:21 am

A very attractive man. Not me. Him.

My entry

It started as an exercise in descriptive writing for my class. The whole thing is about 3,000 and is my final piece for the year. I'm just putting a small bit here, though.
Anton Chekhov - Smash Hits

PsyPo

| 2,175 posts

15th Mar 2006 at 12:08 pm

PsyPo - The original potato.

The original potato.

Quest For The Scrolls - A humourous one.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/27286042/
Follow me on Twitter: @DJKrisopolis
Follow me on Twister: Right Hand Green!

http://thekettlereview.blogspot.co.uk/
http://52876.bandcamp.com/

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

15th Mar 2006 at 4:56 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

"Midnight"

-A true heart I feel,
blushing at the stars,
my fluttering timid hope,
reaching silent alone,
waxing moonlight dreams,
flicker in my soul,
a faint sigh,
fading to the sky,
waiting through the night,
a new dawn's fragile light.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

One Page