Ideas for poems

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

22nd Jul 2005 at 12:03 pm

equality, tolerance & logic

Hi

at the moment i can't think so. please can you send Ideas so that I and others could write poems.

thanks
Now is that salary pre or post tax?  

100% of Earth's population agrees with the following statement.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

22nd Jul 2005 at 1:09 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

erm i was talkign to someone hte other day about how political poetry is often cheesy and how most political poetry should be put into metaphors like the african situation becaomes a pregnant woman being mistreated in the western world.
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

25th Jul 2005 at 1:28 pm

Political Poetry. I like the idea. However this could be very difficult for one to produce. One will try.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

25th Jul 2005 at 10:42 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

its not hard to do, but it is often hard to do well, and go with the neen poetics, go for more subtlty translate it into an everyday situation to make the politics of it come across strongly. no one wants to be slapped with the same fish they get slapped with everyday find another edge on it, whether you chose to use a feather or a sledge hammer is your choice.
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

25th Jul 2005 at 11:35 pm

For political poem ideas, I reccomend Kathleen Hanna (not strictly poetry, but most of her lyrics are political/feminist), Saul Williams, Penny Broadhurst and Rage Against The Machines' lyrics.
Thinking of ideas/themes for poems can be hard. I think it's best not to just pick a theme and then write about it, but write about something you actually want to. If you see what I mean.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

26th Jul 2005 at 1:02 am

Dissimulation -

Creativity is the most elusive beast in the forest, Sammy. The only indication of its very existance could be something as seemingly insignificant as a shard of broken bracken, or some fresh claw marks upon the side of a frosty willow tree.

You could ramble through the desolate undergrowth for months and never be graced by its scarce beauties. In fact, you could probably get so fed up looking for the creature, you may decide to pack up your camping stove and head back to the vibrant chaotic sprawl of the big city. There you could re-emerge yourself in the tedious slendor of flipping potential heart attacks at the local fast death diner and briefly give up all hope of find that creative phantom. After half an hour though, you turn around and the creature is cowering on the floor behind you, licking partly hydrogenated vegetable oil from the side of the deep fat fryer. How this creature looks, thinks, sounds, moves, behaves, smells, or even tastes, is up to you.

Now you can see it, find your own voice. The moral of this story is not found in the solice of easy solutions, Sammy.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

27th Jul 2005 at 9:36 am

Thank you. I've seen the light and now know which path to take.

IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

One Page