VR and IE

Posted In: FAQ. Reading This Thread:

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Jan 2008 at 10:29 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

When at work i have to use IE, and every few posts i make crash the browser, and PMing is almost impossible.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

25th Jan 2008 at 10:34 pm

Chris Kamara -

At work if I fire up IE to use VR, it is very slow and clunky. Scrolling down a page makes it all hash up. It's a sh*t browser, but there was a time when VR was (probably) most compliant with IE than other browsers.

A solution to your problem, Alice, would be to just download Firefox on the PC you're using, but that's essentially sweeping the problem under the mat.

Off hand I don't know why it would keep ballsing up. At my work, I think it's some browser security issue that slows things down, but without having a proper gander it's hard to know.

Does it make other sites crash too, or just VR?

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Jan 2008 at 10:35 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: farmer_jack

Does it make other sites crash too, or just VR?

For me, it does it on any messageboard.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

25th Jan 2008 at 10:36 pm

Chris Kamara -

What version of IE would that be?

At work I used to use 5.5 and it was fine, but then I upgraded it to 7.0 and it went all spazzy on my a*s.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

25th Jan 2008 at 11:01 pm

Πανδώρα -

i might just be lucky, but since i left my secondary school i've not had any problems with this dog arseing thing, bar the scroll making me feel sick the way it does it but thats probably the settings on this computer (which i can't find to change ¬_¬)

afaik, the old school comps were 6.0, but being them, waiting forever for a thread to load will have been down to their dodgy set ups

iuse the term lucky very loosely, and after using it to post this, waiting forever andf a day for it to actually work, i shall avoid it like the plague once more

also the thing won't edit a post on this computer

Edited by Πανδώρα Jan 2008
*burp*

Insane Jam Sow

| 443 posts

26th Jan 2008 at 8:53 pm

Insane Jam Sow - Bill Bryson is my God

Bill Bryson is my God

Well, I appear to be using IE 7.0, and I generally have no problems with the site.

Admittedly, I don't post all that often or send PMs, so I don't know if that causes it to crash a lot, but in terms of browsing, no problem.

(Although: I do occasionally get the blurry scroll down thing if I try to do it before the page has finished loading.)
http://www.freewebs.com/megazine

Yes, my website still exists. Just about.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

29th Jan 2008 at 12:26 pm

Colin -

Quote: girlpants
Anyone on a Uni or school computer should really have this

http://mobilefirefox.com/

You don't need to install it. it will run off a pocket drive, MP3 player, or any external storage device and wont cause trouble with the networks your place use.

It seems not...
...unless it's just because I put it on the college server and not my own drive? I doubt that, though.

http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Jan 2008 at 12:32 pm

Chris Kamara -

It probably is because you put it on the college drive. It'll be protected to prevent unauthorised applications from executing, probably. Hence the using of the USB drive.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page