invisible backgrounds

Posted In: FAQ. Reading This Thread:

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

27th Jun 2006 at 11:13 am

how do I make an image so that it doesn't have a background to it. I know some people alreayd have avatars where part of the avatar is actually transparent so the colour of there responce box can be seen. I just wonderred how you do it

if it's possible I'd like to know how it's done in paint (as I know that better than anythign else) but I also have Adobe Photoshop 3.0 if needs be

thanks
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

27th Jun 2006 at 9:58 pm

I was sure there was a way to do it in paint, i remember reading about it in something or other, but it could have been a downloaded add on
A Random Link

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 1:34 pm

Chris Kamara -

Yeah depending on your version of Windows, transparency with GIFs in Paint is possible. If you're running Windows 2000 or less, then there's apparantly an option in Image > Attributes that lets you select a transparent colour.

But I'd not recommend it, it's a long-winded approach and there's no anti-aliasing. Plus you have to be using an awful operating system ;p

(Anti-aliasing improves the quality by getting rid of the jaggedy edges around the edge of the image by blending/blurring it and making it look smoother)

You'd be better off in Photoshop or PaintShop Pro, or even the GIMP as it's open source (free).

As you're in Photoshop 3.0 you'll need the Gif89A Export Filter which adds support for transparency. You'll find it knocking about somewhere. Try adobe.com or google.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:07 pm

Quote: CandyAngelBabe
But I'd not recommend it, it's a long-winded approach and there's no anti-aliasing. Plus you have to be using an awful operating system ;p

(Anti-aliasing improves the quality by getting rid of the jaggedy edges around the edge of the image by blending/blurring it and making it look smoother)

I'll stick with the lack of Anti-aliasing, Pixels don't look right blurred at the edges. I shall try that then
A Random Link

Quote:

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:25 pm

it works now

and I figured out how to animate t'other day too

*decides to put off making an animated avatar for now*
A Random Link

Quote:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:26 pm

Chris Kamara -

Sorry, what works?

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:31 pm

I made the background not be white on non white responce boxes (tell me it works on the colour screems other than green someone please)

I just clicked what you said Martin, and it seemed to work fine
A Random Link

Quote:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:32 pm

Chris Kamara -

For sure, it's grand.

If you're getting what you want from Paint, then stick with it But seriously, upgrade your Photoshop

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:35 pm

to be fair, all I use Photoshop for is making the switch from BMP to JPG for standard images, I don't own a camera or a scanner, and since all my art is in pixels Paint works best for that
A Random Link

Quote:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:43 pm

Chris Kamara -

It can be a nice effect, the pixel-y look. I regret not using some in a poster I did on computer games last year on a graphics module at uni.

Here's the poster, incidentally. (albeit in a much much lower resolution!):

Could have done with more work but I ran out of time.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:46 pm

why oh why did you include a screenshot of Sonic the Fighters?
A Random Link

Quote:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:48 pm

Chris Kamara -

To show how games can change

It's pretty shoddy though that game, I recall.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jun 2006 at 3:50 pm

there are worse, anyone want to play Sonic Blast for the Game gear? what about Sonic Drift for the Game gear? Sonic Shuffle anyone?

Fighters wasn't that bad, too bad Bean and Bark never stuck around, I liked them
A Random Link

Quote:

Πανδώρα

| 15,328 posts

1st Jul 2006 at 4:24 pm

Πανδώρα -

Quote: CandyAngelBabe

But seriously, upgrade your Photoshop

just a heads up, it'll be Photoshop *Elements* 3.0
since he'll have Adobe Companion Pack for VAIO...
*burp*

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

2nd Jul 2006 at 7:01 am

yeah, that's the one, sorry for the confusion
A Random Link

Quote:

IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

One Page