Marry me?

It's a riot.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

29th Jan 2011 at 11:26 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Not going to lie. I have absolutely no f*cking idea what's going on.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

29th Jan 2011 at 11:32 pm

I Cunt Spell -

I hear it's nice there this time of year.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:30 am

Carpet Remnant -

What Barry said

Animal

| 32,547 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:46 am

Animal -

Quote: Charles D*ckens, Jan 2011
What Barry said
Same.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 11:24 am

Carpet Remnant -

Having looked it up, that is totally crazy and I really hope it resolves itself with a minimum amount of bloodshed, from the looks of it there has already been too much.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 1:31 pm

I aim to misbehave

Having looked it up, that is totally crazy and I really hope it resolves itself with a minimum amount of bloodshed, from the looks of it there has already been too much.

Care to share? Cos sharing is caring.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 1:37 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Abin Cooper, Jan 2011

Tunisia rose up and overthrew their government cause of rising food costs and unemployment and all that fun stuff. Egypt saw that and was like 'hey we have rising food costs and unemployment as well!' and now they have like...taken the capital pretty much. Apparently there's no police and what soldiers there are are pretty much just getting along like friends with the protesters. America has apparently told the Egyptian government that they aren't allowed to just shoot all the protesters, which is nice of them, maybe America is going to offer to do it for them, who knows.
basically it seems like the protesters won't be happy until...President Mubarak steps down and President Mubarak won't be happy until the protesters get bored and go home.
That is what I believe the situation to be based on my quick research, I imagine it's not entirely accurate.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 1:40 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Oh and apparently loads of prisoners all over Egypt have overthrown their guards and escaped, which is CRAZY.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 1:42 pm

Animal -

Tunisia rose up and overthrew their government cause of rising food costs and unemployment and all that fun stuff. Egypt saw that and was like 'hey we have rising food costs and unemployment as well!' and now they have like...taken the capital pretty much. Apparently there's no police and what soldiers there are are pretty much just getting along like friends with the protesters. America has apparently told the Egyptian government that they aren't allowed to just shoot all the protesters, which is nice of them, maybe America is going to offer to do it for them, who knows.
basically it seems like the protesters won't be happy until...President Mubarak steps down and President Mubarak won't be happy until the protesters get bored and go home.
That is what I believe the situation to be based on my quick research, I imagine it's not entirely accurate.
Nothing like a good old fashioned uprising..

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 1:45 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Animal, Jan 2011

Nothing like a good old fashioned uprising..
We are the Judean People's Front, NOT the People's Front of Judea!

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 2:20 pm

I aim to misbehave

Oh and apparently loads of prisoners all over Egypt have overthrown their guards and escaped, which is CRAZY.

Wow, that's possibly the worst part of all

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 2:23 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Yeah it's pretty bad. It's also the part that pushes it from being a terrible current news event into sounding like the plot of a film. Desensitized? Me? No.
It is pretty horrible, over 100 deaths in the capital apparently.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 2:36 pm

Animal -

Yeah it's pretty bad. It's also the part that pushes it from being a terrible current news event into sounding like the plot of a film. Desensitized? Me? No.
It is pretty horrible, over 100 deaths in the capital apparently.
That I did not know.

Cycling Antics

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:13 pm

Delirium Tremens -

How would you survive if the government killed the internet? I had no laptop today and got a sh*tload done.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:20 pm

Animal -

Quote: James, Jan 2011
How would you survive if the government killed the internet? I had no laptop today and got a sh*tload done.
We were talking about this in work the other week. Conversation then devolved into just how easy it would be to use the internet, or rather massive denial of internet as a major terrorist attack.

In all seriousness, it wouldn't take much effort to completely bring the world to a standstill.

A few staff in ISP's throughout the world. A remotely triggered bomb stored in a 1 or 2U rack mount server, thats destined for a major POP or nodal point. (Seriously, security checks at these places are none existant - at least in the UK, so it would be alarmingly easy to set this up.) You could even leave it so the server was fully functional if you so chose.

Set them all off at once and sit back to watch the forthcoming global meltdown.

Sure there are other 'dark' and essentially 'off grid' services in place for use by the governments and militaries but they would never be able to cope with the scale of traffic needed to keep the worlds economy afloat for long enough to conduct more than a few minutes business. Something of this scale is recoverable, but it would take days, possibly weeks to get things back in order - the events that would occur in that time would pretty much do the damage needed.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:21 pm

Carpet Remnant -

We were talking about this in work the other week. Conversation then devolved into just how easy it would be to use the internet, or ratehr massive denial of internet as a mjaor terrorist attack.

In all seriousness, it wouldn't take much effort to completely bring the world to a standstill.

A few staff in ISP's throughout the world. A remotely triggered bomb stored in a 1 or 2U rack mount server, thats destined for a major POP or nodal point. (Seriously, security checks at these places are none existant - at least in the UK, so it would be alarmingly easy to set this up.) You could even leave it so the server was fully functional if you so chose.

Sure there are other 'dark' and essentially 'off grid' services in place for use by the governments and militaries but they would never be able to cope with the scale of traffic needed to keep the worlds economy afloat for long enough to conduct more than a few minutes business. Something of this scale is recoverable, but it would take days, possibly weeks to get things back in order - the events that would occur in that time would pretty much do the damage needed.

And then you'd just have to penetrate their protocols and you'd be in control of everything.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:22 pm

I aim to misbehave

We were talking about this in work the other week. Conversation then devolved into just how easy it would be to use the internet, or ratehr massive denial of internet as a mjaor terrorist attack.

And then you'd just have to penetrate their protocols and you'd be in control of everything.

But what about the firewall, George? WHAT ABOUT THE FIREWALL?!

Animal

| 32,547 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:25 pm

Animal -

ROLFCOPTER.

Yeah, it is a bit Die Hard 4/Firesale to be honest. When we were talking about it, I asked if they were just using unused plots for a die hard sequal.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:28 pm

Carpet Remnant -

IT IS A WALL THAT IS ALREADY ON FIRE, I THINK IT WILL COLLAPSE WITHOUT ANY REAL EFFORT, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I AM TIMOTHY OLYPHANT

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:33 pm

I aim to misbehave

IT IS A WALL THAT IS ALREADY ON FIRE, I THINK IT WILL COLLAPSE WITHOUT ANY REAL EFFORT, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I AM TIMOTHY OLYPHANT

[http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/timothy-olyphant-the-break-up-world-premiere-6anTXz.jpg]

He's Olyphantastic!

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 10:40 pm

Carpet Remnant -

ONLY ON VR COULD A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE TRAGEDY IN EGYPT RESULT IN A PHOTO OF TIMOTHY OLYPHANT IN UNDER 3 PAGES.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th Jan 2011 at 11:16 pm

I aim to misbehave

One last thing before the thread goes back to being about people dying n stuff

[http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/217521921_7GXmh-L-2.jpg]

wombat

| 8,154 posts

31st Jan 2011 at 6:44 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Egypt is the key to brokering agreements in the Middle East, which is why America isn't too keen on dissing the dictatorship.

As nice as it would be for Egypt to bum Human Rights and stop throwing their journalists in jail, it is entirely possible that this 'revolution' will replace one dictatorship with another effective dictatorship. From the little I know of the Muslim Brotherhood, I am suspicious of their intentions if they sweep to power.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Animal

| 32,547 posts

31st Jan 2011 at 8:48 pm

Animal -

[http://www.blogcdn.com//media/2011/01/53950273687d97b74c0bb.jpg]

And it seems all bets are about to be off, remember what happened with the middle eastern blocks? Not to mention whats happening continuously with the chinese...

I hear the angry tapping of a million bloggers.

Cycling Antics

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

1st Feb 2011 at 12:42 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

And now the Army are refusing to supress the protests...does this mean they're going to assure a transition of power is peaceful, or are they tagging along with things with the aim of installing one of their own at the top?

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

1st Feb 2011 at 3:18 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Albert Johanneson, Feb 2011
And now the Army are refusing to supress the protests...does this mean they're going to assure a transition of power is peaceful, or are they tagging along with things with the aim of installing one of their own at the top?

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a party or person to fill the forthcoming power vacuum, but hopefully we'll avoid a Napoleon figure rising.

The United States wants Mubarek to go; he's going to go within the week, I think.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

1st Feb 2011 at 6:57 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Quote: James, Feb 2011
Quote: Albert Johanneson, Feb 2011

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of a party or person to fill the forthcoming power vacuum, but hopefully we'll avoid a Napoleon figure rising.

The United States wants Mubarek to go; he's going to go within the week, I think.

There is the Muslim brotherhood- which has overwhelming support, and also happens to currently be banned as a political party in Egypt.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Animal

| 32,547 posts

3rd Feb 2011 at 1:05 pm

Animal -

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

3rd Feb 2011 at 1:06 pm

Animal -

Quote: wombat, Jan 2011
Egypt is the key to brokering agreements in the Middle East, which is why America isn't too keen on dissing the dictatorship.
Might explain this map then...

image001.png

Cycling Antics

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

3rd Feb 2011 at 1:33 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Looks like the military is going to be actively siding with the protesters. I'm baffled as to how this plays out.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page