I hate my life.

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

14th Sept 2009 at 8:55 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Ssshhh people. Don't scare him off the site. We need new people.

Dave, people here have given you some good advice, and although it may not seem like it, everyone is in the same boat. We all hate talking to customers on the phone. But customers hate talking to us too. If you work in an office, everyone can see your screen. But you can see theirs too. If you insult a busdriver, he may throw you off. But the driver gets hundreds of passengers a day, all of whom may potentially insult the driver. We all make mistakes at work, but its hugely doubtful one mistake could lead to you being fired, losing your house, whoring yourself for money and eating your own leg. Everyone makes mistakes at work. I've made 3 mistakes this morning. And 2 of those were actually the same thing I did wrong twice. But I'll still be here tomorrow.

On the jobs issue, bad jobs are nothing more than a means to justify the end. No-one starts off in their perfect job. My first job I was a part-time waiter who also washed dishes sometimes. Terrible job. My second job was in a factory, yet it was a great job. Now I work in an office, doing what I spent 5 years in college studying. While the job is far from perfect, and I really want to leave, its a means to justify the ends. I get a good wage, I can afford to buy things I want.

While working is a job, the income helps to fund having a good time when I'm not working. And while I'm not happy here, it'll give me the experience I need to get a better job. The bad jobs are nothing more than stop-gaps until you find a good job. You can't choose your workmates, but make the most of it. If you don't like answering phones or people looking at your computer, or people generally being around you, don't work in an office.

Its like the old saying goes, "Nothing in this life thats worth having comes easy"
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

15th Sept 2009 at 9:08 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: Kid A, Sept 2009
Quote: Obinice, Sept 2009
I'm sorry Dave but your insistence that 'work=bad' is just stupid, there is no other way to describe it.

If everyone believed that murder was good, and in fact required to live life (as everyone sees work, for the most part), and I was the only person who thought murder was bad, and didn't enjoy doing it, would that make me wrong?

The odds are highly against me that I am right. If you go off the overwhelming consensus of the world, then murder is a good, required thing. It's all opinion, of course.

So you think work is a nice thing, I think it isn't a nice thing because of the kind of person I am, and the kinds of experiences I've had. These are our opinions, neither of them are stupid opinions, they are simply different opinions, each with their own merit.

What? That's a completely absurd idea and only serves to prove my point. If there was some world where murder was accepted and everybody accepted it except you then you would still be wrong and your idea of murder being bad would still be stupid because presumably in this insane alternate reality society had come to the conclusion that allowing murder was the only way for anything to work. Just like in this world everyone sees work (well, not work, earning a living) as a necessary part of life and you saying it isn't is stupid.
I don't think work is a nice thing, I think it's a necessary thing. I've only ever had one job and it was crap but I went in every day and did my best to enjoy it and on most days I actually managed. But if I'd been like you and gone in every day expecting to hate it and doing nothing to change that then, yeah, I would have hated that.
I also hate talking on the phone, to anyone, even people I know, even my closest friends, I avoid it at all costs to be honest because it makes me feel uncomfortable. So I've taken steps in my life to make that easier.

In the end if you don't want to be helped, and it seems that you don't, then there's nothing anyone can say to change your mind and you can just carry on like you are. But you should know that a lot of the time I'm actually jealous of you, while I've known you you've had girlfriends, people who really actually like you, I've been single the entire time I've known you.....so you might feel like your life is awful but lots of times I've been burningly jealous of your life.

(I don't think 'burningly' is a word)

It's funny, i used to think i was the only one from here who doesn't like talking on the phone.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

15th Sept 2009 at 9:22 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: Winston Zeddemore, Sept 2009
Quote: Rayanne Graff, Sept 2009
Quote: Obinice, Sept 2009
I'm sorry Dave but your insistence that 'work=bad' is just stupid, there is no other way to describe it.

If everyone believed that murder was good, and in fact required to live life (as everyone sees work, for the most part), and I was the only person who thought murder was bad, and didn't enjoy doing it, would that make me wrong?

The odds are highly against me that I am right. If you go off the overwhelming consensus of the world, then murder is a good, required thing. It's all opinion, of course.

So you think work is a nice thing, I think it isn't a nice thing because of the kind of person I am, and the kinds of experiences I've had. These are our opinions, neither of them are stupid opinions, they are simply different opinions, each with their own merit.

What? That's a completely absurd idea and only serves to prove my point. If there was some world where murder was accepted and everybody accepted it except you then you would still be wrong and your idea of murder being bad would still be stupid because presumably in this insane alternate reality society had come to the conclusion that allowing murder was the only way for anything to work. Just like in this world everyone sees work (well, not work, earning a living) as a necessary part of life and you saying it isn't is stupid.
I don't think work is a nice thing, I think it's a necessary thing. I've only ever had one job and it was crap but I went in every day and did my best to enjoy it and on most days I actually managed. But if I'd been like you and gone in every day expecting to hate it and doing nothing to change that then, yeah, I would have hated that.
I also hate talking on the phone, to anyone, even people I know, even my closest friends, I avoid it at all costs to be honest because it makes me feel uncomfortable. So I've taken steps in my life to make that easier.

In the end if you don't want to be helped, and it seems that you don't, then there's nothing anyone can say to change your mind and you can just carry on like you are. But you should know that a lot of the time I'm actually jealous of you, while I've known you you've had girlfriends, people who really actually like you, I've been single the entire time I've known you.....so you might feel like your life is awful but lots of times I've been burningly jealous of your life.

(I don't think 'burningly' is a word)

It's funny, i used to think i was the only one from here who doesn't like talking on the phone.

I've yet to meet anyone who likes talking on the phone in work.

Yeah, i s'pose i'm daft and paranoid or something like that.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

15th Sept 2009 at 11:13 am

learrggh -

I'll be honest, this lad sounds like a right moaning mard a*se, and if I behaved like this, I'd fully expect a slap from my Dad or one of you kind folk.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

15th Sept 2009 at 10:20 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Claire, Sept 2009

I don't mind at work, but at home I will avoid the phone at all costs.

Beaten to it, dang. Now I have nothing interesting to say.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

22nd Sept 2009 at 1:37 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Alec, Sept 2009

I don't mind at work, but at home I will avoid the phone at all costs.

Beaten to it, dang. Now I have nothing interesting to say.

Yet you follow the great VR tradition of saying something anyway!

That's an interesting point actually, I never even thought twice about using the phone at work...

Same here, before I worked in a call centre I hated phones - then I just got used to them, but still don't like using my own mobile.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: