The Big VR Movie Weview

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Topper

| 6,773 posts

14th Sept 2010 at 5:05 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Quote: I Am The Walrus, Sept 2010
Quote: Jamie McDonald, Sept 2010
I can't be arsed to do a full review as it was sh*te but he's my review of 'The Invention Of Lying' - "Sh*te".

I'm a big Gervais fan but this is the first thing he's been involved in that I've disliked. I mean, it had some good bits but just bleurghhhh....

I think I already did a review of it and thought it was sh*te too. Its highly unlikely that we're both wrong. That's just far too unlikely.

The most annoying bit was when he was insulted whenever someone said he was ugly or whatever. In a world where it is impossible to lie and nobody has ever lied before, nobody could possibly be offended at comments like that because you would hear them all the time. Plus, just because they cant lie doesn't mean they have to say every little thing that comes into their heads.

Plus Jennifer Gardner was like a f*cking child in the movie.

Yeah, gets a thumbs down from me too

Exactly that. That got me riled.

Was it me or did I see Ed freakin' Norton as a cameo as the cop who pulls Gervais and his ginger drink driving mate over? I know Ed Norton doesn't seem to do many films anymore but seriously, he's better than that...
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

14th Sept 2010 at 7:37 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I can't be arsed to do a full review as it was sh*te but he's my review of 'The Invention Of Lying' - "Sh*te".

I'm a big Gervais fan but this is the first thing he's been involved in that I've disliked. I mean, it had some good bits but just bleurghhhh....

I think I already did a review of it and thought it was sh*te too. Its highly unlikely that we're both wrong. That's just far too unlikely.

The most annoying bit was when he was insulted whenever someone said he was ugly or whatever. In a world where it is impossible to lie and nobody has ever lied before, nobody could possibly be offended at comments like that because you would hear them all the time. Plus, just because they cant lie doesn't mean they have to say every little thing that comes into their heads.

Plus Jennifer Gardner was like a f*cking child in the movie.

Yeah, gets a thumbs down from me too

Exactly that. That got me riled.

Was it me or did I see Ed freakin' Norton as a cameo as the cop who pulls Gervais and his ginger drink driving mate over? I know Ed Norton doesn't seem to do many films anymore but seriously, he's better than that...

You mustn't have seen his guest star role in Modern Family...
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

14th Sept 2010 at 7:43 pm

No, I don't even know what that is! I used to love Ed Norton though

Anyone seen The Departed? I bought it for 3 quid as I've heard it's great.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

14th Sept 2010 at 7:53 pm

I aim to misbehave

Modern Family is a great show. Really funny

The Departed is alright. Didn't think it lived up to the hype, but I seem to be in the minority. For 3 quid, it's definitely worth the money though

wombat

| 8,154 posts

14th Sept 2010 at 8:16 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Modern Family is a great show. Really funny

The Departed is alright. Didn't think it lived up to the hype, but I seem to be in the minority. For 3 quid, it's definitely worth the money though

The departed is the only film I happily watched again two weeks after seeing it the first time. I saw it the other week equally happily and would watch it right now if I could.

Where did you get it for £3?
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 12:28 pm

I aim to misbehave

Title: The Other Guys
Genre: Comedy
Good actors: Mark Wahlberg is brilliant in it. Honourable mentions to Samuel L Jackson, Dwayne Johnson and Michael Keaton
Products Placements: Prius
Minutes too long: A few. Some bits I could have done without
Deaths: A few.
Attractive females: Eva Mendes
Best Quote: It looks like Scarface sneezed on your car!
Highlight: Like I said, Mark Wahlberg is brilliant in it. In fact, most of the supporting characters are excellent.
Lowlight: WILL FERRELL SINGS! Why does he have to sing in every goddamn f*cking movie? It doesn't even fit in with the movie. Another lowlight is a certain plot point which I won't spoil. But when you see it, you'll know. Just an awful decision and whoever wrote that bit should be thrown off a 20 storey building
Score: 7 gay homeless orgies out of 10

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

18th Oct 2010 at 2:10 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Title: The Brothers Bloom.
Genre: Thriller and Comedy (i think).
Good actors: Adrien Brody, Mark Ruffalo, Racel Weisz, Rinko Kikuchi.
Products Placements: None.
Minutes too long: None.
Deaths: Yes.
Attractive males: Mark Ruffalo?
Attractive females: Penelope and Bang Bang.
Best Quote: "I want an unwritten life".
Highlight: All the characters and story are really sneaky and twisty - it is really interesting and exciting, I think. - All the characters are helping eachother together, but they are going to betray eachother too, maybe? It is pretty sweet and romantic too - Penelope and Bloom are both really lost and isolated, and also they are all the things they do instead of all the things they really want - they are roles and hobbies, I think - they both really help eachother too. Please does it make sense at-all (i am sorry i cannot explain everything properly - i am really worried i will make lots of spoilers). Also, it is lots of really neat images and different camera angles too.
Lowlight:
Score: 9 favourite new camels out of 10.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

25th Oct 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hope is important.

Title: Bunny and The Bull.
Genre: Comedy.
Good actors: Edward Hogg, Simon Farnaby, Verónica Echegui, Julian Barrett, Noel Fielding, Richard Ayoade.
Attractive males: Stephen and Bunny?
Attractive females: None.
Best Quote: "Much has been written about the art of bullfighting, but I can sum it up in one sentence...get out of the way of the bull, you idiot! Otherwise he will rip open your anus like it was a cheap velcro wallet".
Highlight: It is really weird it is really sweet and funny, but also it is pretty fruity and rude, sometimes too. Also, it is lots of tiny jokes - it is like The Mighty Boosh and Flight Of The Conchords mixed together, I think.
All the scenery and backgrounds are made out of cardboard and animations and lots of photographs - it is lots of thoughts and memories and dreamy images mixed together, I think.
Also, the ending is really sudden and surprising - everything is really emotional, suddenly, I think - it is really tragic and terrible and sad, but it is pretty sweet and hopfeul too. Everything fits together all at once, I think.
Lowlight: It is pretty scatty and frustrating a tiny bit, sometimes, I think. - Lots of scenes are really important, but also lots of other scenes are like tiny comedy sketches too.
Score: 8 mixed vegetables out of 10.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

25th Oct 2010 at 7:26 pm

I aim to misbehave

Just saw The Social Network. Won't write review. Just go see. Damn good film

Topper

| 6,773 posts

30th Oct 2010 at 9:27 am

Quote: Mr.Snrub, Oct 2010

What he done said.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

1st Nov 2010 at 9:03 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Quote: Dr. Harold Shipman, Nov 2010
Quote: Lord Havelock Vetinari, Oct 2010

What he done said.

I'll be honest, I thought it was average at best. It didn't give a reason why he wanted to do any of it, and pretty much all the characters were horrendously unlikeable.

On the other hand, Despicable Me was excellent

I was bored by Despicable me.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

2nd Nov 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hope is important.

Quote: Dr. Harold Shipman, Nov 2010
Quote: Lord Havelock Vetinari, Oct 2010

What he done said.

I'll be honest, I thought it was average at best. It didn't give a reason why he wanted to do any of it, and pretty much all the characters were horrendously unlikeable.

H e really wanted to make TheFaceBook because he can control it, and also he can choose who is allowed to join too. - He is really jealous and angry because he is really smart, but he cannot do all the things all the things he really wants to do - everything is really exclusive and cliquey. He is not so rich and privileged at-all.

He is maybe really jealous Eduardo is accepted to the Phoenix Club - Mark Zuckerberg is really smart and creative, but Eduardo is accepted because he his parents have lots of money and history. Also, he does not like the twins because they are really rich, but they are pretty arrogant and expectant too.
All the social networks were lots more important than Facebook, I think. He wanted to be really accepted and important.

Also, please did anyone see "Easy A" at-all - it is really good too, I think - it is really funny and spiky and smart. Please can I recommend it for everyone too?

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

4th Nov 2010 at 11:25 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Sociopath.

(I haven't seen it)

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

4th Nov 2010 at 11:28 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Actually, sorry. I'm reminded of something Tom said to me, like, a lot of people on VR think I really dislike them because I pour all types of scorn on everything they say. So just to be clear (and having re-read my posts one day, I do come off as an awful, occasionally witty, b*tch) I really like George as a human being and I need to stop skipping the non-gently-taking-the-p*ss-out-of-people parts of friendship.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

13th Nov 2010 at 9:21 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Rick Grimes, Nov 2010
Quote: Mr Bungle, Nov 2010
I watched Let The Right One In today.
I finished and thought it was ok but the more I think about it the more I realise that I absolutely adored it. Perfect film. You have to watch it.
Have you seen the remake yet? Or is this the remake I can never remember anymore?

Seriously, two years between the first coming out and a remake being released? Seems a bit nuts.

Same with The Girl with the dragon tattoo. I guess they think its justified due to the language changes, but really it isn't. Just not worth it

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

13th Nov 2010 at 9:32 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Arjen Rudd, Nov 2010
I watched Let The Right One In today.
I finished and thought it was ok but the more I think about it the more I realise that I absolutely adored it. Perfect film. You have to watch it.
Have you seen the remake yet? Or is this the remake I can never remember anymore?

Seriously, two years between the first coming out and a remake being released? Seems a bit nuts.

Same with The Girl with the dragon tattoo. I guess they think its justified due to the language changes, but really it isn't. Just not worth it
You're kidding right?

What the hell is wrong with reading subs?

OK.. yes, when watching anime I prefer the dub, but thats more down to the accents than the language.. SOmething about how japanese voice actors work doesn't sit right - it feels a little.... forced and OTT.

In film terms though I'd rather watch a a subbed film over a dub or remake.

I agree completely. I meant that the studios think it's justified because, as George said, some people won't watch subtitled films. I have no problem with it myself. Although I haven't seen Let The Right One In or The Girl...etc.

But I prefer the subbed version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. And I have actually been contemplating buying The Girl....etc. And Downfall is one of the best films I've ever seen. If a film is good, after about 5 minutes you completely forget you're reading subtitles.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

13th Nov 2010 at 10:45 pm

Delirium Tremens -

If I'm watching something by myself, I generally stick the subtitles on most things anyway. It's far too irritating a habit to do around people.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

13th Nov 2010 at 11:22 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: James, Nov 2010
If I'm watching something by myself, I generally stick the subtitles on most things anyway. It's far too irritating a habit to do around people.

I have a habit of doing that with games.

Pretty much the same on both counts. Well, movies, generally just if it's after 10pm cos I turn the sound down a bit anyway. Games I pretty much always put the subtitles on though. Just a lot easier for following instructions etc

Hey, know what film I love? There Will Be Blood, who else likes There Will Be Blood?

Bought it but never watched it. Might throw it on during the week if I get time.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

14th Nov 2010 at 1:23 am

Dissimulation -

Title: Skyline
Genre: Sci-fi
Good actors: David Zayas, of Dexter and Oz fame.
Products Placements: 5D Mark II Canon camera
Minutes too long: 87
Deaths: One or two aliens and pretty much the entire human race.
Attractive males: Eric Balfour, if he shaved.
Attractive females: In order of hotness: Crystal Reed, Scottie Thompson, Brittany Daniel.
Best Quote: I think I stand more chance bedding the entire female cast of this production, than I do finding a quote from Liam O'Donnell's intellectual abortion of a script, I'd be happy to label even halfway mediocre.
Highlight: The special effects were pretty nice, I guess.
Lowlight: Pretty much everything else. This movie is Cloverfield meets Independance day, meets getting home one night to find your mother dead on the kitchen floor, with her throat slit and her corpse in the process of getting dry-humped by the family dog. F*cking horrific. The characters are so wooden they could easily offset LA's entire 219-year carbon footprint, have less layers than a single side paper of A4 paper and are at the very best, detestable. This is mostly down to the terrible script, devoid of any real plot direction, backstory, intelligence, realism or credibility. This story has more holes than the back of Jean Charles de Menezes's head and as an event, made for equally unpalatable viewing.

Whilst I understand that alien invasion is stretching the realms of plausability somewhat, being trapped in an appartment, only a couple of miles from the hypocenter of a nuclear explosion (the military attempting to take down one of the motherships) and the blastwind doesn't even make it to the windows. I mean, really? And it gets better, David Zayas's character is looking directly at the explosion through a telescopic lense and suffers nothing more than say thirty seconds of flashblindness. Retinal burn is clearly no match for that man. Oh and later, there's the scene when two of the 'actors' are on the roof of the skyscraper. A dogfight rages in the sky above their heads. One of the alien craft downs an f-16, which crashes directly in front of them, unfortunately bouncing just high enough to miss wiping these soulless pricks by all of three feet. The drag alone would've cast them to a much deserved death, let alone factoring in any residual heat from the tail end of the aircraft. That's just what I can remember. The ending is just dreadful, by the way. Truely f*cking dreadful.

The casting is nearly as bad as the story, too. Turk from scrubs should stick to voice-acting. Eric Balfour and Scottie Thompson clearly owe someone another blowjob for landing them this gig and with a bit of luck, Crystal Reed will do a playboy center fold or two then f*ck off back to obscurity where she belongs.

I have absolutely nothing good to say about this film. One of the worst movies I've seen in years. I was so hyped from the trailers, as well. Which only goes to show that you really can polish a turd. Do yourself a favour and don't even download it when it makes it's way to the torrents. You will never get that time back.

Score: 1 brain-eating copy-and-paste alien out of 10.

Edited by Dissimulation Nov 2010

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

31st Dec 2010 at 5:29 pm

Πανδώρα -

watched Transformers, and the second offering of the same thing the other week
didn't think i would, but i quite enjoyed them.

really don;t get why they had to bring megatron back in the second one really, but i probably missed something so never mind...

yep. pretty alright films.

watched Eat, Pray, Love last night.
shockingly quite enjoyed that.
far too long though.

aaand Tron legacy. wasn't bad either.

fell asleep watching Family guy: it's a trap...

it's on the same level with Into The Wild Green Yonder there. which i still haven;t finished watching... awful. just awful.
*burp*

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

4th Jan 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hope is important.

Title: Monsters.
Genre: Science-fiction.
Good actors: Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able.
Attractive males: Andrew?
Attractive females: Samantha.
Best Quote:
Highlight: It is really neat all the monsters are really amazing and exciting, but they are not important so much - they are like regular animals now, I think. The infected zone and all the monsters are about lots of different ideas, I think - it is lots of ideas about immigration and Mexico - everything is really ruined and broken and trapped. Also, Andrew makes lots of photographs, but he does not help anyone at-all - he is like lots of newspapers and news programs, I think.
All the monsters are pretty scary and terrible, but all the controls and reactions to the monsters are lots more terrible and dangerous and destructive. It is really silly and sad!
Lowlight: None.
Score: 9 raaah!s out of 10.

Title: Megamind.
Genre: Cartoon.
Good actors: Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Jonah Hill, Brad Pitt, David Cross.
Attractive males: Metroman?
Attractive females: (i have a tiny crush about Roxanne. um).
Best Quote:
Roxanne: Aren't you forgetting to stamp my Frequent Kipnappee card?
Megamind: You of all people should know that promotion was discontinued!
Highlight: It is one of my bestest cartoons for really ages, I think - it is really funny and smart, and also it is lots of neat and different ideas too. - Lots of bits are pretty dark and thoughtful. Also, all the actors and voices are really good too.
Lowlight: None.
Score: 8 forget-me-sticks out of 10.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

10th Jan 2011 at 3:02 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Juno has been mentioned in two Rants threads so i'm glad i've not watched it. i've seen adverts for it a couple of times and that was bad enough.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

11th Jan 2011 at 1:28 pm

Hope is important.

Quote: the doc, Jan 2011
Quote: Batshi Tinsa-Ne, Dec 2010
Quote: the doc, Dec 2010
I watched Juno the other day. The girl in the lead is brilliant and I really wanted to like it but unfortunately I thought it was a complete pile of tits. Ania made me sit through the second Bridget Jones film the other day as well. Bleurgh.

Which did you prefer?

Juno, I wanted to like, but whilst watching it, I just want to yell at the screen: NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT! SHUT UP!

Tough call, they were both b*ll*cks.

The speech thing is just a continuation of the cancerous poisoning of the English language that was started by Dawson's Creek and taken to horrible extremes with the Buffy series. Grrrr.

Oh my goodness! - It is really not true! - Nearly every movie has lots of different words and patterns and speechs, but they are really not real and true at-all, ever. Honest to blog! - Lots of movies and quotes are really fun and important because they are really smart and different and random. Really real speech patterns and scripts would be really messy and scatty - people do not talk in complete sentences so much (i *think*. i am not sure).
Also, lots of old movies have perfect English and perfect accents, but they are really rigid and stilted, I think.

Also, Buffy and Dawson's Creek did not butcher the English language at-all. - They are both so smart and creative and intelligent - Bill and Ted, Clueless, Mean Girls, Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Brick, Gilmore Girls all really use and explore and expand language to create worlds and feelings and characters. Language is a weapon, I think! It is like The Wire and The Sopranos too, I think - They are all *really* creative and emotional, and also they are really articulate too. - Lots of speechs in Buffy and Joss Whedon shows are really beautiful and poetic, but they are not dumb at-all. It is lots of new ways to explain everything, I think. Please does it make sense at-all?

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

11th Jan 2011 at 1:32 pm

Hope is important.

Quote: the doc, Jan 2011
The speech thing is just a continuation of the cancerous poisoning of the English language that was started by Dawson's Creek and taken to horrible extremes with the Buffy series. Grrrr.

Started with Yoda, it did.

It started with soap operas, I think, and also texts and internet-sy things really twist and ruin words and languages now. Oh gosh - I am not sure it is true at-all.
I think lots of movies and TV shows are really beautiful and poetic, and also they use words for Good.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: