Posted In: Archive. Reading This Thread:

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

13th Apr 2005 at 3:54 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Hello.
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

13th Apr 2005 at 5:06 pm

learrggh -

[quote=Little_Blue_Fox_ link=1113407661/0#0 date=1113407661]Hello.

Gary

| 3,774 posts

13th Apr 2005 at 8:20 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

I'm upset - I've heard bad things about this film. Mainly the removal/Americanisation of some pretty major jokes and also the fact that Milliways has been written out altogether. That said, I's still like to see the film. If there are regional meets I may be able to go along, but I definitely can't make London
[http://imagegen.last.fm/Apnet/recenttracks/3/se_osiris.gif]

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

Rose

| 3,316 posts

14th Apr 2005 at 9:46 am

A very attractive man. Not me. Him.

[quote=Little_Blue_Fox_ link=1113407661/0#0 date=1113407661]Hello.
Anton Chekhov - Smash Hits

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

14th Apr 2005 at 3:04 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

I am so wearing a dressing gown and bringing a towel when I see it.

A geek is me!

Rose

| 3,316 posts

14th Apr 2005 at 5:38 pm

A very attractive man. Not me. Him.

Quote: Freshly_Squeezed_Cynic_
I am so wearing a dressing gown and bringing a towel when I see it.

A geek is me!

and i doubt you'll be the only one. if it was a little more low-budget and not the massive blockbuster that it is, i reckon dressing up to see hitch-hiker's would be the new cult. like rocky horror without the suspenders
Anton Chekhov - Smash Hits

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

14th Apr 2005 at 6:26 pm

Quote: Shadow_Of_A_Doubt_

They WROTE it OUT?
They WHAT?

F*CKMONKEYS!

They mention it at the end.

Gary

| 3,774 posts

15th Apr 2005 at 1:19 am

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

They mention it at the end.

That's the problem, and that's why from what I've read so far I'll hate this movie.

The main Hitch-Hikers story is the first 3 books. The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe is the f*cking TITLE of the second book! They go there, they have a meal, there are funny scenes like the talking cow recommending parts of itself to them at the table before going off into the kitchen to kill itself. They meet up with Marvin who has been working in the car park for a few million years while waiting for them to turn up. It has one of my favorite scenes of Marvin where he offers to stick his head in a bucket of water of the phone and Zaphod hears the splashing. Milliways is where they steal Disaster Area's stunt ship and nearly crash into a sun. AND NONE OF IT IS THERE!!! Instead, they bung it in at the very end of the film as the place they're heading off to. The whole story happens, then they nip to Milliways for a bite to eat without even showing it!

They've written out the B-Ark, most of the guide entries (apparently the guide is only actually used and shown once...), Ford turning into a penguin and just most of the jokes in general. You can find a list here.

Things are left unexplained - you're not told how or why the improbability drive works, or even what it actually does. It's not properly explained what Magrathea actually is. Deep Thought is messed up quite a bit. Instead of returning to prehistoric Earth through time-travel they land on Earth Mark II, which in the movie is portrayed as a last minute backup file. The mice are still after Arthur's brain for a trace of The Question as the sole survivor of the human race even though they've recreated Earth from the backup along with all the people and buildings.

Sorry for ranting, but I've been looking forward to this for a while and have just read through a load of pretty long reviews and am really p*ssed off

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

15th Apr 2005 at 7:40 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Quote: SRD_

And this is why Shaun of the Dead is so good. He dies!

Briefly...

As for the concept of the Meet: interested, but probably shan't, owing to important stuff coming up and lack of money, and not having actually read the Hitchhikers Books. At any rate, I hope those of you who go have fun, but be responsible with the popcorn
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

16th Apr 2005 at 5:54 pm

I'm going with a towel. To Tunbridge Wells. I'm going to Kasabian the day before, so will be too tired to go all the way to London.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

wormherder

| 141 posts

17th Apr 2005 at 4:31 pm

I'm going to go and see it because the books have been like my bible for years, but i don't hold out much hope. I've seen Marvin and the Heart of Gold and how un-hitchhikery they look. It might well be a good film, but not for people who are already fans.

And i don't really know anyone on here that well so I would be scared at a meet!
"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?"

Yes, me too

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

17th Apr 2005 at 4:37 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Excuse me ?
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

wormherder

| 141 posts

17th Apr 2005 at 4:41 pm

Yeah but you wouldn't go to a HHGG meet would you having no interest in it at all.
"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?"

Yes, me too

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

17th Apr 2005 at 6:26 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

I shall be going down to my local cinema in a dressing gown.

And yes theyve screwed it up.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

17th Apr 2005 at 11:11 pm

Quote: Punk_Rock_Revel_

They mention it, but it's just like "hey, fancy popping into Milliways for a cuppa?"
Which, basically, wrote out half a book's worth of material.

Half a book which, incidentally, was not in the book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which it seems they're basing the plot off of. All the stuff about Milliways was in, appropriately, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe." Don't get me wrong, I think some of the jokes seem to have been mutilated, and I don't have particuarly high hopes for the movie as a whole, but I think a lot of people are getting annoyed that "this bit isn't here" or "that bit isn't there" when H2G2 was never about that, it was always a very fluid idea. If you're going by "this bit isn't here", or "that's not right", then the differences between the Radio series and the books should, reasonably, make your head A SPLODE.

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

17th Apr 2005 at 11:28 pm

Hobbes - the hoopiest of all the froods

the hoopiest of all the froods

/me is not allowed to comment about any of the above subjects until she has seen the film. New Years Resolution and all. No moaning until she has seen the film.
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

Colin

| 10,038 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 12:30 am

Colin -

A Little Triv'

I just don't get this film. I mean, what's with Marvin? Whose idea was it? And how's he ever going to put THAT head in a bucket? It's just stupid.

Along with everything else mentioned, Why in hell would they change all of this on purpose? Are they not fans of HHG?

I just hope this is all one big joke; one big cover-up for the best film ever.

But it's not, of course.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Gary

| 3,774 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 1:36 am

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

Half a book which, incidentally, was not in the book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which it seems they're basing the plot off of. All the stuff about Milliways was in, appropriately, "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe." Don't get me wrong, I think some of the jokes seem to have been mutilated, and I don't have particularly high hopes for the movie as a whole, but I think a lot of people are getting annoyed that "this bit isn't here" or "that bit isn't there" when H2G2 was never about that, it was always a very fluid idea. If you're going by "this bit isn't here", or "that's not right", then the differences between the Radio series and the books should, reasonably, make your head A SPLODE.

For me the main difference is the humour style as well as the storyline. I have the printed edition of the original radio scrips (complete with the margin commentary which just makes it funnier...), but from what I've read about the movie the whole style has changed, not just the story. I can understand if they've just based things of the original book, but as I said above (I think, too drunk to check) the original radio scripts were for a 2 hours. I don't see how they'd have trouble with timing to make a good round two hour movie based on the book. Sure, things changed from the scripts to the book - but the jokes and the style were there. I'll be the first to say that the plot to H2G2 is nothing special; it's the writing style and the gags that make it. No-one can say that the gags work in radio and on paper, but not on the silverscreen. I can excuse the thought or description jokes, but cutting of dialog (and adding crap substitutes)? Just Not On.

To be fair, if the radio program/book/BBC series had not been released then this would probably been a good movie. For anyone who's new (IE: not read) H2G2 then this should be a good movie. Hell, for anyone who read it once maybe a few years ago then it should be good - but for anyone who has red the books more then once it's almost sacrilegious.

I've been a fan foe a while. Not just of H2G2, but of Douglas Adams in general. I know the work he put in to making a movie from the interview I've read and the newspaper columns he's written. From what I've read in reviews I don't think he'd be happy, and this is what p*sses me off. Maybe I should take a leaf out of Fi's book and just not comment until I've seen the movie, but hey.

What I wanted was a version of the BBC TV series (which was accurate), but with better effects and better actors. I'd love to see this done with better scriptwriters and the actors in the link that Colin posted, but now they've actually made it it's pretty unlikely they'll do another version. This is it, folks - 10 incarnations. Even the t-shirt has been made. This isn't the way I wanted to see H2G2 die.

Still, I'm only going off reviews. I will still be watching the movie so it may turn out better than I thought. It better fecking had do though...

- Mitch Hedberg

Colin

| 10,038 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 1:43 am

Colin -

Quote: Osiris_

To be fair, if the radio program/book/BBC series had not been released then this would probably been a good movie. For anyone who's new (IE: not read) H2G2 then this should be a good movie. Hell, for anyone who read it once maybe a few years ago then it should be good - but for anyone who has red the books more then once it's almost sacrilegious.

Well said.
Still doesn't make the Marvin forgivable - I know that when people read books they have different interpretations of the characters' appearances... but this is just stupid. Also, I don't see how anyone can get Zaphod's appearance so wrong, he was well described.

I must admit, when I listened to the radio version/read the books I did often forget that Zaphod had two heads, but still, that doesn't mean that he doesn't.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Gary

| 3,774 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 2:22 am

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

The head bugs me too. Even if you don't get it from the Zaphod descriptions - at the Islington party his second head was disguised as a parrot in a cage. Anyone care to explain how you can disguise your throat as a caged parrot while still looking normal?

I was looking forward to the two heads thing. Even the BBC TV series made an attempt, and so much better could be done in 2005...

- Mitch Hedberg

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 11:21 am

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Oh, gosh - I am really sorry I cannot go to London. - My mum is going to make a big party for my brother because he is moving out soon. :-[

Who is going to go becasue I can help you organise everything, still, if you like.

:-[
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 4:45 pm

Quote: Johnny_Tight_Lips_

People have a right to get p*ssed off that the book has been butchered and wh*red, if hollywood can manage to get Lord of the Rings right, they can do HHGTTG well an all.

I'm not saying they can't. I never said they couldn't. If you look at what I've said, then I agree with people's right to get angry about completely destroying the style and tone of the books. From what I've heard, that seems to be what has happened, and I also completely agree with Gary about the change in style and tone. What I'm saying, though, is that H2G2 has always had a very fluid plot, and Adams was constantly changing it in the various mediums it was made in, and what works on paper and audio may not necessarily work on screen. It infuriates me when people start nitpicking over what's in and what's out rather than looking at a) whether the anarchic, boundlessly inventive tone of H2G2 has been preserved, and b) whether it's funny.

I agree with people who say that the style and tone seems to have been changed, and criticise the movie for that. I have no time for people who want the movie to be exactly like the book in every way, shape or form.

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

18th Apr 2005 at 10:26 pm

Hobbes - the hoopiest of all the froods

the hoopiest of all the froods

/me still isn't commenting but would like to point out that they already had an almost perfect screenplay for the film the form of the script for the stageshow. A few special effects and pow - a very nice adaption which would work perfectly on film and was Adams approved.
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

Gary

| 3,774 posts

6th Jun 2005 at 12:31 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

I've seen it now. It's actually not that bad. The intro with singing dolphins was the best bit. And they kept Slartibartfast's "Late as in the late Dentarthurdent" joke which I was worried would be cut.

Bad things happened from the beginning - Arthur coming down the stairs with a hangover and banging his head on the ceiling in true American slapstick style. And the lack of Prosser dialogue. And don't get me started on what happens with Arthur and Trillian at the end...

A good movie, but I'm glad I read the reviews first.

- Mitch Hedberg

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

6th Jun 2005 at 3:20 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Simply put though, if you're adapting from a book (or indeed radio series), it's got to fit into a time frame, so some things will end up getting edited. I think Marvin only said 'brain the size of a planet' the once. Either way, it's pretty good, though.
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page