End of 'Zine

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

WLW

| 98 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:32 am

WLW - VR kicks ass!

VR kicks ass!

Hi there,
It's with a heavy heart that I have to announce the Mega-Zine is coming to an end.

We've had a few near death experiences over the years, but this time it's inescapable. If I thought there was some way to reverse the decison I'd let you know, but there isn't.

It's nothing to do with readership numbers or the quality of the 'Zine. It's just that there are some big changes afoot at Teletext - ones that mean there will be no place for WLW or Mega-Zine.

Hopefully I will be able to announce it properly in today's edition. There's no official end date yet. It'll probably be in March some time.

I'm sure a decent send-off will eventuate, but till then it's business as usual.

WLW
x

Captain Mal Reynolds

| 11,852 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:37 am

Captain Mal Reynolds - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

aww man that sucks. Forgive me for being too personal, but are you actually losing your job? Either way, sorry man

I know we complain all the time about "Zines not as good as it used to be" and about Ziners we don't like, or letter not being printed or edited, but still sad to see it go. As I've said before, I thought Zines been pretty good the past few months, and some of your replies were brilliant, in many cases, funnier than the letter itself.

I'm sure we'll find some way to continue on the spirit of Zine. But still, f*cking gutted.

End of an era
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

SEE OTHER ACCOUNT

| 1,786 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 12:32 pm

Damn shame. Best of luck with the future, WLW.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 2:45 pm

Colin -

Oh no. I did not want to consider the possibility.

Speechless. Luckily, I can type, but speechless.

I suppose the best we can do is give it a brilliant last few weeks.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Captain Mal Reynolds

| 11,852 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 2:52 pm

I aim to misbehave

I agree, we should also start thinking about maybe doing a letter from VR to be the final Zine Letter ever. I'd hate for it to be Daddypoos saying "Hey, if the black box on a plane is so strong, why don't they make the whole plane out of it? (insert other random sentence with no relevance to anything)" or something like that

Captain Mal Reynolds

| 11,852 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:04 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: SHADOW_FIGHTER
B*gger :-(
would running an online 'zine be worth it? It wouldn't be the same, obviously, but...
argh. Gutted

Perhaps. I think Andrew owns the mega-zine.co.uk website/domain thing. So perhaps there might be some way to continue Zine. Maybe setting up a new email address for people to send letters to, announcing it on the final Zine, one of us stand in for WLW each week (or if he'd be interested doing it himself) and putting the letters there. Having it all done through here would probably bring a lot more people to this site and I don't know exactly how many of them we'd want here. Could you imagine Mondo or Daddypoos coming here and reading old Zine posts? Doubt they'd be too happy

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:04 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: SHADOW_FIGHTER
B*gger :-(
would running an online 'zine be worth it? It wouldn't be the same, obviously, but...
argh. Gutted

If WLW wanted to carry on writing witty retorts as a hobby or something, I'd be quite happy to run it on mega-zine.co.uk. Actually, it would be quite nice to get an official response on trademarks and copyrights etc, will teletext let us use the name if it goes "unofficial"? It would be nice if I could get in touch with the relevant people about that. Don't want to be getting letters from lawyers in 6 months...

Anyways, WLW, I hope that you are alright on a personal/employment level.

Sh*t, I should get my a*se in gear, maybe get printed for the first time ever before it goes off. Does anyone even remember the days of it being a big deal getting printed?...  

Edited by LoonyPandora Feb 2009

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:12 pm

Colin -

I'm not sure about this talk about keeping an almost-'Zine alive... I need it as much as anyone but...
That's not to say I wouldn't contribute. It's difficult to think at the moment, really.

Captain Mal Reynolds

| 11,852 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:14 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: thelostdude
I'm not sure about this talk about keeping an almost-'Zine alive... I need it as much as anyone but...
That's not to say I wouldn't contribute. It's difficult to think at the moment, really.

I'd half agree. To be honest, I'm still going to end up thinking of letters and what-not. So long as I have somewhere to put them, even if its just a thread on here, I'd be happy enough. Although WLWs replies are always an added bonus.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:16 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

From my point of view, if WLW isn't gonna contribute to an online only 'zine, mega-zine.co.uk will just stay as an archive of past letters. I won't zombify 'zine.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:24 pm

Colin -

Quote: Paddy_Irishman

I'd half agree. To be honest, I'm still going to end up thinking of letters and what-not. So long as I have somewhere to put them, even if its just a thread on here, I'd be happy enough. Although WLWs replies are always an added bonus.

Yes, I'd still like to write my self-indulgent 'humourisms' and I think that'd be the way to get them out.
Or I could turn to the stand-up circuit, if Mark bugged me enough.

Captain Mal Reynolds

| 11,852 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:27 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Paddy_Irishman

Yes, I'd still like to write my self-indulgent 'humourisms' and I think that'd be the way to get them out.
Or I could turn to the stand-up circuit, if Mark bugged me enough.

I've been told I should do stand-up. But my legs get tired easily.

Hehe, you can use that one

Dalek

| 412 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:35 pm

Dalek - Stand and Deliver!!

Stand and Deliver!!

Best of luck, WLW. You had a good innings.

1993-2009 Mega-Zine

Captain Mal Reynolds

| 11,852 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:38 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Gavin
Best of luck, WLW.  You had a good innings.

1993-2009 Mega-Zine

True. As WLW said, Zine escaped the chop a fair few times. And I'd say many of us are surprised it lasted this long.

Ya did good kid, you did good.

Dalek

| 412 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:43 pm

Dalek - Stand and Deliver!!

Stand and Deliver!!

Time flies. 16 years. Must admit I never thought it would last that long. Makes me feel old.

Luco El Loco: Greetings and salutations for anyone passing through.
SayNotAWord: Does this thing still work?
SayNotAWord: Oh good - I ended up here at the end of a Mega Zine nostalgia rabbit hole
SayNotAWord: Nice to see there's still life in this glorious old place
SayNotAWord: It's ya boy, Parsley Possum
Luco El Loco: Hello
Emma: EVERYBODY DANCE NOW.
Luco El Loco: Wow I haven't heard that one in a while.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: I was in the shower and "Fluff The Evil One" randomly floated through my mind so I thought I'd stop by, hi 'ziners!
Captain Spiky: Considering I haven't been on this site for over a decade, I find it mildly terrifying that I still have an average of 1.71 posts per day...
Captain Spiky: I miss this place... Much loveage to anybody reading this x
Graham: Passing through, hope you beautiful lot are doing well!
Rayanne Graff: Bye; peace to small Christmas trees.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Friday night just thinkin' about sharing jaffa cakes with WLW... <3
Maeby: Almost 4 years. Where did the time go?
Pope of Chilli Town: Time flies Alice.
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Peace to small Christmas trees.
flicky: I'm back, 11 years on

Page: