An Interview With The Doc.

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

19th Nov 2008 at 1:48 pm

Megazine Letters. - You! Me! Milkshakes!

You! Me! Milkshakes!

Stu said we can make a big interview for the Discussion About Megazine thread.
It would be really cool and interesting, I hope!
We could ask lots of questions about the Void and Megazine and all his letters, and also lots of other questions and word associations too.
Also, lots of questions about music things and books and poems too.

Please does anyone want to make any questions at-all? - Please can you send them to the Megazine Letters account again. It would be really helpful!

I hope it is a cool idea.
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/591931.jpg]

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

19th Nov 2008 at 1:51 pm

You! Me! Milkshakes!

Also, please can anyone think of any other people for interviews, maybe? Stu is my last person, I think.

Please does anyone really want to be interviewed too?

Please can you PM me?

:-[

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

20th Nov 2008 at 9:27 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Wow, that sounds as cool as a mule. i will think of some questions soon and then PM them to David-James. Also, i think that there should be an interview with Mark, that would be cool too.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

the doc

| 23,161 posts

21st Nov 2008 at 9:25 am

the doc -

I mentioned an interview with Sir Wombat really early on in these proceedings and I'd still like to see one now

the doc

| 23,161 posts

29th Nov 2008 at 5:17 pm

the doc -

I've done most of this now, I'll try to email it to DJ over the weekend sometime

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 11:17 am

You! Me! Milkshakes!

*An Interview With WLW.*
Questions by Barry, David-James and Strawberry.

Do you like Mega-zine? Do you think it is silly?
I read Mega-zine every day for a good few years, although I lost touch with it a little bit when it went Digital.  I was sad to see it go, really, 'cos it was something I enjoyed while it was there.  I’ve got digital TV at home but I don’t watch the telly much these days so I can never be arsed getting it up on there. I think Andy did a really good job of getting it online and I thought it might kinda galvanise me into reading it again, although that doesn’t seem to have happened thus far. I do have a scan through it every now and again when I’m reading VR, but it doesn’t quite have the same charm that it used to.

Megazine or The Void?
Back in the days when I was a Teletext junkie I used to read them in the same sitting, although I always read the music pages first. I like the Void because generally speaking (although there are exceptions) the people who write in seem to be pretty well-informed about what’s going on. I get p*ssed off with the perennial Beatles/Morrissey arguments though, and the stupid people who equate record sales with talent are sadly deluded. I liked them both for different reasons though, the Void cos I take my music quite seriously, and 'Zine cos it’s fun to read the random contents of people’s heads.

Who are your favourite Ziners?
I was always a big fan of Elden Ray, it was only recently that I found out that she’s actually Alice. I remember one of her letters saying something about becoming a hermit, living in a cave and feasting on mushrooms. I can dig that. It was weird when I stumbled across VR and got into using MSN to be talking to Lilac Leopard, Farmer Jack and Topper, I was kinda star-struck in a silly kinda way. I’m not the only one though, I remember Claire telling me once that she was the same when she first started with VR.  For me other favourites I don’t think you can beat the classics - all three I’ve already mentioned, plus Straws and Vigilante Maelstrom. One Winged Angel made me laugh when she first appeared as well, and Paddy Irishman still makes my sides ache.

What types of letters do you think are really neat and cool?
I like the letters that don’t try to hard. Some people, like Paddy, Topper and Elden Ray (even more so in person in her case, even though she‘s from Bradford and not Wigan as I was led to believe )) are just naturally funny and I think that comes across really well. I don’t like letters that are just like ‘look at me, I’m so random and kooky’.  No you’re not, you’re a turd on stilts.

Creative and ignored or boring and famous?
I’m creative and ignored already, so I’ll go for that.

Who are your favourite Voiders?
That’s a tough one cos a lot of the regulars seem to have disappeared. Baby Grumpling always seemed kinda cool, also Alison Editor (simply because anyone who loves the Manics and Mark Lanegan whilst simultaneously hating the Chilis is fine with me). DJ Gordy is a total star, vastly knowledgeable, serious when he wants to be but with a great sense of humour. I think Katie Coathanger/Jade Webster is great too. I don’t always agree with her but she’s 100% passionate about everything she has to say and I have tremendous respect for that.

Do you think it is silly lots of Voiders are really spiteful and mean and complainy?
Given that I recently wrote a letter wishing death by suicide on Glasvegas’ singer I dunno if I’m really in a position to comment. But I will do anyway. I like it, really, I’m passionate about music and I like it when other people feel the same way. I get really bored with all these platitudes about ‘that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it’ and people quoting that old line from Voltaire. I much prefer it if someone comes straight out with it and says, ‘This band is f*cking sh*t and if you disagree you’re clearly a moron who was dropped at birth.’ Me and the Reverend have some right barneys about bands and it’s great cos we can have really heated discussions about stuff and hurl loads of abuse but do it all in a friendly way, it’s all part of the game. When I was a kid there was a guy called Steven Wells who wrote for NME.  HE WAS A BIG F*CKING SWEARY OPINIONATED GOBSH*TE B*ST*RD WHO WAS ALWAYS TYPING IN BIG F*CKING CAPITAL LETTERS TO EMPHASISE WHAT HE WAS SAYING ANE EVERY BAND HE TALKED ABOUT WAS EITHER THE BEST F*CKING BAND IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY OR THE BIGGEST PILE OF SH*T OUTSIDE OF A SUMO CRAPHOUSE and I always loved him. I think some of his attitude must have rubbed off on me.

Jelly Tots or Minstrels?
Jelly Tots every single time, please, and then some Tutti-Fruittis for pudding.

What's your favourite cake?
Space cake.

Which is your bestest Simpsons character?
I think that Chief Wiggum is an absolute genius. He’s one of those characters that people often forget about, but everything he says and does is hilarious.

What's your favourite Simpsons episode?
Tough question, that. I absolutely love the one with Hank Scorpio in it, where Homer goes to work for that guy who turns out to be a Super-villain, that one’s awesome. I think me absolute favourite is the one where Homer eats the Guatamalan Insanity Peppers and ends up tripping and going on a quest to find his soul-mate. “In your face, space coyote!’ is one of the best Simpsons lines ever, although “This is how Faceless Joe lost his legs” is probably the top of that particular tree. On a totally different tack, I like the one with Frank ‘Grimey’ Grimes in it as well. Dark as you like, that one, especially when Homer falls asleep at his funeral.

What are your bestest books and movies and bands?
Jaysus, I could talk about this one for ages. Apocalypse Now is my favourite film, I’ve seen it a frightening amount of times. There was a period in my life when I used to watch it two or three times a week, when I was tripping and all sorts. Some people reckon it’s weird, but I think it’s as universal as Shakespeare. “Fair is foul and foul is fair,” “The false face hide what the false heart doth know,” “We train our young men to drop fire on people - but their commanders will not allow them to write ‘f*ck’ on their aeroplanes, because it is obscene,”. See? I love Betty Blue and Taxi Driver as well. Both are extremely depressing but I empathise strongly with both the lead characters in one way or another.  It’s almost a cliché to love Withnail and I these days, but I still do, and I’ll never tire of watching Gone With the Wind either.

Books is a tough one cos I’ve read so much different stuff that it’s difficult to know where to start. Perfume is a work of absolute wonderment, as are Catch-22, Gravity’s Rainbow and Ulysses, although me absolute favourite is probably Wuthering Heights. I was born a couple of miles away from where the Brontes lived, so it’s easy for me to get inside that one. A lot of my favourites are American, actually, Norman Mailer, John Steinbeck, much of Jack Kerouac’s work and most of Hunter S Thompson’s are very close to my heart, and I don’t think I’ve ever connected with any book more than I did with Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller. I read that from cover to cover one lazy, stoned summer afternoon a few years ago and I’ve loved it ever since. I think everyone should read Is This A Man?/The Truce by Primo Levi as well. Very, very sad but staggering powerful. He was a truly remarkable man.  

I think my favourite bands are glaring obvious now, but in case anyone’s not noticed, they’re Teenage Fanclub, the Lemonheads, Elliott Smith, Nirvana, Biffy, Sparklehorse, Mark Lanegan, Pavement, Pixies, the Replacements, the Wildhearts and a whole host of other stuff like that.

What's the last book you didn't bother finishing?
Generally speaking I always finish books, even if I hate them, although recently I’ve been getting a little slack on that score. I started reading a book called Terror and Liberalism by Paul Berman the other day and I don’t think I’ll bother finishing that one.  It’s a very interesting read as it happens, but contemporary political theory isn’t really where my head’s at right now when it comes to reading, I’d rather be tackling something else. I’m got a hankering to re-read House of the Dead by Dostoyevsky, although my copy vanished and I don’t wanna shell out for a new one cos as soon as I do you can bet your a*se it’ll turn up at Oxfam for cheap. That’s one of the perils of working in a second hand book shop, I’m afraid, the law of sod’s always biting you on the a*se.

Who is your favourite character in The Mighty Boosh?
I don’t really like that show. I remember when Davus discovered it I spent a few days getting p*ssed out of my f*cking head and watching it with him and I thought it was hilarious, but I got really bored of it really quickly and gave up on it soon afterwards.

What is your favourite Mighty Boosh episode?
When I watched it I really enjoyed the one where they go looking for The New Sound.

Noel Fielding or Julian Barrett?
Julian Barrett. He was brilliant in Nathan Barley.

Who are your favourite TV personalities?
Dougal from The Magic Roundabout, and also Simon Schama, although I dunno if you can call him a ‘personality’ as such. He has a great intellect though and all his programs are excellent. 'Spose I should mention Stephen Fry as well. How I would like some tea and crumpets with him. Be a very interesting conversation, I think.

Which dead TV show would you like to revive?
Dunno really, stuff usually dies for a reason. Fawlty Towers was an amazing show but I think they did the right thing in ending it when they did. Years and years ago, maybe about 1988, there was a natural history show called Flight of the Condor on the BBC, I wouldn’t mind seeing that again.

What song gets you dancing?
Er...I’m not much into dancing as a rule, although Gogol Bordello gets me going, and there’s nothing quite like putting some Madness on and having a f*cking good skank.

What song makes you cry?
Lots and lots and lots. Small Black Flowers That Grow in the Sky by the Manics used to, all the more so cos I actually saw the show that that song was written about and it absolutely destroyed me at the time. I find All the Way Down by Biffy incredibly hard to listen to at the minute cos it reminds me of my dear departed buddy King Davus the Mighty, and Morning Hollow by Sparklehorse usually gets me going as well. Certain Suede songs are also capable of it, on occasion.

Who was the first who completely changed all your ideas and thoughts?
Nice question, and one that I’ve got no idea how to answer, really. The obvious one is Kurt Cobain, I suppose, but it wasn’t in a really direct way. I was never one of those kids who worshipped him like a god, but hearing Nirvana for the first time (when I was twelve, all the way back in 1992) was an incredibly powerful experience for me. They were the band that got me into underground music, really, which I know is perverse given that they were huge at the time... George Orwell had a tremendous impact on me as a teenager as well, although my grandad was an old Union man so I guess I was always heading in that direction anyway. I like to think I’ve always been quite independent in the way I think about things, but those two had a big part to play when I was younger.

Biffy Clyro are playing near where you live. You only have enough time to either have a poo (because you really need one), put on good gig-going clothes (because you're currently dressed like a tramp's dog) or gather together your 'sneak backside and get closer to Biffy' gear. What one would you do and why?
Well, I normally look like a tramp’s dog anyway (I got mistaken for being homeless once - I was sat outside Macdonalds in Leeds drinking vodka before an Ash gig and this girl went inside and bought me a cup of tea!) and I’m not much into sneaking backstage and meeting bands, so I reckon I’d have a sh*t.

Howcome you like Biffy Clyro so much? I do not get it.
They’re just a wonderful band, probably the best three-piece on the planet. A lot of their stuff (especially circa Infinity Land) is incredibly complex, but they’re so tight that it’s unbelievable. They’re probably the best live band I’ve ever seen as well, and that’s saying something cos I’ve been to hundreds of gigs over the years. It was nice to see them get some recognition with the last album, I’ll be really interested to see where they go next.  They could go for the kinda commercial rock thing they seem to be drifting towards, which would be okay, but I’d like to see a move back to total batsh*t weirdness. A few years ago the singer did an album with the guy from Soucioperro.  They called it The Magnificent Duke by Marmaduke Duke and it was absolutely f*cking mental. I’d be having some of that, although I don’t think it’d be making the playlists.

Manics or Nirvana?
I’ve often argued this one through with myself, I had a feeling someone might ask me it for this. The Manics were an incredibly important band to me for a very long time and they’re still one of my first refuges in times of need (it’s no coincidence that I was so heavily into them when I was ill a couple of years ago), but I’ve kinda moved on from them now. I still love the first four albums and much of the other stuff as well, but it’s rare that I listen to them these days. Nirvana I still play all the time, they were just such a f*cking great band. I’m not much into this cult of Kurt and all the bullsh*t that comes along with it, but I adore their music and I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of listening to them. It’s an interesting comparison in a sense, because I love them in completely different ways and for completely different reasons. The Manics helped me shape and indulge my intellectual side and their lyrics completely summed up my life at a certain point in time, but Nirvana are responsible for helping me tap into the primal punk thing that was always so important to me. A lot of people talk about Cobain’s lyrics but I’ve never paid much attention to them, personally, not in any kind of analytical way anyway. The music just makes me wanna mosh till my head falls off.

Edited by Megazine Letters. Dec 2008

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 11:17 am

You! Me! Milkshakes!

If a film was being made about your life, but you had no involvement whatsoever, would you bother going to see it or just wait until it came out on DVD?
If they put it on at the Hyde Park Picture House or the Cottage road near me I’d go to the cinema, but if not I’d wait for the DVD. I hate multiplexes.

What extras do you want on your DVD?
Deleted scenes showing all the crazy stuff I’ve done and forgotten about. That’d make for some interesting viewing!

Do you realy want to be in a famous band? Do you think it would be really scary and initmidating?
I used to, once upon a time. Guns n Roses were another one of my first loves, and even though they were complete w*nkers, I was totally sucked in by the rock n roll myth and I wanted a piece of it. Doing loads of drugs, f*cking loads of women, being photographed falling out of limousines and headbutting journalists looked like fun. I was a lot younger then though and I’m not bothered these days. When I was in Susskind I had to deal with loads of ego-trip bullsh*t and rock-star posturing from the rest of the band, and because I wasn’t so serious about it, they sacked me. I want my next band to be fun, just me and a bunch of mates f*cking around just for the sheer joy of making music together. That is what it’s supposed to be about, after all.

Are you worried you would sell out?
Back in the days when I wanted to be a big, disgustingly rich rock star I wouldn’t have minded selling out if that facilitated living the lifestyle, but these days I’d pick artistic integrity over record sales every single time.

What are your novels about? How come they are not published, yet?
The first one is a twisted love story called Terminal Young Things. It’s a lot of teen angst b*ll*cks to be perfectly honest, and the lead character in it was basically me, or the way I saw myself at the time. Some of the writing’s very good though, to say I started writing it on my seventeenth birthday. The second one never got a proper title but I wrote it not long after the first. It was a creative blitz though, over a hundred thousand words in six weeks which is f*cking good going by anyone‘s reckoning. I was on such a high from writing the first and realising I could actually do it that I just wanted to do another one straight away. It’s another miserable one about a girl who gets raped by her stepdad. I’ve not looked at that one in years though, and it’ll hopefully never see the light of day.  

The most recent one is a realist monster called A Night in the Cells and it’s about a kid who gets shot on a council estate in a big city. The police think it’s gang-related but it’s not, it’s just a mugging gone wrong. All the action takes place over the space of thirty six hours, and each chapter is told from the point of view of a different character. As the stories overlap, you build up a picture of what actually happened. I sent that to a lot of agents but never really got much of a response, which is understandable cos even I can’t see what the audience would be for it, and if they don’t know who they’re going to sell it to, they don’t want to know. A lot of the references in it are outdated now as well, so I’ve given up on that one too. Incidentally, if anyone wants to read it, just give us a nod and I’ll email you a copy, some of the writing is very good indeed.  The next one will be better though, when I get round to writing the f*cking thing. Lots of famous writers, when interviewed, say that discipline is vital to their art, and that’s where I fall on my a*se because I don’t possess any self-discipline whatsoever. I could have should have written another three, four, maybe five books by now, but alas no. Maybe one day though, that’s what I keep telling myself.

Cultural alienation, boredom or despair?
I once wrote a song containing the line “I excel at doing nothing/and boredom is my art,” so I’ll go for that one.

Why should you use all your superpowers for evil?
'Cos it’s much more fun that way. Bet Doctor Octopus has a lot more fun than Batman.  And what about Jesus, he used his superpowers for good and look what happened to him. What a total waste of a God-given talent. Imagine how much fun you could have if you could raise the dead and turn water into wine...

What things do you really want for christmas?
I usually get a big pair of stupid novelty slippers, so them. I didn’t get any last year for the first time in ages and I was really disappointed. They’ll have to go a long way to beat the ones me sister bought me when I was at Uni though - they were in the shape of Fidel Castro’s head, complete with bandana, sunglasses, cigar and everything.  They were mint.

What is your most bestest christmas song and movie?
Aside from the obvious Fairytale of New York, my favourite Christmas song is Oi! to the World by a punk band called the Vandals - “If God came down on Christmas Day/I know exactly what he’d say/He’d say ‘Oi!’ to the punks/and ‘Oi!’ to the skins/’Oi!’ to the world and everybody wins.”  Brilliant.  Favourite Christmas films are pretty obvious. It’s A Wonderful Life is a magical film, and I really like to watch Gone With the Wind at Christmas as well. Also Harvey and Goodbye, Mister Chips! I remember watching Nil By Mouth on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago though, that was truly odd. I think the programs manager at ITV must have been smoking crack when they made that decision.

What is your earliest memory?
Playing with a shape-sorter on a big sheepskin rug in front of the fire at my auntie’s house.

Which historical figure do you most identify with?
Hehe, I like these philosophical questions, although I have absolutely no idea about this one.

Did you have an imaginary friend when you were little?
No, although I did used to talk to my dead grandfather in the corner of our kitchen was I was little. I also used to say I could see a man waving his hat at the bottom of our yard at a certain time of day as well, which is what he used to do on his way home from work. My mum told me about that a couple of years ago, and I thought it might have been my child’s way or dealing with him being dead, but then she told me I was only six months old when he died so I never knew the guy. It freaked me out a bit when she said that.

If you could perform one medical procedure on yourself, what would it be?
I’d like a tattoo of an Ankh on my left bicep.

Would you rather have no hair on your head or no eyebrows?
I look like a smackhead when I’m bald, so I’ll go for no eyebrows. Although there was a guy at school with no eyebrows and he looked like a tortoise so that option might not be too much better.

If you were a sandwich filling, what would you be?
Turkey, cheese and coleslaw, cos that’s the best sandwich filling ever.

Have you ever been attacked by an animal?
Yep, got my hand mangled by a Siamese Cat when I was about four. And then I had that run-in with Evil cat earlier this year, although victory was mine in the end. Got pecked by a swan once as well, and I had loads of run-ins with disgruntled geese and a vicious little goat on me aunty’s farm when I was younger.

If you were to appear on the Jerry Springer show, what would your episode be about?
You shot who in the what now?

If aliens asked you to live on their planet for five years, would you go?
Nah, I’d be scared of the flight.

Would you accept a million pounds to leave the country and never set foot in it again?
Gladly, as long as I could choose where to go.  Then I’d use the money to get me family and friends out as well.

If there was an execution on TV, would you watch it?
Absolutely not.

Do you eat apple pips, or are you scared a tree might grow inside you?
I eat them these days, but I have a really vivid memory of eating some when I was little and me mam told me I’d get an apple tree inside me. Proper upset, I was, 'cos I didn’t want an apple tree inside me, so I stopped eating them after that.

Which would you rather have, a horse the size of a rabbit or a rabbit-sized horse?
Rabbit-sized horse would be pretty sweet, good for scaring the cats.

Name something really popular that you hate.
Manga. That stuff’s insanely popular these days but I don’t get it at all.

Name something really hated that you like.
Cold, grey, wet afternoons.

Please can you tell everyone a secret secret about you?
I’m not a real Doctor.

Do you worry witches will curse your arms and legs, and make you do lots of bad things?
I used to know a witch when I was at Uni, she was from Greece. She never cursed me, as far as I know. I do think that covert witch-cursings are something that everyone needs to be concerned about though. We should get Junior Minister Paul to start a petition and give it to Gordon Brown next time he sees him, I think. Something must be done, dammit!

Which 'Ziners do you really want to meet...
i) to get drunk with?

Be nice to get lashed with Alan Cynic, I think, I reckon the pair of us could talk up a storm.
ii) to discuss the state of the enviroment?
See above.
iii) to eat cookies with?
Little Blue Fox, Vigilante Maelstrom and Smashed Strawberry.  We could have a tea party at Hector’s House

Complete the following sentence in no less than five words: Strawberry is a lovely wife and the best person on VR because...
She’s a superheroine when it comes to sending people stuff and making them smile, and she does it for no reason other than the fact that it‘s nice to do so.  I think that’s lovely.

Word Association (Please can you think of a word to describe everyone).
- Apologetic Breadstick...AAAAAARGH!
- DeLorean that got struck by lightning...Hyperactive.
- Dr Namgge...Ugh.
- Elden Ray...Pixie.
- Farmer Jack...Red.
- Freshly Squeezed Cynic...Red.
- Girlpants...Rockin’.
- Haryuu No Hanekata...Confusticating.
- Insane Jam Sow...Anagram.
- Jingle...Yummy.
- Junior Minister...Activist.
- Lilac Leopard...Yorkshire.
- Little Blue Fox...Forceofnature.
- Mancomb Seepgood...Thinker.
- One Winged Angel...Nuts.
- Pablo Marmite...Argumentative.
- Paddy Irishman...Hilarious.
- Satan's Little Helper...Ranter.
- Scott...Two-tone.
- Smashed Strawberry, Hector's House...Sweet.
- Squirrel of Doom...Smooth.
- TinyShine...Poet.
- TheUnitedTruth...Aimzzzzzzz.
- Topper...Orrite.
- Vigilante Maelstrom...punning.
- WLW...Random.

- DJ Dave...Deluded.
- DJ Gordy...Legend.
- Earls...Sound.
- Rebecca Nahid...Wasp.
- Rich A...Dunno.
- Steve Old Hippy...Example.
- Tyler Durden...Irritant.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 11:24 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

WIGAN?!!

/me vomits copiously and then proceeds to go into anaphylactic shock.

Apart from that, this must have been the longest interview ever to grace these pages!

(and also, thanks :-[)
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 11:28 am

River Phoenix

i hope you aren't dissing Wigan, Alice.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 11:35 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I know you're from there, but I sure as hell am not! I got Bradford. I am A Yorkshire Lassie* through and through, not bloody Lancs or Greater Manchester or whatever it's being these days.

*That doesn't mean I am a dog.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 11:54 am

River Phoenix

Technically, it's in Greater Manchester, although i think of it as being Lancashire.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 2:26 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote:
If a film was being made about your life, but you had no involvement whatsoever, would you bother going to see it or just wait til it came out on DVD?
If they put it on at th

Dammit, I need a full answer!
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 5:02 pm

learrggh -

Why am I 'AAAAAARGH!'?

Colin

| 10,038 posts

2nd Dec 2008 at 5:23 pm

Colin -

leAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Dec 2008 at 2:44 pm

the doc -

Quote: thelostdude

That

Also, Alice, I didnae think you were from Wigan, but wasn't that where Elden Ray was sposed to be from? Or have I got her mixed up with someone else?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd Dec 2008 at 2:48 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: the_doc
Also, Alice, I didnae think you were from Wigan, but wasn't that where Elden Ray was sposed to be from?  Or have I got her mixed up with someone else?

Maybe you mixed her up with Daddypoos, Wigan?

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Dec 2008 at 2:54 pm

the doc -

Nah, this was way before his time.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

3rd Dec 2008 at 5:59 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

That  

Also, Alice, I didnae think you were from Wigan, but wasn't that where Elden Ray was sposed to be from?  Or have I got her mixed up with someone else?

Nope, Elden Ray never went to Wigan. If, as Baz postulates, you got me mixed up with Daddypoos then I will cry.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Dec 2008 at 8:07 pm

the doc -

Nope. Hmmmm, wonder who it was..............? It's going back four or five years, I think. I'm baffled now :-?

Vel

| 23,203 posts

3rd Dec 2008 at 9:04 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I may have hypothetically taken a trip to Wigan, or said let's go to Wigan, in a 'Zine letter in late '05-'06, but I cannot be certain.

Apart from that, that's the only tenuous connection with Wigan Elden Ray had.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 10:43 am

You! Me! Milkshakes!

Quote: Paddy_Irishman
Quote:
If a film was being made about your life, but you had no involvement whatsoever, would you bother going to see it or just wait til it came out on DVD?
If they put it on at th

Dammit, I need a full answer!

I have edited it now. :-[

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:00 pm

the doc -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
I may have hypothetically taken a trip to Wigan, or said let's go to Wigan, in a 'Zine letter in late '05-'06, but I cannot be certain.

Apart from that, that's the only tenuous connection with Wigan Elden Ray had.

Is there a list of Ziners somewhere? Bet I could find whoever i was on there, I'd know the name if I saw it. Doing me head in now.........

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:07 pm

Colin -

Not quite up-to-date, but:
http://www.freewebz.com/megazine/zineam.htm

Maybe, in light of that, and the 'Zine Names thread, we should compile a list of modern 'uns. It'd make life easier for us cheap-shots who make pun lists, anyway.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:11 pm

I Cunt Spell -

You should try and encourage peopleto post in the zine names thread.
It still didn't really make any sense after people had explained.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:18 pm

the doc -

Maybe, in light of that, and the 'Zine Names thread, we should compile a list of modern 'uns. It'd make life easier for us cheap-shots who make pun lists, anyway.

Cheers for the link, dude.

I can't be arsed going through that lot right now though!

I'll do it on the weekend and see if I can spot the name.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:31 pm

Colin -

Quote: lmc
You should try and encourage peopleto post in the zine names thread.
It still didn't really make any sense after people had explained.

Us active in 2008:
David James is Little Blue Fox and The Soul Cake Duck
Barry is Paddy Irishman and The Shamrocking Bogman
Strawberry is everyone at Hector's House
I'm Vigilante Maelstrom and occasional one-offs (I called myself Reeling Twicewards Heysid a couple of weeks back to disguise the fact I'd practically repeated a punchline)
Alice is Elden Ray
Debs is One Winged Angel
Ian is Insane Jam Sow
Paul is Junior Minister
Louise is Princess Psycho
Alex is Topper
Claire is Lilac Leopard

Now, who's angry that I forgot them?

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:36 pm

the doc -

Me

Although technically I'm not really a Ziner

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:39 pm

I aim to misbehave

most of the time if you roll the cursor over someones name here there username will appear at the bottom. Since most people are here because of Zine most peoples usernames are there Zine names. Helps me a lot of the time to remember who people are

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:41 pm

Colin -

Me  

Haha, I was wondering if I should put The Doc, with display name the doc, username the_doc and posting in a thread about The Doc in or not.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 4:42 pm

I aim to misbehave

Me  

Haha, I was wondering if I should put The Doc, with display name the doc, username the_doc and posting in a thread about The Doc in or not.

Who are you talking about? Dr. Namgee?

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Dec 2008 at 5:36 pm

the doc -

Guh, he was a twunt.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

5th Dec 2008 at 10:08 am

River Phoenix

i just suddenly remembered something. i think Alice had a letter on Zine a couple of years ago, where she mentioned wearing a bikini in Wigan.

Insane Jam Sow

| 443 posts

5th Dec 2008 at 1:28 pm

Insane Jam Sow - Bill Bryson is my God

Bill Bryson is my God

Cheers for the link, dude.

I can't be arsed going through that lot right now though!

I'll do it on the weekend and see if I can spot the name.

Bloody hell, my list is still useful to someone? Fantastic!
http://www.freewebs.com/megazine

Yes, my website still exists. Just about.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

5th Dec 2008 at 6:44 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I never wear bikinis, Strawberry. Ever. So unless it was a list of the worst things possible, it wouldn't happen.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

6th Dec 2008 at 9:32 am

River Phoenix

i'm pretty sure it was something like that, although i think it was a joking/ sarcastic letter.

Edit: i found Alice's letter, and posted it in my RNL2 thread.

Edited by Rayanne Graff Dec 2008

Vel

| 23,203 posts

6th Dec 2008 at 6:56 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry
i'm pretty sure it was something like that, although i think it was a joking/ sarcastic letter.

Still, I wasn't wearing the bikini, and Wigan was a generic holiday destination, so your memories failed Strawberry and Stu
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Colin

| 10,038 posts

6th Dec 2008 at 8:49 pm

Colin -

Be careful, you wouldn't wan to be branded a gobbin.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

6th Dec 2008 at 9:11 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

As a member of the SBMAGC (or Strawberry Branded Me a Gobbin Club), I entice you to join me.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

6th Dec 2008 at 11:01 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Nuh uh. Strawberry wouldn't dare. I know where she lives. I can be an even worse influence on her than her fiancé thinks I already am

COLIN TYPO!! Quoted for posterity
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Colin

| 10,038 posts

6th Dec 2008 at 11:26 pm

Colin -

Oh no! And to think I almost hit 'Edit' to replace the comma with a semi-colon! :-[

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

8th Dec 2008 at 2:08 pm

River Phoenix

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry

Still, I wasn't wearing the bikini, and Wigan was a generic holiday destination, so your memories failed Strawberry and Stu

Well, it was sort of right, so i don't think i failed completely.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

8th Dec 2008 at 3:35 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

"Sort of" won't get you any points in an exam
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

8th Dec 2008 at 3:41 pm

River Phoenix

True, but VR isn't an exam, so ner.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

8th Dec 2008 at 3:53 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

What?! Oh my goodness! I have been studying for ages - it is lots of time wasted!
Oh no.

:-[

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2009 at 11:19 pm

River Phoenix

Nuh uh. Strawberry wouldn't dare. I know where she lives. I can be an even worse influence on her than her fiancé thinks I already am

COLIN TYPO!! Quoted for posterity

He seems to have forgotten that you are a bad influence. He also said in 2006 that you are in my clique, but he's probably also forgotten about that also. However, he did seem disappointed in 2008 when i told him that you weren't doing the Zine Takeover.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page