URGENT: You can save 'Zine

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:22 pm

VR kicks ass!

Hello 'Ziners. Giraffelettes, one and all,
Yes, it is I - the one and only WLW. Here's the thing my little Jaffamites I've been thinking about the death of 'Zine, aka my retirement to the sunny climes of Gran Canaria and it's crossed my mind, that, actually, do you know what, I'm not ready to go. No, I'm not.

What will become of me I wondered... Will I live out the rest of my spotty life in a too-tight pair of spangly swin trunks, yearning for Medulla's miaows and the loony ramblings of my favourite pen friends (even those who tell me I'm not the same WLW I was 5 years ago - honestly, do not fear change my darlings!)?

So I decided to get off my skinny rump and email you lot - for the first time! Tell me 'Ziners would you like WLW and 'Zine Towers to survive? And if so, do you want to see change? Or should it stay the same? The petition starts here... If I get enough messages of love and support we can perhaps convince the powers-that-be not to send me to the great giraffe-y heaven in the sky, um, I mean my pied-a-terre in Gran Canaria.

Only you can save me, 'Ziners. I await with a certain amount of excited dribble for your response... xx Mwah Mwah

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:24 pm

one change I think everyone has wanted for an age...

NO MORE JAFFA CAKES
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:28 pm

VR kicks ass!

You'd deny me? Fair enough. No more Jaffa Cakes in return for my prolonged stay at 'Zine Towers. Tell me WHY you want me to stay 'Ziners and (what changes you'd like to see, er, afterwards...) and I, Mavis, Medulla, and The Brigadier will see what we can do. Yes, I'm bringing in the troops. I mean business.

Jimmy

| 4,271 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:33 pm

Jimmy -

I'd love to believe it, buuuut, any proof you're the real thing?

If you are...there's not much you can do to change 'Zine, it's always been the same. It's just that the contributors changed over time. If you can get the oldies back on it'll be good again methinks.

(This is Interesting Chair btw. YOU never replied to that e-mail i sent you a year ago! )
I like Jesus but he loves me so it's awkward.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:35 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Quote: WLW
Tell me WHY you want me to stay 'Ziners and (what changes you'd like to see, er, afterwards...) and I, Mavis, Medulla, and The Brigadier will see what we can do. Yes, I'm bringing in the troops. I mean business.

Hi.

I would like Mega-zine to stay because it is fun and funny and different.

Also, it is sort of *ours* because we read books and movies and TV, but we do not write them (yet!) but we write and make Mega-zine.
Also, I have made lots of neat friends and thought of lots of new ideas.

Changes - Please can we have new colours, and also please can WLW be below the white line again? Please can you stop texts? - They are too easy - people do not have to think so much. It is silly some people just write about WLW and Jaffa Cakes.

Please can you keep all the mythology about Davord and Mavis and Medulla too?

:-[

Edited by Little Blue Fox. Jul 2006
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:46 pm

Yes...nobody wants to be reminded of backchat.

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:47 pm

VR kicks ass!

Hello Interesting Chair,
I'm sorry for not replying to you last year, but I am now, and here is the proof that I am the REAL WLW. I am going to get all technical and corporate on you (I'm sweating mildly at the thought)... If 'Zine is to survive it will live on as a digital service only (oh, how I'll miss my friends the blocky graphics) and it will probably only live on as part ITV (oh, how I'll miss Channel 4). A fake WLW couldn't know that. Sometimes I wish I was a fake, this is all too much...

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:49 pm

if your going digital, then you have more room (I have digital teletext, i've read it). on digital, your "full page letters" often barely take up a third of the page. let this be the end of the former page one letters as full page stuff
A Random Link

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:52 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

But would you get enough contributors now? People got put off by lots of newbies, who weren't particularly funny, writing in and getting printed in favour of the more entertaining oldies.

I dunno, for me Zine will never be the same and I never read it any more, so wouldn't be too fussed about it dying. But I'm not everyone... *shrugs*
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:55 pm

Quote: Elusive_Moose
But would you get enough contributors now? People got put off by lots of newbies, who weren't particularly funny, writing in and getting printed in favour of the more entertaining oldies.

most people found 'zine by chance. I can't think of anyone who was told of it's existance (I know I wasn't). you'll still get new contributors, and if the quality is still constant, then there wouldn't be a problem
A Random Link

Quote:

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:56 pm

VR kicks ass!

Elusive Moose, I will hold a huge Welcome Home party for all my favourite old 'Ziners. Loyalty will be repaid and any rubbish letters from unpractised newbies will be sent back with a polite-yet-firm 'be funnier next time'. It's in your hands, folks...

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:58 pm

Elusive Moose, I will hold a huge Welcome Home party for all my favourite old 'Ziners. Loyalty will be repaid and any rubbish letters from unpractised newbies will be sent back with a polite-yet-firm 'be funnier next time'. It's in your hands, folks...

so I'll get several dozen of those in my inbox then
A Random Link

Quote:

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 3:58 pm

You seem to be giving us less room to write in these days, which is a shame. Often letters are edited too much, which makes most of us mad since they lose their meaning. Risky letters used to get printed, but they don't seem to now.

Jaffa Cakes must be stopped. All the real folk on here hate the talk of them.

The text messages have become slightly annoying, but have obviously helped keep 'zine going. There seems to have been less of them printed in the last few weeks, and more full page letters. That should always be the case.

I'm sure more people would write in with a few simple changes. It used to take around 13 days to get printed at one point. Now it's about two!

Let us come and visit for an hour perhaps That would be nice.

Junior Minister

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:00 pm

VR kicks ass!

Suggestion noted, JM, and passed on to the big bosses.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:03 pm

oh and give us back page 142

Jimmy

| 4,271 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:07 pm

Jimmy -

While we're here WLW, I'm sure everyone here would love to know more about you after 5+ years of not saying a word about yourself. So answer me this...you don't really like Jaffa Cakes do you?

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:09 pm

Maybe, you could let us go onto two pages if it's a really good letter too You've done that once i think.

Earth

| 7 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:09 pm

I Love The Vegetable Revolution!

Oh heck, I best be stopping the Name changing when I post to you then

Indeed no to the Jaffa Cakes but other Jaffa and Goa'uld jokes references should still be allowed no?

On that note if Zine is to continue I shall try and write in funny letters as and when they appear in my mind

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:10 pm

VR kicks ass!

I just guzzled a tube of them now - with a cuppa (in a china cup and saucer of course). keep plying me with petition email 'Ziners - I need to show this to the organ grinders in the moring, else face a life time of sandy hooves...

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:11 pm

VR kicks ass!

pardon the dubious spelling - email is not my usual medium

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:11 pm

Why don't you just show them VR exists? I think 1000+ members through 'zine shows it's own story

Earth

| 7 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:14 pm

Quote: JM
Why don't you just show them VR exists? I think 1000+ members through 'zine shows it's own story

Give or take one or two as some members have more than one account

And I await the day WLW replies with an email to my letters

Jimmy

| 4,271 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:15 pm

Jimmy -

Well...I think all the members might be something to do with VR being linked on Wikipedia. Remember there's a lot of VRers who'd never heard of 'Zine before joining.

Earth

| 7 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:17 pm

Quote: Tabitha
Let us come and visit for an hour perhaps   That would be nice.

VR meet, methinks?

At the "Teletext Tower"? Now that would be great...

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:17 pm

if you look at the threads about how people joined though, most have found us through 'Zine.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:18 pm

Quote: Earth

Give or take one or two as some members have more than one account

And I await the day WLW replies with an email to my letters

I've had a reply from a Julia someone at teletext before telling me the emails couldn't be printed. Are you Julia, eh WLW?

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:19 pm

VR kicks ass!

oui, exactamundo dear tabitha

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:22 pm

VR kicks ass!

Julia? Ha? Julia worked here once. Perhaps she once hacked into my one-time redundant email account...? The cheeky madam

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:23 pm

teletext gets ratings (I remember them saying it on Gamecentral one time when someone asked)

thing is though the people that read it via VR, don't turn on there TV's to see it, and as such cost Mega-Zine ratings
A Random Link

Quote:

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:30 pm

if it's a loss of ratings, then the copying done by the team of monkeys is what's ended it

in which case, then someone should realise that it's still being read, albeit from another source

of course, reading it here, means that the adverts they put on the page, don't get seen as often, so they can't charge as much for them, and lose revenue
A Random Link

Quote:

Earth

| 7 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:31 pm

Perhaps the people who "control" what goes into the teletex version of mega-zine should start a web version so that they'll know the numbers of viewers

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 4:45 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

*remembers the Alternative MegaZine Fi started and lols reminiscently*
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:04 pm

[quote=That Thing link=1152112954/30#33 date=1152117046]if it's a loss of ratings, then the copying done by the team of monkeys is what's ended it
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA. My legacy of ruining everything 'Zine-related continues! (First there was spam, then there were the Teams...)

WLW

| 98 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:04 pm

VR kicks ass!

'Ziners, I'm off for my tea at Mabel Mop's house - yes, I've finally succumbed and now I'm a sucker for her parsnip pie. I will see you all in the morning, probably with a woozy head after one too many babychams. You can't keep that woman down...

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:18 pm

I find she can stay down all night long.

Phil

| 7,619 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:37 pm

Phil - Hippo Moderator of Heck!

Hippo Moderator of Heck!

Hello Interesting Chair,
I'm sorry for not replying to you last year, but I am now, and here is the proof that I am the REAL WLW. I am going to get all technical and corporate on you (I'm sweating mildly at the thought)... If 'Zine is to survive it will live on as a digital service only (oh, how I'll miss my friends the blocky graphics) and it will probably only live on as part ITV (oh, how I'll miss Channel 4). A fake WLW couldn't know that. Sometimes I wish I was a fake, this is all too much...

I can do better than that for you.

The IP address is registered to the Teletext Network, which proves fairly conclusively that unless some sort of prankster being incredibly thorough, he is WLW (or at least a real live teletext employee).

I don't read it anymore, I think I've just grown out of it. There's still a bit of me that doesn't want to think it's the end though.

Edited by Phil Jul 2006
She's the kind of girl that leaves out condoms on the bedroom dresser
Just to make you jealous of the men she f*cked before you met her.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:44 pm

Colin -

*wakes*
Why did I sleep through this?
Yeah, hello. *shakes hand/hoof/whatever*
Colin. Vigilante Maelstrom, if you like. Yeah. I want 'Zine to stay, and I'm organising an online petition for it (but this method seems speedier).

Edited by Colin Jul 2006
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Claire

| 15,814 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:53 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Blimey.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:53 pm

Quote: sexyPhil

The IP address is registered to the Teletext Network, which proves fairly conclusively that sort of some prankster being incredibly thorough, he is WLW (or at least a real live teletext employee).

Dammit, I was so hoping for it to be another fake so I could come back the next time I was bored and laugh heartily at all the suckers.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:55 pm

Would you go:

SUUUCKKKKKKERZZZ!!!1!! LOL!

Also Phil is ace. He is the knower of all things.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Bellatrixa

| 6,342 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 5:59 pm

Bellatrixa - Bitches Love Cannons

Bitches Love Cannons

Man, I always miss stuff when I'm having dinner.

I'M NEVER GOING TO EAT AGAIN!

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:05 pm

Not eating is a bad idea. After about a week you end up very weak and have headaches all day long. *experience*

Colin

| 10,038 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:09 pm

Colin -

Why does WLW's username appear as "WLW - Ex Member" in some places?

Bellatrixa

| 6,342 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:14 pm

Bitches Love Cannons

I have no idea as it's not doing it on my PC and I didn't think you can delete accounts.

So this thread's the petition then?

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:14 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Colin

Like where?

On a side note, going off the email address it may not be the main dude/dudette there, but as Phil mentioned though the IP address is in teletext's range

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:15 pm

Now it's been confirmed as legit, hey there WLW person. We're sending in a communal VR letter in the next few days so if you could ensure that gets a screening it would be appreciated.

As for the Zine giong digital... it would be nice to see it endure. As people have said elsewhere it's the last part of a bygone era clinging on to existence. Of course it would depend on fresh blood and quality material, the former of which we can't control per se, and the latter is also a bit unpredictable.

But by all means go for it. Colin, same applies for the petition...

Good luck!

Bellatrixa

| 6,342 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:17 pm

Bitches Love Cannons

If someone knows how to get digital teletext to work with a Telewest box, can you shoot me a PM or summat because it just comes up as "Text service unavaliable" when I try the button on the cable remote. Normal teletext works fine though.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:17 pm

Colin -

Quote: LoonyPandora
Quote: Colin

Like where?

Ooh, it's stopped. It was on the 10 Most Recent Topics bit, as the person who started the thread. It wasn't clickable. But now it's back to normal.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:28 pm

Quote: Opium
If someone knows how to get digital teletext to work with a Telewest box, can you shoot me a PM or summat because it just comes up as "Text service unavaliable" when I try the button on the cable remote. Normal teletext works fine though.

Ditto.

Bellatrixa

| 6,342 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 6:37 pm

Bitches Love Cannons

Thank god it's not just me being retarded.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: