Life is a funny old business

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

20th Mar 2020 at 10:09 pm

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

So a good friend of mine owned a restaurant until just before Christmas, at which point it was destroyed in a massive fire. At the time she was pretty devastated at seeing her life's work go up in smoke, but a few months later (what with the insurance pay-out, and the general closing of everything by that there virus thing) she's thinking it could well be the best thing that could have happened to her. And I think it's important to remember at moments of utter lowness, sometimes that can be the start of a super-successful story.

At the risk of sounding like a cheesy radio DJ, I was wondering whether anyone else has any stories of a seemingly terrible thing turning out to be really good?
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

24th Mar 2020 at 4:42 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I didn't get the points for the college course I wanted to do (construction studies teacher), so ended up doing a course kind of along the same lines where I could eventually segue into what I wanted.

About a month into college, I realised I didn't really want to be a teacher at all. But I also didn't want to drop out of college, so I just stuck with it. 5 years of college and almost 12 years working later, I'm now a Chartered Building Surveyor. Also doing a level 9 course at the minute which could lead to a masters.

Still not entirely sure this is some kind of dream job or anything, but despite my own imposter syndrome, I guess I'm doing pretty decent at it, so I'll keep going with it and just keep failing upwards.

Edited by Dinglebutt Mar 2020
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

24th Mar 2020 at 10:18 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

My life story:

Wo-oh-oh-oh-oh it's a girl thing...

Ahem.

I'm a qualified librarian. Live in London (though evacuated to my parents' house right now). Have one flatmate who dislikes me

I am recovering from a bad double leg injury caused by a former workplace.
There's literally nothing interesting that has gone on in my life in the past few years that people on here don't know, so yeah.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page