The future of VR.

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

23rd Feb 2015 at 9:21 pm

I Cunt Spell -

I'm still in the process of sorting out some bits and pieces of James' stuff and I was wondering if any discussions had been had about VR? If anyone spoke to me about it I apologise but I've forgotten.

The domain hasn't expired and I can probably get the hosting transferred over to me so it will plod along easily enough for the time being. The planet-sound domain is renewable and as we had planned to do some work together on that I am going to hold on to it for a while as long as there are no objections. The mega-zine domain lapsed so long ago that it now doesn't exist anymore but I don't think anyone realised so it can't be missed too much.

I don't know how many of you do programming, but the code is open source if that is of interest. Of course James is no longer able to merge pull requests and his github account has a contribution log on the main page that is a bit of a gut puncher, so my personal preference would be to leave things as they are for a while.

It seems he put a fair bit of work into making VR watertight in the eventuality, so there shouldn't be any problems I just wanted to check people aren't waiting for me to pull my head out of the sand and sort it out.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

23rd Feb 2015 at 11:15 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Have let Emma know this post is here, she had mentioned taking over the financial side of VR I think Hope you're doing OK, Laura x

Edited by Claire Feb 2015
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

24th Feb 2015 at 12:20 am

I Cunt Spell -

Ok, well as far as I know there isn't a financial side. He was paying for hosting but I already have a hosting package for clients that I can put it on without it costing me anything and James' colleagues are transferring all of our domains to that account as a favour.

If I need to move the site over to a different server I will post here first as the site will potentially go down temporarily, but hopefully I can just move the domains to a different account with the same company.

edit: Also, thanks.

Emma

| 9,777 posts

27th Feb 2015 at 3:15 pm

Emma - EXTREME!

EXTREME!

I've sent you an email Laura, hope that's alright
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page