LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Jun 2014 at 11:57 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Been a while since I've been on here...

Anyway, just some updates for y'all:

• Moved VR to a new, faster server
• Now using MariaDB instead of SQLite for the backend, so it will be much much faster, especially for searching and things like. Also way more reliable and easy to backup
• Stopped the silly error where new threads couldn't be started because a folder got full up. Now it's in a proper database, that will never happen again.
• Fixed the forgot password function - it will actually send you a new password now. I didn't however make it a sensible feature... it just resets and emails you the new one.
• Fixed the complete inability to remove your msn name from your profile. It was a stupid typo that was stopping it being deleted.
• Disabled new registrations. It's only spambots these days, and I think the community isn't going to grow anymore
• Made passwords more secure - I wrote the code for this over 5 years ago, and though the passwords were always hashed, it was done using salted MD5 - which has been broken for a long long time. Now when you login it will delete that insecure password and give you a shiny new bcrypt password - which will be secure forever.
• Fixed a whole bunch of security holes. Man I was a sh*t coder way back then...
• Added a privacy checkbox in your profile settings. A lot of people don't want their old stuff to come back to haunt them - so just check the box, and all your posts become invisible to google and anyone who isn't a member. And since new users are disabled, no-one can sign up to see your old stuff.
• Removed some stupid dependencies on Apache & PHP. It's all nginx all the way, with perl behind the scenes.

If anyone notices any problems, just post in here to let me know.

If anyone cares, the code is here https://github.com/LoonyPandora/VegRev - And I actually commit the code there and deploy it to the server. So have at you.

Edited by LoonyPandora Jun 2014

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

30th Jun 2014 at 7:35 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Thanks, Loony.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

4th Jul 2014 at 11:29 pm

Πανδώρα -

Awesome work

Only thing I've noticed is that links in recent posts don't take you to the most recent page like it used to, it goes to th thread but doesn't display any posts, you need to click on a page number manually to see posts . Nothing major, just a mild inconvenience.

(Is clicking still a thing? Do people click in this day and age, or is everything done by tapping now?)
*burp*

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

6th Jul 2014 at 1:54 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Πανδώρα, Jul 2014
Awesome work

Only thing I've noticed is that links in recent posts don't take you to the most recent page like it used to, it goes to th thread but doesn't display any posts, you need to click on a page number manually to see posts . Nothing major, just a mild inconvenience.

(Is clicking still a thing? Do people click in this day and age, or is everything done by tapping now?)

Fixed, was a silly mistake

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Jul 2014 at 10:23 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

The Doc just emailed me. He's locked out of his account cos he no longer uses the email address he signed up with and stuff. I have his current email address if you need to get in contact with him to confirm or give him a new password or anything
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

18th Jul 2014 at 9:11 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I changed his email and sent him a new password - so it should all work.

And I fixed that attachment problem, was just a debugging thing I accidentally left in.

Will look into the editing other people's profile thing, dunno what's gone on there.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

22nd Jul 2014 at 4:42 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

So now I've moved it again, this time to a server in London. So it should be even quicker.

First server was in Romania, then at the beginning of this thread it was in Amsterdam, now London. For the technical, that gives me an average ping time of 8ms, down from 15 in Amsterdam.

tl;dr - it's a tiny bit quicker again.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

25th Jul 2014 at 4:53 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

And now editing profiles should work too

Also, I fixed the currently online bit. Previously it would only ever show one person online - you. Which gave the appearance of a bit of a ghost town. Now everyone who has been online in the past 15 minutes will show up there

Edited by LoonyPandora Jul 2014

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page