rooney

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

| 3,645 posts

28th Sept 2004 at 7:58 pm

legend?

he's playing fantastic right now... shame its for man utd. but still, he's english! WOOO!!!

..putting the sex back in dyslexia..
[/center]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Sept 2004 at 8:01 pm

Chris Kamara -

2 years - best player in the world.

| 3,645 posts

28th Sept 2004 at 8:03 pm

he's pushing for it now...

[/center]

Topper

| 6,773 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 8:31 am

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I was surprised he was as good as he was last night. I mean I know he's fantastic, but to play that well in your first match for United after a long period out injured is just amazing.
His goals last night were wonderful and he could be just the tonic we need. I'm also glad Ruud scored in what wasn't his best performance. Defence looked dodgy on crosses though...

Anyway, Rooney! Class, I feel guilty now for saying I'd have preferred we spent the money on a world class midfielder or 2. When Rooney became available, Fergie had to get him now, not wait. I eat humble pie.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:11 am

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Man utds signed rooneys 13 year old brother whose looking to be even better than wayne.... god i hate man u
Never take life seriously.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 12:50 pm

Fat pikey b*st*rd, he's just a fat pikey b*st*rd, fat pikey baaaaaaaaaaastard, he's just a fat pikey b*st*rd...
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 12:58 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

over-rated - he's good, but I would have rather had 2x world class midfielders...

You can't say he's a legend after one good performance... I know he will do well, with a good team around him, he will perform better than he ever could do at everton, but we are blessed with plenty of great strikers.

Rooney could have waited - do you really think Newcastle could have afforded him? Not much of a step up for him either, and if he spent another season at Everton, he would have been cheaper (price was artificially inflated after Euro 2004)

Oh, and why do you hate Man U for signing players? - prejudiced git... I've had enough of people who hate Man U whenever they do anything, for no good reason. And where is your source that they have signed him, or did you just make it up

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 1:18 pm

Chris Kamara -

he's hardly over-rated. he's the best young talent in the premiership since giggs came onto the scene. he's performed at international level, and top club level.

27 million is a lot, but it's not my money, so i don't care.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 1:56 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

of course he's over-rated!! - every young english kid who can kick a ball is heralded as the best thing ever... it's the way we work.

One good international tournament (against european opposition, no south americans remember), and a hat-trick against a low-level european side does NOT make him the "best young talent the premiership has seen"... he's only played 1 game at 'top club level' - and it wasn't exactly against AC Milan was it? - I remember we bought Karel Poborsky because he had a good european championships, what happened to him?

Rooney's great, don't get me wrong, I rate the guy highly, and he will probably be one of the best in the world - He isn't there yet. He isn't a genius, he isn't a footballing God, he's just a kid with a lot of talent. Was he a goal scoring machine at Everton? - I think not... hardly his fault, but he didn't drag everton up the table by his goals from adverse conditions. He showed flashes of brilliance, but so did Matt LeTissier

Given a choice between Rooney, and 2x world class mids, I'd take the mids... strikers are nothing without a supply line, and we had enough strikers before Rooney arrived.

He will be a star, score sh*t-loads of goals, and help us win a few titles, but he's still over-rated. Once people calm down, they will realise this

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 2:10 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote:
best young talent the premiership has seen

that's not entirely what i said, is it.

Who, since Giggs arrived, is better than Rooney at Rooney's age? Bearing in mind he was 16 when he scored that goal against Arsenal.

There is no one. that's why i can call him the best young talent the premiership has seen since Giggs. Owen didn't make as big an impact as Rooney. And he's quite possibly the only one that comes close. Owen never had the strength, and still doesn't.

Sir Alex would never buy two quality midfielders instead of Rooney (which I agree would have been a better move) because he still has faith in Djemba Djemba and Kleberson. And also ridiculously, O'Shea in midfield and Bellion.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 2:57 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

ok, so I mis-quoted you - sue me - I'll correct it if you want, my point still stands.

You never said "at Rooneys age" in your original quote, if we are talking about young talent, what about beckham, cr7, Cesc is doing well for himself too - Owen didn't have the same impact?!? - before Euro 2004 Rooney was often referred to as "the new Michael Owen" - Owen was just as big as Rooney is right now.

Everyone is hyped up about Rooney, and that's why he is over-rated. he's young, and he's great, has the potential to go far. Being good when you are 16 doesn't guarantee that you will go on to be the best in the world, there are plenty of young players who looked great when they were young, but burned out... I don't think Rooney will, I just call for a bit of calm, look at it objectively.

Also, Rooney, having an impact in the premiership? - are you having a laugh?!? 17 goals in 3 years - 77 games, across all competitions? (Source) - he got 20 yellow cards in the same timescale... yeah, real impact... Owen had the impact in the premiership.

he only made an 'impact' because he is english, and was hyped to extremes - he was great in the euro's, and he's getting better, he's becoming more prolific, which is good - but he's still over-rated and hyped far too much, which is my original point.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 2:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

course he's made an impact, he's in the press every day. we hear no end of it. and never will now he's scored that hat trick. no mention that the opposition defence was a shambles in any newspaper though. they'll build him up to knock him down. he'll cope, i'm sure.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 3:45 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I'm making an important distinction between an impact on the field, and an impact in the press. I will agree he has made a huge impact in the press, but on the premiership field, he hasn't made too much of an impression - He's getting better, and I'm sure this season will be his best ever, not leas because he now has a better team around him.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 3:51 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

He's alright isnt he? He got Special K Stand bouncing last night, and if you'd have looked to your Right Andy you probably would have seen me breaking the seat in front of me by standing on the back of it and jumping...Theyre obv cheap seats.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 4:06 pm

learrggh -

Quote: tko_
legend?

he's playing fantastic right now... shame its for man utd. but still, he's english! WOOO!!!

Is he the tubby ginger one who you said looks like ****?

I know nothing about football. I'll just leave....

| 3,645 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 6:04 pm

yeah, the tubby looking one leah. and i don't tihnk he's a legend... yet. just some websites was calling him a legend so i started a thread.

he's definately near the top players in the world now though. he hit form at Euro2004, and judging by last night, he still has some of it. ok, wasn't the best team ever... but his goals were still good, and some of his passing was great.

he's one englands best player right now too. with owen not doing well at Real, and beckham not playing well at all. only lampard comes close on form. but i agree with andy about midfielders. gerrard and lampard, or rooney? gerrard and lampard any day.

[/center]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 7:05 pm

Chris Kamara -

Do well to get those for 27 million each, never mind together.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 10:16 pm

Carlos Tevez and a world class midfielder would have been good. Also, someone should snap up Hatem Ben Arfa. Mark my words, that guy is gonna be one of the worlds top players.

Anyway, I'm pleased we got Rooney, although the point about a quality midfielder is one I raised with Martin a while back.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

Tinkerbell

| 1,023 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 11:09 pm

Tinkerbell - Its Jah Love That Im Waiting On

Its Jah Love That Im Waiting On

[color=Blue]I Was going to say it was a typical boys thread about football
Excuse me while I light my spliff
Good God I gotta take a lift
From reality I just can't drift
That's why I am staying with this riff

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 11:44 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Last time we had 4 quality strikers we won the European cup. need I say more?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

30th Sept 2004 at 4:55 pm

Chris Kamara -

We also had Jaap Stam and Schmeichel then. Jaap Stam is probably one of my favourite players of all time. Ever since the day Patrick Vieira squared up to Roy Keane over a daft tackle. Stam ran 40 yards to bollock Vieira, and Vieira cowered away like the cocky dangerous lunatic he was back then.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 1:32 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Aye but if you remember rightly werea relied on our attack to get us out of the sh*t the defense got us in, having those strikers gives us attacking oppurtunities and the ability to change the game with quality players when it isnt going our way.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 8:26 am

snarf!

Quote: LoonyPandora_
Oh, and why do you hate Man U for signing players? - prejudiced git... I've had enough of people who hate Man U whenever they do anything, for no good reason. And where is your source that they have signed him, or did you just make it up

my sources are from both the newspapers, tv, teletext and the internet so , and i have every right to hate man utd after all the drummings theyve given leicester and all of the obviously biased decisions that go their way... how many goals have they after 90 minutes hmmm ive lost count but its lots.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 9:15 am

Chris Kamara -

Quote:
Aye but if you remember rightly werea relied on our attack to get us out of the sh*t the defense got us in, having those strikers gives us attacking oppurtunities and the ability to change the game with quality players when it isnt going our way.

Yes, I know. But we also had a great defence. Constant attacks won't win you games. Ask Madrid.

But yeah, 4 quality strikers gave us options. Without just one of the strikers, we wouldn't have won anything. It was some season.

Banned Skywalker

| 1,703 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 11:00 am

I love the Villa Revolution! Hail the Republic

I still think that Man U would have been better buying a top class keeper and a top class central defender to play along side Rio Ferdinand. I think Wes Brown and Silvestre make too many mistakes. Against Lyon and Fenerbahce the defence was laughable. I do think the Heinze was a good signing. As for Rooney excellent start, but one swallow does not make a summer.

Just because I'm a Villa supporter, I still like watching and can admire Man U's play in the Champions League, even if I do want them to lose.
I'm an eejit.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 12:22 pm

I'm still unsure about Tim Howard. He showed enough last season for me to have confidence in his ability, long term, but he seems out of sorts and Carrol has obviously been getting the nod of late.
As long as we don't get bloody Mark Schwarzer I'll be happy. Jaaskelinen has been touted, but we'd have to pay about

Banned Skywalker

| 1,703 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 12:28 pm

I heard Ferguson was interested in Carlo Cudochini ( can't spell his name, you know who I mean the Chelsea keeper).
I'm an eejit.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 2:03 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

[quote=Captain_stupendo_ link=1096401505/15#22 date=1096619207]

my sources are from both the newspapers, tv, teletext and the internet so

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 2:06 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: martin_

Yes, I know. But we also had a great defence. Constant attacks won't win you games. Ask Madrid.

But yeah, 4 quality strikers gave us options. Without just one of the strikers, we wouldn't have won anything. It was some season.
I wouldnt have said it was great defense, it was picked apart by Barcelona, etc that season, the last great defense we had was the Brucey/Pallister partnership.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 2:12 pm

Chris Kamara -

yeah, that partnership was so great that barcelona picked that apart too, lol. Romario was a different class back then though.

99 we still had a great defence, regardless of the odd game. We were solid. Took no messing around. Heinze is the kind of player we were in need of, because he doesn't back out of tackles. Him and Rio and Gary Neville on occassion are genuinely 100% committed. Like Stam was, but they're not as menacing.

Keane at the back is a waste of time. In fact, Keane anywhere this season (cept for the odd game) is a waste of time. Last season for him.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 2:52 pm

When we got hammered 4-0 by Barca (Romario running riot) I think, if my memory serves me correct, we had defenders out and Paul Parker played at centre defence. Doesn't help when you're up against a rampant Romario.

I agree Heinze looks good.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 3:07 pm

Chris Kamara -

Paul Parker. What a guy. He never took any sh*t, and he ran really funny. Hehe.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

1st Oct 2004 at 4:18 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Least he could run, Neil Webb couldnt. Neil F*cking Webb what a c*nt. Give me Lee Martin any day 8)

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

3rd Oct 2004 at 3:20 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

[quote=Captain_stupendo_ link=1096401505/15#22 date=1096619207]
my sources are from both the newspapers, tv, teletext and the internet so

Banned Skywalker

| 1,703 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 10:58 am

Strange thing I can see Man Utd winning the Champions League and finishing third or fourth in the Premeirship.
I'm an eejit.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 11:53 am

Chris Kamara -

I agree. I think the premiership is harder to win this time round.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 12:01 pm

snarf!

Arsenal again this year, chelsea maybe next year... its starting to get harder to see who'll win the leauge now which is good a bit of competition at last.

Banned Skywalker

| 1,703 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 12:16 pm

Arsenal are ripping every Premeirship they play to bits at the minute. I think that Chelsea will win the Premeirship, they remind me of the Man Utd side in 1995-96 and Arsenal under George Graham, not pretty but grinding out 2-1 and 1-0 wins to win the league. I don't think Arsenal can carry on the whole season in this form and they will drop points and lose games should Henry gor injuried.
I'm an eejit.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 12:19 pm

Chris Kamara -

There's something about Henry that you just can't help but like. He's 'world class' but he's not proved himself like true greats, Pele, Ronaldo, Maradona, etc. His time will come. Maybe. He's the reason I watch MOTD when Man Utd aren't even on it. Him and the rest of the Arsenal side. No harm in watching great football. Rivals or not.

Banned Skywalker

| 1,703 posts

5th Oct 2004 at 11:42 am

Henry is an excellent player and you can't help but admire his play. I'm glad he didn't play well during Euro2004 because if France had won the tournament I would have been gutted.
I'm an eejit.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

5th Oct 2004 at 1:32 pm

I truly hate Arsenal, not on a personal 'real' level, just in a competitive, light hearted sense. However, even I admit that they are a fantastic team with a great manager and terrific young players. I'd actually prefer the A*se to win it this season rather than Chelsea.

Henry is truly amazing, the way he teased Danny Mills last season afetr Mills had given him grief, hehe. He's also as cool as feck. God, I hate him

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

5th Oct 2004 at 4:26 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

I hate Arsenal more than I hate Man City, Leeds and Liverpool combined, purely for having the most cuntish fans in the country, who truly dont have a clue about football.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page