How's University going?

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

JM

| 8,289 posts

25th Sept 2004 at 5:24 pm

Since there were several threads on University before, thought i'd ask how everyone else is getting on now.

Personally, i'm really enjoying it so far, and the people in my block are great. The only thing i don't like is that it's never quiet here. It's noisy 20 hours of the day.

I've met loads of new people, and have really overcome my sort of shyness.

The course seems really good, but there's loads of reading!

As they say life's never dull in Hull.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

25th Sept 2004 at 7:13 pm

TinyShine -

Aww I'm glad uni is going well, mr Paul!

Uni is going grand for me. Moved in with a load of girls- It's a bit of a crazy house! One of the girls woke us all about really early the other morning, knocking on all our doors as she'd lost her purse *rolls eyes* She found it under her desk....*sigh* She also gets incredibly homesick and cries...
But I said it was going grand, and it is! It just makes me sssoooo tired. But it's good! I'm really not selling Jordanstown uni am I?!

Sarah xx

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

25th Sept 2004 at 9:58 pm

The people in my flat all seem real nice, some shyer than others. I don't know anyone else in the block, except that they must be female because all the flats above are female ones (for security, all the blocks have male flats on the ground floor). The induction was good - we made buggies from elastic bands and stuff, raced them* and also used them to knock over empty bottles - and then had we all had a paid game of bowling in our groups. I think I saw about four girls at the induction, and that was for all the courses in the engineering bit, so I think I chose the wrong course

Otherwise, good. A bit boring at the moment - I can't get into the union after 8 due to being 17; if we got there earlier, it'd be fine as once I'm in they're not fussed - but I see much promise of good times!

* Ours went forward, then started reversing back to the start line. It rocked.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

25th Sept 2004 at 10:23 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Well, I'm currently using one of my housemate's laptop (he's freeloading from next door's Broadband, but hey, his problem ). Everyone here smokes, drinks and takes drugs. So not much different from being in sixth-form. I go home on Sunday, so during the week, I'll write up my Freshers' Week in detail in [url=www.livejournal.com/users/anbyrobanby]my LJ[/url]. I've met all sorts of magical people, and had a great time, with the exception of last night, when I felt an echo of my previous moody persona playing its face again. I hate that side of me, becaue if/when it sets in again, I won't be able to shake it off, rendering the whole week defunct. Other than that, it's been damn good, and I've been meeting all sorts of funky people.

Edited by Obelisk the Tormentor Sept 2004
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Flapdoodle

| 4,238 posts

26th Sept 2004 at 6:59 pm

Flapdoodle - TO THE SEA...

TO THE SEA...

I don;'t go till Saturday, my getting ready for uni is just not happening though.

Jaded Dragon

| 419 posts

26th Sept 2004 at 7:15 pm

Jaded Dragon -

I'm currently homeless and term starts tomorrow!
Ah well I don't actually have to show my face till thursday so with a bit of luck I'll be sorted by then *crosses fingers*
Mal:Ship like this, be with you until the day you die.
Zoe: That's because it's a deathtrap sir
Rumrunner/Browncoat/nutcase though not  necessarily in that order

The Angry Monkey Show

| 2,387 posts

26th Sept 2004 at 7:50 pm

The Angry Monkey Show - Stop it, Catherine

Stop it, Catherine

I have successfully met a ton of people I already knew. Aces. Almost all of them are lovely, though, so it's alright. Lectures are starting, just starting, to become interesting, a trait which my chosen societies have yet to truly master. Although GameSoc didn't even ask for any of my contact details after I handed over my money, so I mightn't quite be in there.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/Brilliant+Karl.png]

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

27th Sept 2004 at 1:04 pm

Lucozade Lover -

*jumps on bandwagon*

I'm a continuing student.

EvilTongs

| 2,176 posts

27th Sept 2004 at 1:22 pm

Not here much.

*Wakes up from nap*

Gap years. Don't ya just love em....

*Goes back to sleep* zzzzzzz.....
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap the motherf*cker upside the head.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

27th Sept 2004 at 8:45 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I'll tell you tomorrow when I go back. Yes, YOU.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

27th Sept 2004 at 9:07 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

I haven't gone yet either, I go onTuesday 5th.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 1:06 pm

I've been back two days and it's much the same as last year, sat around Freshers Fair giving out 'join Cross Country and get a free monkey' signs. We also won the Old Horse quiz yesterday for the first time
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:11 pm

Quote:
sat around Freshers Fair giving out 'join Cross Country and get a free monkey' signs

Heh, at our Freshers Fair, we got given free candyfloss on the condition we signed away our internal organs.

Jaded Dragon

| 419 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:17 pm

Jaded Dragon -

I go back tomorrow and I have somewhere live! Actually I should probably be packing now!!
Mal:Ship like this, be with you until the day you die.
Zoe: That's because it's a deathtrap sir
Rumrunner/Browncoat/nutcase though not  necessarily in that order

Nemi

| 837 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:31 pm

That candyfloss was nice. I miss not my internal organs. Oh, and the christian union free spaghetti was VERY nice after a night of drunken debauchery last night.

But I no longer have a phone after I dropped it in the toilet last night in some club during previously mentioned night of drunken debauchery.

Pooey.

But yeah, uni's good, but I'm missing having sofa's and someone to cook for me. SEXUAL FAVOURS FOR SOMEONE WHO GETS ME A SOFA TO LIE ON AND COOKS FOR ME!!!!!*
People seem nice, but havent talked to loads, the way our block of flats is set up means you don't really get to know anyone else in the block. But I did meet a guy called chris yesterday, I found him passed out on the stairs, because his flatmates were out and couldnt get in. He got collected eventually though... I wanted a pet

*Note. I may be lying. But I would really like a sofa and not to have to cook for me/spend my alcohol money on fa takeaway when I'm feeling really REALLY lazy...

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:38 pm

You lost yer phone?

Nemi

| 837 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:42 pm

I didnt lose it, i just dropped it into a toilet full of pee...

I still have it, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working now.. :p

It's on the table drying out now, but if it doesnt work after about 2 days, I'm going to see if i can get as new one...

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:45 pm

Heh, so if I phone it, will it make a weird whirring noise?

Nemi

| 837 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:49 pm

Actually, I've got my flatmates old mobile, and the chip seems to be mostly working, but its still quite iffy...

Plus, I can't work that f*cking thing so I've decided its easier to count it as theres nothing.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 9:51 pm

Aww, that's cheating...

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

30th Sept 2004 at 12:41 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Nemi_
I didnt lose it, i just dropped it into a toilet full of pee...

I still have it, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be working now.. :p

It's on the table drying out now, but if it doesnt work after about 2 days, I'm going to see if i can get as new one...
Hair dryer on cold and a sting in an airing cupboard wrapped in kicthen paper should take the moisture out of it, which is the problem...

Nemi

| 837 posts

30th Sept 2004 at 12:43 am

would a kitchen cupboard do?

Our flat doesnt have a airing cupboard...

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

30th Sept 2004 at 12:50 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

somewhere warm and dry really, not too hot though.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

2nd Oct 2004 at 10:33 pm

Well, I'm a week behind on my course already, but best start as you mean to go on, I always say...

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

2nd Oct 2004 at 10:35 pm

Chris Kamara -

my attendance is.....ok. better than last year. my eagerness remains the same.

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

2nd Oct 2004 at 11:21 pm

Quote: Nemi_
Oh, and the christian union free spaghetti was VERY nice after a night of drunken debauchery last night.

Ours gave out Heinz Beansz.

And as for drunken debauchery... cocktails are fun, apple sours are horrid yet irrestible, and having lots of different types of drink is a bad idea. Although, so far, not one hangover ever.

And on Friday, I missed a lecture, and possibly a lab too. Oh yeah I rebel I am.

Nemi

| 837 posts

2nd Oct 2004 at 11:45 pm

I've never had a hangover

And thats not due to not drinking enough

I love annoying people with that...

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

2nd Oct 2004 at 11:55 pm

Ditto. Sort of.

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

3rd Oct 2004 at 11:09 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

Going on Tuesday going on Tuesday... Can't wait. Packing today.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 2:45 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

It's going really well. Although shorthand is impossible. The rest of journalism is good though, and i'm enjoying english too. my housemates are lovely, and chris came and stayed with me yesterday which sort of eased my occasional homsickness. My house is all girls, and the bedrooms on the bottom floors have bars on (for security) but I'm on second floor luckily so mine doesn't. The cleaners here dont clean they sit in our kitchen and smoke/ drink coffee which is a bit annoying but never mind. Had some very good nights out, didn't join any societies though as I'm cheap the only one i wanted to join was RockSoc but Ididn't dare, as the people joining looked at me funny when i picked up a flyer So yeah uni life is good, might i mention it rains in salford every day. We have a "celeb" student ----> Spencer from Byker Grove
Wife of the lovely Alice

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 4:15 pm

Lucozade Lover -

[quote=TheUnitedTruth_ link=1096133045/15#29 date=1096901158] the only one i wanted to join was RockSoc but Ididn't dare, as the people joining looked at me funny when i picked up a flyer

Topper

| 6,773 posts

4th Oct 2004 at 4:29 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

When I started I joined the kick boxing society, but before you all poop your pants with fear, I never actually went. On Fresher's week, this huge guy from the kick boxing society just jumped out in front of me and shouted "JOIN THE KICK BOXING SOCIETY RIGHT NOW!" I obliged, not wanting to anger the mentalist.

I started back last week though. This year is shaping up to be pretty tough, I'm already considering quiting my weekend job to concentrate on my work.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

ΠανδώÏα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page