pentagrams

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:18 pm

Chris Kamara -

i have never done it and i have no idea.

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:20 pm

Ummm.. no. It's just a common thing that people draw on their hands, ie hearts, stars etc. And you spelt it wrong, it's pentagrams
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Flapdoodle

| 4,238 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:27 pm

Flapdoodle - TO THE SEA...

TO THE SEA...

Not something I've seen, nor something I'd do, not a fan of going round advertising I'm not feeling happy.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:31 pm

learrggh -

Pentagrams, or pentacles, are usually a sign of witchcraft, or sometimes when reversed Satanism, so the 'I'm depressed so I'm gonna draw a pentacle to show my dark side woohoo' makes sense. Yeeah.

Li_Li

| 18 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:43 pm

I Love The Vegetable Revolution!

Quote: Calico_Jack_
Pentagrams, or pentacles, are usually a sign of witchcraft, or sometimes when reversed Satanism, so the 'I'm depressed so I'm gonna draw a pentacle to show my dark side woohoo' makes sense. Yeeah.

I read in " the da Vinchi code" it was is actually an ancient symbol meaning feminity and the power of women until the catholic church (misogynists!) started putting women down and changed it to a symbol of evil.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:53 pm

learrggh -

Quote: leah_2_

I read in " the da Vinchi code" it was is actually an ancient symbol meaning feminity and the power of women until the catholic church (misogynists!) started putting women down and changed it to a symbol of evil.

Isn't 'The Da Vinci Code' a work of fiction, using a few sparks of truth and twisting them around til it forms some sort of conspiracy type plot?

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 3:57 pm

learrggh -

Saying that, it is quite possible it could mean what you said.
But my point was, and still is, it is used in witchcraft and sometimes Satanism, and so it's quite possible somebody in Rox's year drew it on their hand to show they were a depressed satanistic goff, or whatever, and then everyone else copied. Lemmings.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:00 pm

learrggh -

And it still isn't a 'power of evil' - I can't remember the meaning behind it but it isn't used to be evil, unless the Satanists use it and you consider how they use it evil. The reason why the Christians don't like it as far as I know is because it is a Pagan symbol, and as we all know, Christians don't like Pagans. Plus, as I have mentioned several times, the Satanists adapted it by putting it upside down, and using it for their own religion.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:01 pm

learrggh -

Uh, I'll shut up till somebody else posts. :-[

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:07 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

pagans adapted it actually its the sign of the goat. i spent alot of time in a spiritualist place...it hasn thign to do with satanism really it was just adopted by them. christians did help change it too.
that aside wasn't it richard ramierez that had a pentagram on the back of his let hand? i think so i'm not certain but one famous serial killer did.
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:53 pm

learrggh -

Quote: flamingphoenix_
pagans adapted it actually its the sign of the goat. i spent alot of time in a spiritualist place...it hasn thign to do with satanism really it was just adopted by them. christians did help change it too.
that aside wasn't it richard ramierez that had a pentagram on the back of his let hand? i think so i'm not certain but one famous serial killer did.

The goat?
And yes I did mean that the Satanists adopted it. Christians did change it too, as I said, because they don't like the Pagans/Satanists and because it is a symbol of theirs, they're going to go preaching it's an evil symbol.
I don't know about the serial killer, do a google search and you might find out. However, I doubt all of Rox's classmates have been drawing pentacles on their left hands in homage to a serial killer, so....

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:55 pm

I thought it was meant to represent the 5 elements, ie water, earth, fire, air, spirit..?
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:56 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

richard ramirez

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 4:57 pm

learrggh -

Quote: TiredHappy_
I thought it was meant to represent the 5 elements, ie water, earth, fire, air, spirit..?

True. That could possibly be the adapted pagan meaning.

I will have to look this up now, I'm intrigued.

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:02 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

the goat (itsn to in the circle but yeah you get the idea

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:03 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

Quote: Calico_Jack_

True. That could possibly be the adapted pagan meaning.

it is the meaning my mate is pagan andh e taught me all about it and i found about hte goat all on my own! when i got into tarrot (thinks...shud get tarot cards out again)

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:19 pm

The goat symbol was originally an upside down A with the middle line sticking out, I believe, so it'd have somehow mutated from that. Possibly.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:27 pm

learrggh -

it is the meaning my mate is pagan andh e taught me all about it and i found about hte goat all on my own! when i got into tarrot (thinks...shud get tarot cards out again)

What I meant, was that you said the original meaning is that the pentagram symbolised a goat - and the Pagans adapted the meaning.
So, the adapted meaning is the air, fire, water, earth and spirit - which is what is used today as the meaning of the five points.

I just looked this up on the net, bear with me.

The pentagram, for Pagans, represents the five elements.
The inverted pentagram, for Satanists, represents the 'humanist philosophy' they apparently have, as I just read somewhere.
The pentagram originally represented the goat.
The serial killer who had the pentagram on his hand - see here:
[http://www.shyscyberchamber.com/images/ramirez7.jpg]
was Richard Ramirez - dubbed 'Night Stalker'. (Los Angeles, summer of 1985).

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:28 pm

learrggh -

[quote=Pablo_The_Ref_ link=1095693381/15#18 date=1095700773]The goat symbol was originally an upside down A with the middle line sticking out, I believe, so it'd have somehow mutated from that.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:38 pm

Chris Kamara -

am i the only person who thinks its just a funny daft shape with no real meaning? its just a symbol. sorry to sound narrow-minded but thats just how i see it.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:44 pm

learrggh -

Quote: martin_
am i the only person who thinks its just a funny daft shape with no real meaning? its just a symbol. sorry to sound narrow-minded but thats just how i see it.

I'm just debating the meanings given to the symbol, in all its various forms, and religions.

Whether or not the sign has any substance and it actually something with any kind of power, is another subject entirely.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:46 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote:
I'm just debating the meanings given to the symbol, in all its various forms, and religions.

Whether or not the sign has any substance and it actually something with any kind of power, is another subject entirely.

no, fair enough, i'm not having a go at all. re: 'power', thats the aspect i find crazy and ridiculous. if a shape can have power, then i'm a really big orange bear with 9 arms.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:48 pm

Chris Kamara -

its like David Blaine and that 'eye' he has on his hand. 'Protection against death'. B*ll*cks, he's on a different planet, deluding himself. Attention seeking to the extreme.

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 5:57 pm

Hobbes - the hoopiest of all the froods

the hoopiest of all the froods

Heh heh - the Eamon Holmes interview...
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 6:01 pm

learrggh -

I found this quote regarding the upside down pentagram -

'The Pentagram signifies the domination of the mind over the elements, and the demons of air, the spirits of fire, the phantoms of water and ghosts of earth are enchained by this sign. Equipped therewith, and suitably disposed, you may behold the infinite through the medium of that faculty which is like the soul

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 6:02 pm

learrggh -

I'm done now. I just find this sort of thing fascinating.

And a good distraction from homework....

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 6:09 pm

"Traditionally, each of the five angles has been attributed to the five metaphysical elements of the ancients:

EARTH: (lower left hand corner) represents stability and physical endurance.
FIRE: (lower right hand corner) represents courage and daring.
WATER: (upper right hand corner) represents emotions and intuition.
AIR: (upper left hand corner) represents intelligence and the arts.
SPIRIT: (at the topmost point) represents the All and the Divine.

The Circle around the star represents the God-Goddess; it refracts and reflects all light, bringing to the wearer total intelligence, universal wisdom and protection."
Thom is happy

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 7:51 pm

Chris Kamara -

sounds like a great club

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 8:01 pm

learrggh -

[quote=Luco_El_Loco_ link=1095693381/30#30 date=1095709813]I know I'm digressing but isn't it a misconception that satanists are evil?

It might have something to do with the supposed war that took place in heaven (so some random bloke in a club lectured me), whereby Satan was banished and fell to earth as a broken demon with the fallen angels which took his side in the war in god's kingdom.

WasteOfAnAngel

| 222 posts

20th Sept 2004 at 8:26 pm

Cute L'il Dead Girl

I had a friend who carved a pentagram into the back of her right hand when she was depressed, but it was mainly for show, the attention seeking wench

It doesn't mean anything I dont think, I draw a lot more when I'm down because I need something else to focus on other than what makes me upset, never pentagrams because I never see them up here and so don't think of them, mainly swirly things and valkyries
Take your wings outside, you can't fly in here

be creative, invent a new perversion

> > recommended book ~ Chuck Palahniuk - Diary < <
> > recommended song ~ The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby < <

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

21st Sept 2004 at 5:18 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

I used to draw them all the time! I got really ornate ones and ones with highlighter pens, and it got to the point where I even started using "pentagram" in my passwords! Irrelevant, I know, but meh
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

21st Sept 2004 at 5:24 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Account_Abandoned_
I even started using "pentagram" in my passwords!

Ooh ey? Hmm......

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

21st Sept 2004 at 5:28 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Good luck, I wasn't on VR at the time, missy
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

21st Sept 2004 at 6:57 pm

the goat (itsn to in the circle but yeah you get the idea

I, Kerrie, accuse thee, Flaming Phoenix, of being a witch.

Goats, eh? Goats make cheese, If I'm not wrong. you get cheese on biscuits, and you keep biscuits in cupboards, and you also keep broomsticks in cupboards. And who has broomsticks?

Yes, I thought so....
Thom is happy

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

21st Sept 2004 at 7:24 pm

learrggh -

Quote: TiredHappy_

I, Kerrie, accuse thee, Flaming Phoenix, of being a witch.

Goats, eh? Goats make cheese, If I'm not wrong. you get cheese on biscuits, and you keep biscuits in cupboards, and you also keep broomsticks in cupboards. And who has broomsticks?

Yes, I thought so....

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page