Shopping

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Vel

| 23,203 posts

17th Aug 2010 at 8:57 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I have a wedding to go to. Therefore, I need something to wear. And so, I went shopping today.

Oh what a mistake! You should never, ever go shopping when you're feeling down about your appearance. It only serves to make things far, far worse.

For starters, nothing fits. And I really mean this. Everything is a funny shape with ruffles in the wrong places, or specifically designed for skinny girls so I can't even get things past my thighs. I didn't even realise I'd gotten so fat. Clearly, these things creep up on you.

And don't get me started on colours. I can't wear pastels with my skin tone! They honestly do look stupid! I mean, laughably ridiculous.

And I don't like big prints or flowery prints or basically pretty everything that is in the shops at the moment.

And it makes me feel fat and frumpy and hideous. Meh.

So I went for a manicure instead. Nail polish doesn't discriminate over sizes and there are thousands of different colours too.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

17th Aug 2010 at 9:29 pm

Urgh, I know how you feel

My mum keeps trying to make me go shopping with her and I keep claiming I'm broke to get out of it. I can't think of anything worse when I'm on this much of an appearance downer.

Thing is, I know that I've looked worse in my time. Now I just seem to care more and feel more hideous.
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 1:58 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Token male post.

You were saying?

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 6:45 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Resident Death, Aug 2010

And I don't like big prints or flowery prints or basically pretty everything that is in the shops at the moment.

I hate that fashion. Makes all women look like insane maiden aunts from the countryside alliance.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 6:48 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: James, Aug 2010

I hate that fashion. Makes all women look like insane maiden aunts from the countryside alliance.

Unfortunately, it seems to be all that is in at the moment. Besides f*cking pastels.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 7:46 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

You want to try finding some decent t-shirts that aren't covered in glitter or some dogsh*t tattoo style drawings of dragons with sequins.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 7:55 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Super Nintendo Chalmers, Aug 2010
You want to try finding some decent t-shirts that aren't covered in glitter or some dogsh*t tattoo style drawings of dragons with sequins.

Or HILARIOUS t-shirts with slogans such as "Take me drunk, I'm home" or "If found, please return to the bar"
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 8:51 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Barrington Smash, Aug 2010

Or HILARIOUS t-shirts with slogans such as "Take me drunk, I'm home" or "If found, please return to the bar"

Or ones that Super Dry or Gio Goi have vomitted all over with OSAKA or some sh*te.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 9:37 am

Roxannie -

Try charity shops; you can quite often find occasion dresses that have hardly been worn, and if something doesn't quite fit right you can take it to a seamstress for minor alterations and overall it won't cost much more than something brand new.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 9:39 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: Annie, Aug 2010
Try charity shops; you can quite often find occasion dresses that have hardly been worn, and if something doesn't quite fit right you can take it to a seamstress for minor alterations and overall it won't cost much more than something brand new.

Not in Manchester central. They've been purged by these "vintage" shoppers.

However, it is a good idea. Next day I'm free, I may take a trip to Alti, what with all those posh folk!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 9:41 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Annie, Aug 2010

Not in Manchester central. They've been purged by these "vintage" shoppers.

However, it is a good idea. Next day I'm free, I may take a trip to Alti, what with all those posh folk!

There's only a couple of charidee shops in AltY (NEVER AltI ) Hale is better and if you and Scott want to come up a week on Saturday, I'll keep him entertained whilst you mooch, you're more than welcome

Vel

| 23,203 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 9:48 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

That would be perfect, monsieur. Absolutely perfect. In Alty. Well, Hale.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Paula

| 4,556 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 10:18 am

Paula - King of Knights

King of Knights

Oh what a mistake! You should never, ever go shopping when you're feeling down about your appearance. It only serves to make things far, far worse.

Amen sister.

My particular bad habit (which I have posted about before so apologies for repeating myself) is that when I'm out shopping and feeling down I always end up at the expensive makeup counters in Fenwicks, where the saleswomen can smell my weakness and talk me into spending ridiculous amounts of money on overpriced makeup.

I've actually gotten pretty good with applying makeup and I actually emailed a few companies to try to get the job as the lovely smiling woman behind the counter who shows you how to do something pretty while saying nice things as it butters you up to just spend spend spend because that woman is so nice, but apparently there's a formal qualification in makeup artistry which I lack and I have been tempted to go for this, despite the costs. Which would be stupid of me and proves yet again that these companies are geniuses at getting insecure females to part with their money

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

18th Aug 2010 at 8:36 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: James, Aug 2010

It looks like curtains. IT LOOKS LIKE F*CKING CURTAINS!

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls is a t-shirt I f*cking despise, genocide in t-shirt form.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

19th Aug 2010 at 10:57 am

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

It is really creepy and scary lots of boy t-shirts are pretty rape-y. - "Please can you read my t-shirt while I look at your breasts". Blee!

I am going to a wedding at the beginning of September too. I am really looking forward to it, but I do not want to wear a suit at-all - I feel really uncomfy and self-conscious - I am really worried I will look like an accountant.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

19th Aug 2010 at 11:06 am

Delirium Tremens -

Or ones that Super Dry or Gio Goi have vomitted all over with OSAKA or some sh*te.

Or faux-scruffy chequered shirts that look like they cost about 50p, but they want thirty quid for.

I went shopping yesterday, actually, and it took me a while to remember that me and fashion aren't friends at the moment. Only River Island and JJB had clothes that didn't make you look like a c*nt.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Aug 2010 at 11:12 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Little Blue Fox., Aug 2010

It is really creepy and scary lots of boy t-shirts are pretty rape-y. - "Please can you read my t-shirt while I look at your breasts". Blee!

I am going to a wedding at the beginning of September too. I am really looking forward to it, but I do not want to wear a suit at-all - I feel really uncomfy and self-conscious - I am really worried I will look like an accountant.

Dont worry, dressing so you don't look like an accountant doesn't have to be too taxing
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

19th Aug 2010 at 6:26 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Which genius is designing clothes for girls WITHOUT HIPS!

Girls have hips.

It is a part of our anatomy. We are female. Our hips are bigger. THEREFORE, DESIGN YOUR CLOTHES SO THAT THEY ARE NOT MADE FOR TEENAGE BOYS!

I thought maxi-dresses were supposed to flatter all.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page