Singledom

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

1st Feb 2010 at 5:02 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Paula The Vampire Slayer, Feb 2010
I'd like to get some outside opinions on something if I may...

In a nutshell, I fancy the pants off a guy who is one of my best friends. I have done for ages and I decided that it'd be best if I just left it at that because I didn't want to risk our friendship over it. He's a complete flirt and since he knows I'll let him get away with it he acts really flirty towards me. The thing is (and the reason I'll put up with his nonsense) he's given me a lot of confidence and self-belief so he means a lot to me and I couldn't bear it if things turned bad.

Today a friend asked me what was going on between us. I told her more or less what I've put in this post. She said that she was sick of watching the two of us dancing around each other and asked me that if i knew that he felt the same way about me would I risk it? I couldn't bring myself to say anything but I kind of think that my face said it all.

Anyway, I'm just not sure what to think at the minute and I just needed to get it off my chest

Sounds complicated alright, and I don't envy you. Do you have any indication as to how he feels about you, or maybe does your friend know something she's not letting on?
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

1st Feb 2010 at 5:29 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Yep, he DEFINITELY wants some Paula Sexy Time.

I am exactly like he is with you, with the bird I'm currently smitten with.

Also, you're ridiculously attractive, so if he's got eyes and a pulse, he should fancy you. Being a good mate is an added bonus, IMO.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

1st Feb 2010 at 7:35 pm

Dissimulation -

Hockey legend Wayne Gretsky once said, you will always miss 100 percent of the shots you never take. Sounds to me like there's chemistry there, but neither of you have that confidence to make the first move!

Ask him out for coffee/drinks/food. It doesn't have to be a 'date', just two friends enjoying each other's company in a more relaxing environment. See how it goes from there.

But I would just ask him. Some guys need a lot of hints and if he's a proper friend, it won't effect your relationship whatever the outcome. Not only that, but I'm with Dan. Only a d*ckhead would not be interested in dating an attractive and intelligent woman. Turn your brain off and ask him. Go! Do it! Full steam ahead! Etc..

Edited by Dissimulation Feb 2010

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

1st Feb 2010 at 8:13 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

A word of warning, only go for it if you are sure you want it. Don't get all hot and heavy with him, then turn the cold shoulder. That will ruin even a strong friendship.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

1st Feb 2010 at 9:05 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: The Underwhelmed One, Feb 2010

But then, I suppose I don't really know what's going on with him and I don't want to ask in case it's bad and how do you ask that kind of thing anyway?

I'd start with a simple, so when does blah blah blah get back from Japan, and go from there. You can follow that up in an infinite number of ways, but if he doesn't give too much away, I'd probably ask him what the secrets are too a successful long distance relationship - so you can pass on some much-needed advice to a friend of yours. If you conclude from a bit of digging he seems happy with her, forget him. If he gives you reason to believe things aren't working out with this girl, take it from there.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

5th Feb 2010 at 4:06 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: the doc, Feb 2010
Quote: Paula, Feb 2010
We talked. He just wants to be friends

Well at least you talked - now you can just get on with being mates without having that in the back of your mind all the time and you'll probably be closer for it in the long run. Well done for doing it anyway - I've had to do stuff like that in the past and it takes real balls

Stu speaks the truth! Doing that took some real guts. Sure, it may not have gone your way this time, but it's a big step in the right direction and you should feel proud of yourself! And the next time you find yourself wanting to ask out some guy, you'll know that's it's easier than it first appears and you've got what it takes to grit your teeth and go in for the kill! What you don't do from here is let this guy's decision knock your confidence, or add to those silly and groundless self esteem issues you seem to have. Take it as a step forward and remember, if you're ever down in Leicester, you can always look-up Joel.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 12:26 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

In a nutshell, I fancy the pants off a guy who is one of my best friends. I have done for ages and I decided that it'd be best if I just left it at that because I didn't want to risk our friendship over it. He's a complete flirt and since he knows I'll let him get away with it he acts really flirty towards me. The thing is (and the reason I'll put up with his nonsense) he's given me a lot of confidence and self-belief so he means a lot to me and I couldn't bear it if things turned bad.

Oh gosh - I feel like it too. I really like a girl, but she is one of my bestest friends. I do not want to make everything really messy and wrong and muddled. We are both really shy and scaredy. I really want to be with her *all* the time, I think, but also I am really happy she is my friend too. Please does it make sense at-all?

I am not sure I would be a good boyfriend at-all. I am really weird and scatty and frsutrating, sometimes.
I will be a boy spinster forever, I think, with cats and badgers and my books and angel cake.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 4:05 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Eyes Wide Terrified., Feb 2010
Oh gosh - I feel like it too. I really like a girl, but she is one of my bestest friends. I do not want to make everything really messy and wrong and muddled. We are both really shy and scaredy. I really want to be with her *all* the time, I think, but also I am really happy she is my friend too. Please does it make sense at-all?

Same situation here with one of my friends. Unfortunately, there seems to be an non-definable line where eventually you're friends for so long, a relationship becomes out of the question. Not least because you now know too much about each other.

That doesn't mean nothing will happen, but expect a higher amount of rejection in trying to start a relationship with a friend, than with someone who's less well-known. Which completely sucks.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 4:18 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Ted 'Smooth' Bundy, Feb 2010
If you don't ask, you'll never know.

That too. Though I don't ask because she keeps going on about the guys she does like, which sort of abolishes any idea of her liking me. At least in my mind.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 4:55 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: Eyes Wide Terrified., Feb 2010

I am not sure I would be a good boyfriend at-all. I am really weird and scatty and frsutrating, sometimes.
I will be a boy spinster forever, I think, with cats and badgers and my books and angel cake.

Heck, you make sense most of the time. And everyone's weird, scatty and frustrating.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Topper

| 6,773 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 5:13 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dutch girls are beautiful. Dutch people are awesome.

*has just got back from Amsterdam and is not able to go into much more depth whilst his body is crying internally for sleep*
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 6:10 pm

learrggh -

f*ck it, i want a new boy. new being key. swear to god everyone i meet is f*cking retarded.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 6:12 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: pedobear, Feb 2010
f*ck it, i want a new boy. new being key. swear to god everyone i meet is f*cking retarded.

I think men in general just are a bit retarded. You just have to find a certain retardation you find amusing and cute, rather than annoying.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 8:32 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Alec, Feb 2010

I think men in general just are a bit retarded. You just have to find a certain retardation you find amusing and cute, rather than annoying.

In the interests of equality, I think you'll find EVERYONE regardless of gender, race or religion is "f*cking retarded".

people in general are a bit sh*t, yeah. but i didn't mean it like that - specifically lately all i've met are blokes who can't hold a conversation, look/smell like they've not bathed in weeks let alone changed clothes, seem genuinely intimidated by me, and have that aura of creepiness about them that would send anybody running.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 8:38 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

In the interests of equality, I think you'll find EVERYONE regardless of gender, race or religion is "f*cking retarded".

people in general are a bit sh*t, yeah. but i didn't mean it like that - specifically lately all i've met are blokes who can't hold a conversation, look/smell like they've not bathed in weeks let alone changed clothes, seem genuinely intimidated by me, and have that aura of creepiness about them that would send anybody running.

I'd bum ya.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

8th Feb 2010 at 11:07 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Yeah, I was just directing my response to the fact she said 'men' and not 'anything with human DNA'

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 12:58 am

Dissimulation -

Quote: Darren, Feb 2010
Question.

You meet a girl out and about in town, you find her rather hot (Who wouldn't) and have a chat with her, you then see her and chat the week after.

Would it be considered odd to add her on facebook?

I was having this debate before hte whole theft debacle and been told that no, no it wouldn't however, this is me talking...

If you've got a few mutual friends and the conversations lasted longer than say 10 minutes my vote would be no. Even more so if she's mentioned in passing her surname.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 1:18 am

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

How do you get to know the name of someone who works behind the till at HMV? There's a girl working there I've had a couple of conversations with whilst I was buying stuff, and there's always the eye contact and smiles when I see her, but I'm not sure how best to cross the customer/staff boundary.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 1:22 am

Πανδώρα -

get a sharpie & a mirror... write whatever you want to know on your left butt cheek, take it to the shop, get it out & ask her to scribble the answers to it all on your right cheek

take a photo of it when you get home & there you go
*burp*

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 1:39 am

Dissimulation -

Quote: Darren, Feb 2010
Single mutual friend, not sure how long we spoke for, however drinks were offered by both parties. Her name (forname only) was mentioned, since I was confused about its pronunciation.

I'd do it and then send her a quick message saying hi, you really enjoyed talking to her the other night, a bit of humour or filler revelant to your meeting and then see if she'd be up for partaking in round two. If she doesn't accept, or says no, then her loss. Sounds like it's definitely worth a punt, though.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 1:45 am

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Eddie Wachowski, Feb 2010
get a sharpie & a mirror... write whatever you want to know on your left butt cheek, take it to the shop, get it out & ask her to scribble the answers to it all on your right cheek

take a photo of it when you get home & there you go

I think I need a way that doesn't controvene public decency laws.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 7:31 pm

River Phoenix

How do you get to know the name of someone who works behind the till at HMV? There's a girl working there I've had a couple of conversations with whilst I was buying stuff, and there's always the eye contact and smiles when I see her, but I'm not sure how best to cross the customer/staff boundary.

Maybe you could say something like: Hi, i'm Alec, look my name up on Urban Dictionary and you'll be amazed.

i thought people in HMV wore name badges, anyroad.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 7:33 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Feb 2010

Maybe you could say something like: Hi, i'm Alec, look my name up on Urban Dictionary and you'll be amazed.

She wears lots of badges on her uniform, so her name badge is hidden beneath/amongst them all. I can't stare for too long each time trying to find it, or she'll think I'm looking at her lady-bumps.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 7:36 pm

River Phoenix

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Feb 2010

She wears lots of badges on her uniform, so her name badge is hidden beneath/amongst them all. I can't stare for too long each time trying to find it, or she'll think I'm looking at her lady-bumps.

Oh right, that's too bad.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 7:37 pm

Πανδώρα -

...is the till operators name not normally printed on the receipt?
*burp*

Alec

| 1,347 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 7:41 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Quote: Eddie Wachowski, Feb 2010
...is the till operators name not normally printed on the receipt?

Just checked the receipt from yesterday, and it's just got a Merchant ID Number, not a name. Also, going up and saying "Hi Jane/Lucy/Andrea etc." might creep her out a bit.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 7:50 pm

Πανδώρα -

pffft, you could have had a whole moment when she gave you the ticket, you could have said "thanks... *reads ticket...* Jeremy" with a little wink & everything
*burp*

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

9th Feb 2010 at 11:23 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Babestation, Feb 2010

But then, I suppose I don't really know what's going on with him and I don't want to ask in case it's bad and how do you ask that kind of thing anyway?

I'd start with a simple, so when does blah blah blah get back from Japan, and go from there. You can follow that up in an infinite number of ways, but if he doesn't give too much away, I'd probably ask him what the secrets are too a successful long distance relationship - so you can pass on some much-needed advice to a friend of yours. If you conclude from a bit of digging he seems happy with her, forget him. If he gives you reason to believe things aren't working out with this girl, take it from there.

She's not coming back, she's going from there straight to India in August and from there who knows.
But he supports her, despite them being in a rubbish relationship which went wrong two years ago when they broke up Christmas 2007, because she only came to england to study because of him.
So he's paying out several thousand pounds so she can do that.

There was a whole heap of other stuff, but basically that's one hell of a situation.

He also said that he knew how he was acting was wrong, but it's been so long since he felt like he was in a proper relationship that he forgets most of the time that he is, and then feels terrible when he realises.

This may be too messy

But he and I have just... clicked.

Gah!

You and your man choices... Couldn't make that sh*t up.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: