LFC snub Luton Town request for gate receipts?

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

6th Jan 2008 at 9:56 pm

VR kicks ass!

Anyone else been following this story?

(Note to Liverpool fans: I'm in no way claiming that this story's true. If a cheque is winging its way to Luton as we speak, then full credit to LFC officials.)

If the reports are true, Liverpool are bang out of order. £100,000 wouldn't even cover Gerrard or Torres' wages for one week, whereas Luton Town's players (ordinary people with bills to pay like you or I as opposed to multi millionaires with no grasp of reality) haven't been paid for 9 weeks and are, in some cases, facing the very grim and very real prospect of poverty.

Would it really be such a big ask for them to hand over their poxy third of the gate receipts, just like they did when they played TNS in the Champions' League or like Chelsea did to Scarborough? I can't help but feel that, if they had an English chairman, they would have avoided this nasty faux pas. Say what you like about Abramovich, but at least he has a knowledge of English football culture.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

6th Jan 2008 at 9:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

It's tight, if you like, but Luton weren't entitled to it and it's not Liverpool's fault - as much as I dislike them - that Luton are in the situation they're in.

If it was my club United who were playing Luton, I'd rather the money went on paying off our own debts than someone elses.

Although I can still see why people are unhappy about it, football is a business, and that means being selfish often takes priority.

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

6th Jan 2008 at 10:10 pm

VR kicks ass!

To be fair though, the resulting bad press and subsequent lack of goodwill towards Liverpool could end up costing them a lot more than £100,000 in other ways.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

6th Jan 2008 at 10:10 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Initially i was a little bit miffed at Liverpool snubbing the request, but then again, Luton are asking for money that isn't rightfully theirs. That money is Liverpool's, and Luton know that.

But then again, Roman Abramovich personally writes a cheque doubling the total gate receipts when Chelsea play minnows in the FA Cup, or at least he did in 2006 and 2007.

I'm with Martin on this one. It's a struggling small business asking a larger business for 'free' money.

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

6th Jan 2008 at 10:19 pm

VR kicks ass!

"Unwritten rules" do exist though, and LFC have most definitely broken one here.

True, football is a business and, to look at it from that angle, the fallout from all this could cost the club more than £100,000 in negative PR and such.

Does anyone remember the Sheffield United - Arsenal incident back in '98 or '99 (IIRC) where Sheff U put the ball out as one of their players was injured. They clearly expected to get the ball back from the resulting throw but, instead, Kanu gave it to Overmars who crossed it back to Kanu to score, all while the Blades players looked on incredulously. That was a clear case of foreigners failing to comply with an "unwritten rule" of English football and the negative PR ended up forcing Arsenal to replay the match, even though they won the original tie 2-1.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gillette and Hicks wind up eating a similar amount of humble pie after this debacle.  

EDIT: in response to Substance's post. You've got a fairly unrealistic view of the financial situation of Luton's players. True, some of them will be earning a decent wage but a lot of the younger/much older players will be earning very little indeed. Not to mention the fact that footballers generally have no qualifications and have to retire from the professional game at 35/36 at the latest, so need to make hay while the sun shines.

And anyway, you try not getting paid for 9 weeks' work and see how you feel at the end of it.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

8th Jan 2008 at 12:30 am

I'm not one for football, don't care for it, don't follow it, but this is as others have said a company asking one of it's larger competitors for money. It's not too different from Apple asking Microsoft for money because they're doing better. In a business sense it wouldn't happen. Yes it seems unfair, but that's business. One guy wins, the other guy loses.

As for bad press, I hardly doubt that's going to be an issue. It may cause tension and animosity towards Liverpool from other fans, but the Liverpool supporters are hardly going to stop supporting Liverpool for it. Football teams tend to attract very loyal customers and repeat business. In business terms, with regards to this market, very few customers will boycott there product of choice because of an ethical issue. Economically speaking the customer base for a football club is very loyal, and not much encourages a shift in support for a product.

It may not seem fair, but it's not illegal for Liverpool to say no. They've done nothing wrong, haven't cheated, and are looking after there own interests. Yes it is similar to not giving a homeless guy some change (albeit on a larger scale) but I very much doubt anyone gives money to every homeless guy they meet. Until it becomes law to always help those less fortunate there is nothing bad about this story. If Luton's finances are in a poor state then it has only itself to blame.
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

25th Jan 2008 at 12:14 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Quote: Lemony_Zester

I also don't like the fact that Liverpool have almost been blackmailed into this, ala the footballers donating their day's wages thingy that went on last year.  

This is all irrelevant anyway - by Liverpool being typically dreadful today, Luton have got a replay back at Anfield - and they'll get 15% of that gate...so Liverpool have done them a massive favour.

Also, Liverpool make friendly matches with Wrexham and Crewe Alexandra every season, but they do not keep any of the money at-all.

:-[
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page