Yet More Work Issues.....

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

25th Oct 2007 at 10:53 pm

VR kicks ass!

A lad I work with, who started out doing the same work as me, got promoted to new job, which wasn't advertised to anyone else in the building, within a week of starting work on the grounds that he complained about finding the work boring. As far as I can tell, his new job consists entirely of making posters and sending group e-mails all day and seems suspiciously like it's been made up to keep him happy. The guy spends all day talking to our boss and brownnosing, whilst blatantly slagging her off behind her back. This guy really is a sycophant, to the point where he sees her out of work, has pet names for her husband and mother, does errands for her, yet he unashamedly disses her behind her back at every available opportunity. Now he's got himself in with the boss and the other head honcho whose assistant he technically is, he's started criticizing other, more senior members of the team for their workrate. He's so tight with the managers that he's already had two people hauled in for a disciplinary hearing merely for questioning the need for some of the work he does or pointing out that he's out of order to tell people to work more.

Sounds like a d*ck, right?

Did I mention he happens to be gay?

The fact is the guy's not only gay, but camp as hell with it. I find his blatant twofacedness abhorrent in the extreme and I'm not alone in thinking that he's brownnosing his way to the top with a healthy does of positive discrimination. While I haven't been privy to these meetings, I'm fairly certain that both times he's complained about people, judging by the severity with which they were treated the word "homophobia" has been brought up, even though both incidents were the result of legitimate concerns. He seems willing to make formal complaints at the drop of a hat (something that most people would be embarassed to do), like he's had a lifetime's experience of playing the system.

My problem here is that I can't decide if I've got a legitimate concern about this individual or I'm simply a homophobe. I consider myself to be a liberal, tolerant almost to a fault. However, I have to admit that I did dislike this guy from the moment I met him. Quite simply, his personality and nature grate on me something chronic and, now I find myself questioning whether my concerns are motivated by a genuine sense of injustice or a more malevolent side of my personality that I've failed to acknowledge.

Thoughts, anyone?

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

25th Oct 2007 at 10:54 pm

VR kicks ass!

Quote: YaDunKnow
A lad I work with, who started out doing the same work as me, got promoted to new job, which wasn't advertised to anyone else in the building, within a week of starting work on the grounds that he complained about finding the work boring. As far as I can tell, his new job consists entirely of making posters and sending group e-mails all day and seems suspiciously like it's been made up to keep him happy. The guy spends all day talking to our boss and brownnosing, whilst blatantly slagging her off behind her back. This guy really is a sycophant, to the point where he sees her out of work, has pet names for her husband and mother, does errands for her, yet he unashamedly disses her behind her back at every available opportunity. Now he's got himself in with the boss and the other head honcho whose assistant he technically is, he's started criticizing other, more senior members of the team for their workrate. He's so tight with the managers that he's already had two people hauled in for a disciplinary hearing merely for questioning the need for some of the work he does or pointing out that he's out of order to tell people to work more.

Sounds like a d*ck, right?

Did I mention he happens to be gay?

The fact is the guy's not only gay, but camp as hell with it. I find his blatant twofacedness abhorrent in the extreme and I'm not alone in thinking that he's brownnosing his way to the top with a healthy dose of positive discrimination. While I haven't been privy to these meetings, I'm fairly certain that both times he's complained about people, judging by the severity with which they were treated the word "homophobia" has been brought up, even though both incidents were the result of legitimate concerns. He seems willing to make formal complaints at the drop of a hat (something that most peop[le woudl be embarassed to do), like he's had a lifetime's experience of playing the system.

My problem here is that I can't decide if I've got a legitimate concern about this individual or I'm simply a homophobe. I consider myself to be a liberal, tolerant almost to a fault. However, I have to admit that I did dislike this guy from the moment I met him. Quite simply, his personality and nature grate on me something chronic and, now I find myself questioning whether my concerns are motivated by a genuine sense of injustice or a more malevolent side of my personality that I've failed to acknowledge.

Thoughts, anyone?

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

25th Oct 2007 at 11:04 pm

there's a difference between hating an individual because they act irritatingly, and hating someone based on the fact that they're gay. If You hate someone because they annoy you it's not anti-PC, it's not offensive, and it's not a problem. If you hate him purely because he prefers to sleep with other men, then it's homophobia.

Same's true of all -ism's. If you hate a black man because he's a total prick, then you're hating a total prick. If however you hate all black men because you've stereotyped them all the same, then it's a prejudice.
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Oct 2007 at 11:13 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Your boss is a woman.
His job sounds remarkably like a P.A.

Consider it some watered down empowerment thing. Only with added fag-hag-ness.

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

25th Oct 2007 at 11:17 pm

VR kicks ass!

You're both probably right. I'm just a bit end-of-the-week cranky.

I've got to say that I like this rants board. Just writing this stuff down makes me realise how small and easily surmountable my problems actually are and cheers me right up.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

29th Oct 2007 at 6:28 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Homophobia and campness-hatitude are totally different things. There's nothing wrong with being gay.
But being so overly, screaming camp that everything is OMG, sooooo scandalous or whathaveyou (yes, I can't do a camp impression, I'm trying to mimic my mentor who cannot spell "pope"...but give that a limp wrist and the non-Will Will and Grace character's voice) deserves punishment. I may suggest being hanged, but being against capital punishment, even for campness, I vote with putting them in fashion that's 3 darned seasons out of date.

It's probably not homophobia- often people just clash for no good reason. Happens all the time with girls. Face it, you just can't get along with everyone

Two-facedness is a problem, but not quite as bad as the screaching campness. Do you know if others are getting sick of it?
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

29th Oct 2007 at 6:39 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Danger_Fourpence

But being so overly, screaming camp that everything is OMG, sooooo scandalous or whathaveyou

I hate these people, with a passion. Or at least everyone I've ever met who has behaved in a 'metrosexual' (God do I want to castrate myself for using that made up phrase) manner I have hated. I'm sure not all metrosexuals are evil and horrid people, just the ones I've met are. Most of the ones I've met aren't Gay so it's nothing to do with homophobia I assure you.

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

29th Oct 2007 at 10:34 pm

VR kicks ass!

Two-facedness is a problem, but not quite as bad as the screaching campness. Do you know if others are getting sick of it?

Yeah, two other people have discussed the issue of his blatant two-facedness with me personally, so it's not just me being paranoid or spitefull.

To be honest, getting this out in the open to a complete bunch of strangers with no hope of any comeback has helped me put things in perspective. He didn't annoy me half as much today as usual as I didn't feel so bad about the fact that he annoys the hell out of me.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

31st Oct 2007 at 3:54 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Quote: Clap_Your_Hands_Say_Bear

But being so overly, screaming camp that everything is OMG, sooooo scandalous or whathaveyou

I hate these people, with a passion. Or at least everyone I've ever met who has behaved in a 'metrosexual' (God do I want to castrate myself for using that made up phrase) manner I have hated. I'm sure not all metrosexuals are evil and horrid people, just the ones I've met are. Most of the ones I've met aren't Gay so it's nothing to do with homophobia I assure you.

Yep. There's nothing more untrustworthy than a straight man who acts like an ultra-sensitive, touchy-feely slimeball because he knows a depressingly high number of women are dumb enough to buy the whole act. Hello, Mickey off that Head and Shoulders advert.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page