Fox Hunting

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Phil

| 7,619 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:21 pm

Phil - Hippo Moderator of Heck!

Hippo Moderator of Heck!

Under the Christian religion, To kill is a sin, it makes no metion of humans. So, in a Christian country, which is what Britain is, shouldn't fox hunting be illegal.

(To use darrens term) DISCUSS
She's the kind of girl that leaves out condoms on the bedroom dresser
Just to make you jealous of the men she f*cked before you met her.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:28 pm

Animal -

ooooooh good topic

personally mi against it, ok it was started as a form of keep numbers of the fox population down and to stop them from troubling farms way back when but do we need to do that today? we have intesnive farming methods which for the most part cant be hindered by animals(a fox is more likely to go for a chicken or its eggs and since they are usually in "factory farms" these days they cant touch them)

to me the only reason they still do it is for fun, and tradition, but as this country frequently demonstrates tradition isnt the rule.

one thing they have to remember is a human is an animal same as everything else on this lanet, we have no more rights than any other animal and should not be able to take the life of another animal for sport, would they be pleased about being hunted themselves? i think not

actually heres a thought, i reckon someone should organise a fox hunters hunt wether its an actual event like a fox hunt is or some thing more subtle, such as a political hunt etc, once the hunters become the hunted then things might be seen with new eyes
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

uponthetelegram

| 0 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 1:00 pm

Fantastic idea! Blindfold some f*cking upperclass tw*t, kick him in the head, put him down a foxhole and unleach the hounds!

hikey

| 5,865 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 1:02 pm

its the semi automatic stun gun!!!!!!!!!!!! yeehaw

hmmmm and to add a little spice to this arguement culling foxes does nothing to limit numbers so it is a highly pointless thing to do
~also a beagle that is a hunting hound is usually put to sleep after about 3 or 4 years as it is retired off and is unsuitable for a pet because it is a pack animal ~ most hunting with dogs causes harm to the dogs also like lamping this is common in australia and the dogs faces get pretty mashed
domestic dogs cause more trouble to livestock than foxes.

shooting i believe is okay like game (edible)i can shoot but i dont kill animals but i think it is acceptable if you will eat it, i shoot clay pigeons
he aint all there he dont like beans!!!!!!!!!!!

Silvan

| 3,776 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 1:19 pm

Silvan - Aurals Velupide!

Aurals Velupide!

Hunting for food is one thing but hunting for fun and sport is another.

If they want to hunt for fun, why not drag hunting (I think that's what it's called) instead? For those who don't what that is it's where the dogs are sent after a bunch of rags which are sprayed with animal scent. They would have the 'thrill of the hunt' and the anti-hunting lot would be happy.

I'm against fox-hunting.
What can I say? I did it all for the Wookies.

secluded_rainbow

| 843 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 7:05 pm

I need a decent picture!!

Foxes dont need to be culled as the main cause of fox death is cars. 100'000 are killed on the road every year, so numbers are already being 'controlled' of sorts.
Hunts are hypocrites anyway as in some places they incourage foxes just so theres plenty to kill!
And I think that its silly that they use the excuse about the foxhounds unable to be rehomed, well I think if theyre so uncontrollable they never should have been bred in the first place!

Foxhunting is just a silly excuse to ponce around on horses while pretending to have some lame reason of your own importance.

Caged Liberty

| 11,209 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 7:47 pm

Caged Liberty - Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Quote: Silvan_
Hunting for food is one thing but hunting for fun and sport is another.

If they want to hunt for fun, why not drag hunting (I think that's what it's called) instead? For those who don't what that is it's where the dogs are sent after a bunch of rags which are sprayed with animal scent. They would have the 'thrill of the hunt' and the anti-hunting lot would be happy.

I'm against fox-hunting.

I agree with this.
The fun of the game for man is not worth the fear of the fox.
It's inhumane to make a game of it.

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

30th Sept 2002 at 12:21 pm

Someone said, I can't remember who, that is is a fact that, in areas where hunts are carried out, there are greater numbers of foxes.

With the hunts, only a few foxes are killed each time. If they use other methods to control the numbe of foxes (ie gas), the whole lot is wiped out.

I'm not really for or against the hunt. But why do animal numbers have to be controlled?

We'd complain if the foxes started running around controlling our numbers!

SRD

Animal

| 32,547 posts

30th Sept 2002 at 12:29 pm

Animal -

Quote: Satans_Rubber_Duck_
Someone said, I can't remember who, that is is a fact that, in areas where hunts are carried out, there are greater numbers of foxes.

With the hunts, only a few foxes are killed each time. If they use other methods to control the numbe of foxes (ie gas), the whole lot is wiped out.

I'm not really for or against the hunt. But why do animal numbers have to be controlled?

its for protection of farm livestock and such or it was at one point, now its to keep the population of "vermin" down and so a bunch of grown children can play at being great hunters from the days of old, i wouldnt mind it as much if they actually ate the meat of the animal(though id still veiw it as barbaric) but they kill it or severly injure it and then just leave it, any dogs that get hurt get put down instead of treated, besides which because they are reared to have an alomost feral pack psychology they cant be tamed to house pets(as someone already said) so get put down anyway
Quote:
We'd complain if the foxes started running around controlling our numbers!
i know this was meant in jest but its not a bad idea, each species has an optimum number for its population, which reflects how much food is in each area and the natural instincts of the animal, how territorial it is etc, as a species we dont follow these since we are "cultured" and "intelligent" and such, but to a degree i think a bit of random cullage wouldnt go amiss in our species, i think we should start with the hunters, chase them with feral wolf packs and such then we should move on to the majority of our worlds leaders(be it political or otherwise)

hmmm sorry i lost it there for a second

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

hikey

| 5,865 posts

30th Sept 2002 at 1:59 pm

we do cull.

example of human culling practises~

downsyndrome~ people with down syndrome are systematically REFUSED treatment for heart conditons which arise as a symptom of there condition this shortens life expetancy and pretty much f*cks up quality of life to a point.

people with major disabilities are often steralised by request of the parents to prevent "troublesome family situations later in the persons life"

these are all ways of limiting the weak links that supposedly threaten our breeeding stocks like with the nazis and the massive stereralising campaign that took place in 1920s american prisons and homeless hostels and in wartime sweden for example.

also the holocaust i guess pretty extreme buti reckon its the same views but~

but culling like actual killing (could not termination as better for everyone concerned when a child is going to be disabled be seen as culling but before birth?) well the holocaust definatley and any war intent on ethnic cleansing

also the government backed slaughter of homeless children in brazil like feral dogs (some cute ones get syphoned off for the sex industry though if they look young enough not to have caught anything yet)

chinas one child policy~ twins (usually the smaller or the girl accidently gets born still birth~ hmmmm usually registerd as so anyway)

the conspiracy theory that suggests governments allow terrorist attacks and murders to happen to make the public easier to lead in a hate movememnt against any given minority

okays so this is maybe far fetched but in subtle ways its there

hikey

| 5,865 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 1:03 pm

awww noone wants to arue with me about culling *BAWL*

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 1:30 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote:
chinas one child policy~ twins (usually the smaller or the girl accidently gets born still birth~ hmmmm usually registerd as so anyway)

That's just about the only way to do it. china has very few natural resources, and the ones it has aren't enough to support almost a 5th of the worlds population. that country is so overcrowded it's unbelieveable. which is better, have a policy of only one child per family, or have the population increase drastically, bringing the whole country down.

In the no to distant future, we won't need to bother with 'culling' the people theat are genetically inferior. with our knowledge of the human genome, we'll just make people 'better' through editing there genetic makeup.

There is a tradition involved in fox hunting, that people wish to keep. People are scared of change, and cling to tradition. It does control fox numbers, it's not the most effective way, but when the tradition started, it was the only way to do it. So you can't really blame the people who want to continue fox hunting, they are just scared of change.

Quote:

Of course they are going to hunt in areas where there are more foxes! they tend to congregate in areas where there is a plentiful supply of food, which is where the people want to remove them from. you have to ask, are there more foxes there because of the hunt. or is the hunt there because there are naturally more foxes?

hikey

| 5,865 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 1:51 pm

Quote: LoonyPandora_

That's just about the only way to do it. china has very few natural resources, and the ones it has aren't enough to support almost a 5th of the worlds population. that country is so overcrowded it's unbelieveable. which is better, have a policy of only one child per family, or have the population increase drastically, bringing the whole country down

hmmmmmm it is true that it is an option. why is china overcrowded? surely the country would be better off educating these ppl about birthcontrol and helping provide basic healthcare in rural areas and if you have been to china you will have noticed the huge gap between rich and poor where the majority of the ppl live in medievial conditions in cities there is a good chance there child will die anyway due to no sanitation poor nutrition the very conditions that encouraged large families in this country if china has an aging all male populaltion this too wil bring them down especially in a culture where ancestor worship has lead to reverance for the old meaning the young care for the old as part of the family unit if they are fewer young more money will be needed to care for these ppl it mightnt sound serious but it is quite possible that a aging chinese population among the poorer classes could do more damage than overcrowding which although is serious is usually dealth with by nature (as more children are born weakness becomes more apparent as with all animals new diseases and condititons develop to keep numbers down anyway i wont go into this though sorry) young poor working ppl as well as being a burden on the chinese economy are the very fuel of that economy an all male generation (almost) would lessen overcrowding within a decade but bloody hell the effects would be more far reaching than the government realises ~if england was so overcrowded could you suffocate a child of your own if a multiple birth occured? if you could not you could face a fine large enough that your child cannot eat if you cannot pay? prison~if prison your family is split up you are probably banished from your village on return assuming rural peasant life

its important to remeber that these overcrowded figures in statistiacl form are in human form PEOPLE im not saying that you are wrong infact you are right and it is possibly too late for a education program that is effective enough the best hope for china? mass national disaster war famine or disease. but across the population as a whole not just among the poorest ppl this of course is unlikely. it is culling though . whether its best i wouldnt like to say

hikey

| 5,865 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 1:58 pm

In the no to distant future, we won't need to bother with 'culling' the people theat are genetically inferior. with our knowledge of the human genome, we'll just make people 'better' through editing there genetic makeup.

hmmmm like with plants the more similar the gene the more likely to all bacome affected by disease like a crop of corn for example this scares me as its just to aaaaaaaaaaaa to me a uneducated foolish child it sounds like alarm bells and the words bloody foolish tw*ts spring to mind im just unable to understand i think but it seems like pure breeding which leads to genetic problems anyway so i really am lost now in this arguement

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 2:12 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

[quote]

hikey

| 5,865 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 2:16 pm

ooooo yes it will happen it is happening but its scary? who decides whats weak? how do they do this how will they go about it? will we all be given special medicine~will some ppl be destroyed will every person be made better i dunno its scary f*cking sh*t man i know full well i would be in the rejects bin and that doesnt appeal at all

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 2:20 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

[quote]if england was so overcrowded could you suffocate a child of your own if a multiple birth occured? if you could not you could face a fine large enough that your child cannot eat if you cannot pay? prison~if prison your family is split up you are probably banished from your village on return assuming rural peasant life

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 2:27 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: hikey_
ooooo yes it will happen it is happening but its scary? who decides whats weak? how do they do this how will they go about it? will we all be given special medicine~will some ppl be destroyed will every person be made better i dunno its scary f*cking sh*t man i know full well i would be in the rejects bin and that doesnt appeal at all

it's not that scary, the way it works, is not through banning people from reproducing, creating a two tier society like in many sci-fi stories. that would destroy genetic diversity, which would destory us. they need as many people as they can. they would edit your children before they are born, maybe even editing them before they are conceived. They couldn't create a load of blonde hair blue eyed people, that is bad for the race, and not particuarly desireable, instead they will build in immunity to diseases, like HIV. lower susceptablitiy to heart disease, improving the health of the race, while keeping just as much genetic diversity.

It's not that scary if you think it through.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 10:48 pm

Animal -

they will build in immunity to diseases

is this a wise thing though? if we are born with an immunity to most disease our immune systems will be required to function in a lesser way to what they have previously done, to me this would make us more suseptible to mutations of various diseases in the long run(and the mutations will come about, if not naturally then through our own meddling)

Cycling Antics

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 11:31 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote:
is this a wise thing though? if we are born with an immunity to most disease our immune systems will be required to function in a lesser way to what they have previously done, to me this would make us more suseptible to mutations of various diseases in the long run(and the mutations will come about, if not naturally then through our own meddling)

you build immunity to diseases by strengthening the immune system........ adding things to it, which make it more effective against disease........ it would function more by genetic enhancements. not less........

Animal

| 32,547 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 11:51 pm

Animal -

yes i agree but you missed what i was saying, if we are born immune to all illness then the immune system wont need to learn how to deal with a new illness, now if we can stop sickness through being born immune to any virus' etc that are about eventually through a process of evolution the immune system will gradually become weak in its abilities to learn how to deal with new virus' thus if a new type of virus broke out we'd be f*cked, though im getting into the realms of the scariest sci-fi stories right now so...

Cycling Antics

hikey

| 5,865 posts

7th Oct 2002 at 11:55 pm

oooooooo yea exactly what i was trying to say about with the corn but it sounds better coming from a clever person

scary stuff !!!!! but so damn true

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

8th Oct 2002 at 12:00 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote:
yes i agree but you missed what i was saying, if we are born immune to all KNOWN illness then the immune system wont need to learn how to deal with a new illness, now if we can stop sickness through being born immune to any virus' etc that are about eventually through a process of evolution the immune system will gradually become weak in its abilities to learn how to deal with new virus' thus if a new type of virus broke out we'd be fecked, though im getting into the realms of the scariest sci-fi stories right now so...

Evolution works on the principles that if something makes you better, it is passed on. however, it doesnt 'forget' things it doesnt need. look at the appendix, it's not used in our bodies, yet it stays there, if it doesnt harm us, it stays. Likewise the immune system cannot 'forget' how to deal with new viruses, since it is not doing any harm. plus, virii are muting all the time, theres a new strain of flu every year, it would be impossible to make a cure for every individual type, therefore, there would be some kind of 'base' that all the virii of a particular strain are based on, which the immune system can create it's own defence.

You don't replace the function of anything, you augment it. that's why it's good.

hikey

| 5,865 posts

8th Oct 2002 at 12:04 am

sorry augument? too tired to look it up? sorry

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page