| 32,547 posts

23rd Sept 2002 at 9:47 am

Animal -

Bush plans first strike against any foreign foe

By PAUL KNOX
With reports from Shawn McCarthy in Ottawa AP
Saturday, September 21, 2002
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

23rd Sept 2002 at 9:48 am

Animal -

Quote:
The United States has hit targets in Libya and Sudan, saying they were linked to terrorism, and using a combination of retaliation and pre-emption as justification.

Mr. Bush told Americans in June they should prepare for pre-emptive action "when necessary," and the new document broadens his arguments for it. "The impulse isn't new, but the willingness to state it bluntly is," said David Welch, a professor of political science at the University of Toronto.

Talk of a pre-emptive strike against Iraq has awakened fears that others would use it as a pretext for unilateral action.

Russia has threatened to attack Chechen rebel camps in neighbouring Georgia, saying it must combat terrorism. French President Jacques Chirac said recently that China might cite a U.S. strike as a precedent in support of an attack on Taiwan.

Apparently seeking to meet such objections, the Bush document says: "The United States will not use force in all cases to pre-empt emerging threats, nor should nations use pre-emption as a pretext for aggression."

article source from Globe and mail online

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

23rd Sept 2002 at 9:55 am

Animal -

Does anyone want to get in line behind me for sniper rifles bush's where about fors the netx 6 months and a ticket to the US?

i mean come on, its been said on here in the past history tends to repeat itself(and its pretty apparent at times that it does)but usually the cycle of repitition is a few hundred years not 50 or so, after reading this i come to the conclusion that bush is no better than hitler was

the line

Quote:
"The aim of this strategy is to help make the world not just safer but better,"
seems a little all too remniscant of a certain germans thinking, remember his plan to create a master race thus making the world better through genetic superiority? i think bush is going for something similar but upto now the only thing he is gunning for right now is muslims, hmmm can you say zealot? actually i remember hearing that there is an optimum population for all life on the planet, methinks bush is part of that school of thought and intends to cull us as a species in order for us to reach the optimum human population.

bush needs to be stopped, he is in charge of the worlds most powerful and well equipped military force and is to me at least showing signs of increasing madness, what he plans shows a potentially bleak future for us all, some of the issues brought up in this article, i cant even begin to form an opinion on.

i leave you with this one thought

im very scared. (and i think anyone who isnt really needs to take a reality check)

Edited by Animal Sept 2002

Cycling Antics

Caged Liberty

| 11,209 posts

23rd Sept 2002 at 4:04 pm

Caged Liberty - Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Well my friends, I for one am not only saddened but terrified to live in a world like this.
I'm not often scared, far from it in fact, but the power that George Bush holds in his hands this moment, and what he intends to do with it is a devastating thought.
What can we do?
Can we do anything?
Can we sit and watch the world around us fall apart?
Would anyone listen anyway?
There are many questions without answers.
Perhaps the most awe inspiring aspect of this whole issue is that Bush really doen't have a proper reson for attack, he simply wants to retain America's status as the most powerful country in the world.
Yes, something is a little reminiscent of Hitler here.
We, as British citizens, of course are involved. Can we trust Tony Blair to do the right thing by this country and the opinion of the people, or are we once again being dragged in as America's lapdogs? Isn't that clear?
I forsee many many tears.

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 8:51 pm

Quote: Johnny_Truant_
i mean come on, its been said on here in the past history tends to repeat itself(and its pretty apparent at times that it does)but usually the cycle of repitition is a few hundred years not 50 or so, after reading this i come to the conclusion that bush is no better than hitler was

The difference between Hitler and Bush is that Hitler was intelligent. He may have been vastly wrong (from most people's point of veiw), but he was great.

To quote Harry Potter:Quote:
He was a great man. He did great things, terrible things, but still great.
Of course, I'm not condoning what he did, but he did it well nonetheless. Unlike Bush.

SRD

Been training dogs

| 4,685 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:03 pm

Quote: Ms_Caged_Liberty_
Well my friends, I for one am not only saddened but terrified to live in a world like this.
I'm not often scared, far from it in fact, but the power that George Bush holds in his hands this moment, and what he intends to do with it is a devastating thought.
What can we do?
Can we do anything?
Can we sit and watch the world around us fall apart?
Would anyone listen anyway?
There are many questions without answers.
Perhaps the most awe inspiring aspect of this whole issue is that Bush really doen't have a proper reson for attack, he simply wants to retain America's status as the most powerful country in the world.
Yes, something is a little reminiscent of Hitler here.
We, as British citizens, of course are involved. Can we trust Tony Blair to do the right thing by this country and the opinion of the people, or are we once again being dragged in as America's lapdogs? Isn't that clear?
I forsee many many tears.

Very poetic.

We can do nothing. Our voice counts for nothing. George Bush is not like Hitler - Hitler did some good for his country, and his hatred of a minority group came from his own poverty as a student.

The end.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

http://www.cco.net/~jpete/deepthou.htm

Caged Liberty

| 11,209 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:09 pm

Can we do anything - the answer for the forseeable future is no, I agree, just to make my standpoint clear.

Hence my 'losing hope' series of questions with obvious answers.

Been training dogs

| 4,685 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:18 pm

I feel the other side should be represented here.

Fair enough, the war on iraq is unneccesary, but would you prefer full blown nuclear war in which thousands upon millions of innocent citizens are killed, or a short military strike in which (relatively) few people are killed?

If Saddam Hussein does have nuclear weapons, or the capabilities for them, I would prefer him not to have them. With his current views on america, the world is safer with either america or iraq disarmed.

I'm not condoning George Bush. I'm not saying he's any better than Saddam Hussein, or there's any difference between the dangers of their nuclear capabilities. I'm just trying to see a different side of the events.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

Caged Liberty

| 11,209 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:27 pm

|What i detest is when people take sides over a matter like this.

As we were discussing the other day Alyssa, I agree with you.

No one side should be condemned here and there are many different viewpoints.

I don't think Bush is right in saying he wanted to retain America's position in the world, that is irrelevant in my eyes and not a cause for war. However, I don't agree with the fact that Hussein has such weapons at his disposal.

But what is new? Hasn't this been happening for years?
What is new is Bush.
And Blair's dossier had little new information in it.
Sometimes it's hard to know which way to turn.
Oh, how I wish I lived in Germany sometimes.
These are just random thoughts but I really don't know what to think at the moment.

Been training dogs

| 4,685 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:37 pm

Sorry if I came across as taking sides. I'm dead against any war. Every time I think of iraq, i remember the quote "World war four will be fought with bows and arrows" and it scares the sh*t out of me.

I'd just prefer a short military strike with limited casualties to the extinction of millions of people. If I had my way, all weapons of mass destruction would be destroyed and america split up into at least four seperate countries.
But I'm not going to get my way so I will support the least harmful alternative.

Been training dogs

| 4,685 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:40 pm

And here comes my countering of my own arguement.

In fifteen years time, will a boy whos parents were killed in the attacks on Iraq thank george bush for "liberating" him, or will he be taking up arms to fight america?

If george bush had killed my parents, i'll openly admit that I would not hesitate to take a plane and crash it so far up his a*s, even tony blair's tongue wouldn't be able to reach it.

Phil

| 7,619 posts

27th Sept 2002 at 9:59 pm

Phil - Hippo Moderator of Heck!

Hippo Moderator of Heck!

When I think of Iraq, I think of the mirror advert.

Secondly, George W. Bush is doing nothing, except doing what daddy tells him. He's there to finsh off Bush Snr, and the Republican party's work.
She's the kind of girl that leaves out condoms on the bedroom dresser
Just to make you jealous of the men she f*cked before you met her.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:12 am

Animal -

Quote: Satans_Rubber_Duck_

The difference between Hitler and Bush is that Hitler was intelligent. He may have been vastly wrong (from most people's point of veiw), but he was great.

To quote Harry Potter:
Of course, I'm not condoning what he did, but he did it well nonetheless. Unlike Bush.

SRD

i agree, i was comparing him to hitler for his seeming plans for world domination what looks like(from bushes own mouth) the creation of a new world order, its quite easy to come to this conclusion when he comes out with lines like

"The aim of this strategy is to help make the world not just safer but better,"

i mean come on, he declares war with the aim of making the world a better place? over the whole of his presidency bush has aimed any military strikes(please note the ones made inside a war dont count for this arguement) at the muslim community(the us is welll known to have being flying bombing raids over iraq etc since the ninties till the present day)

but yeah i agree with what you said, and add that Hitler was no-ones lap dog(but he wasnt as intelligent as some ppl think-he lost the war in part due to bad strategies he enacted-like fighting over three fronts at once)

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:18 am

Animal -

Quote: Johnny_Klatchian_
I feel the other side should be represented here.

Fair enough, the war on iraq is unneccesary, but would you prefer full blown nuclear war in which thousands upon millions of innocent citizens are killed, or a short military strike in which (relatively) few people are killed?

If Saddam Hussein does have nuclear weapons, or the capabilities for them, I would prefer him not to have them. With his current views on america, the world is safer with either america or iraq disarmed.

I'm not condoning George Bush. I'm not saying he's any better than Saddam Hussein, or there's any difference between the dangers of their nuclear capabilities. I'm just trying to see a different side of the events.

i agree we need to look at thsi from both sides, but do you believe tha iraq has these weapons? im in a lot of doubt, the dosier we have been told about to the best of my knowledge contains pictoral eidence of nuclear/chemical eweapons launch sites, but yet i dont think we have been shown irrefutable evidence that these are either A recent or B taken of Iraq installations

also you have to remember that the US has ben sending bombing runs over the area since the gulf, how could Iraq have built such facilities under these conditions? any money they had would have had to have gone into essential repairs(though i doubt any did for a second) plus the installations would have been hit as soon as they manifested if they were being built(its quite easy to tell a missile launch site from the air during its building)

but i do agree, IF(and that is a HUGE if) iraq does have these weapons as bush and blair claim then by all means send in a few military companies to take them out

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:25 am

Animal -

Sorry if I came across as taking sides. I'm dead against any war. Every time I think of iraq, i remember the quote "World war four will be fought with bows and arrows" and it scares the sh*t out of me.
damn fine quote(where is it from btw?), and no you wernt taking sides, as you said you were pointing out that the situation needs to be seen in a verty objective light

Quote:
I'd just prefer a short military strike with limited casualties to the extinction of millions of people. If I had my way, all weapons of mass destruction would be destroyed and america split up into at least four seperate countries.
But I'm not going to get my way so I will support the least harmful alternative.

wouldnt we all, i wish i could say it would happen like that, thing is it wont they will have to send as much as possible in both vehical and troop wise, and like the gulf it will go on and on, then there will be a post war ressesion of a sorts(if its as big as i expect it to be there will be) fuel prices will skyrocket for the forseeable futere(currently we are sourcing oil etc from outside the middle east but we can only do that for so long-plus it costs more too)

and yes america shouldnt have the power it dos, no one should..i was told a while ago by a very arrogant(but sadly also very right) american that n ocountry in the world could last out going toe to toe with the US, regardless of whos troops were better trained etc, he was right, hardware and for the size of the forces at their disposal no one can touch the US

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:26 am

Animal -

And here comes my countering of my own arguement.

In fifteen years time, will a boy whos parents were killed in the attacks on Iraq thank george bush for "liberating" him, or will he be taking up arms to fight america?

If george bush had killed my parents, i'll openly admit that I would not hesitate to take a plane and crash it so far up his a*s, even tony blair's tongue wouldn't be able to reach it.

*nods*

and that (as im sure you know) is pretty much why september the 11th happened

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Sept 2002 at 12:28 am

Animal -

Quote: lawfulhippo_
When I think of Iraq, I think of the mirror advert.
the mirror advert?

enlighten me, firstly what is the advert, secondly(telling me the advert wll make it apperent im sure) why?

Quote:
Secondly, George W. Bush is doing nothing, except doing what daddy tells him. He's there to finsh off Bush Snr, and the Republican party's work.

agreed, remember the stuff i said about the oil line they were supposed to be laying etc?

Cycling Antics

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page