New Stuff, and a Look Back.

Posted In: News. Reading This Thread:

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

13th Aug 2006 at 9:52 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

You may have noticed some new stuff here on VR since your last visit…

Perhaps biggest thing to happen is the inclusion of all the posts from VR 1.0 on Yahoo Groups. That's over 100,000 messages that have been converted and uploaded for your viewing pleasure. On a similar note, the entire Megazine Letters group has been uploaded and added to our existing archive of letters. The inclusion of these posts takes us over half a million posts!.

We have acheived this in a little over 5 years. VR on Yahoo was started March 13th 2001 by the very cool Broccoli The Evil One (aka Fee). The group quickly grew and became the biggest group in the 'weirdos' category on Yahoo, a distinction we still hold. After a year of intense posting it became clear that Yahoo was unreliable and unsuited to such a large movement. I took over the technical side of things, and created the http://webplus.pandora.abelgratis.com/]beginnings of the current VR[/url] on my own personal webspace. After another year we realised that we had to expand again. We became VR.com on Christmas Day 2002.. Since that time we have expanded bit by bit, added a photo gallery here, a shoutbox there, and we have grown and grown as a community.

It's a great acheivement, VR has changed so many lives and I'm sure it will continue to do so. Here's hoping we hit a million before 2011 .

You may also have noticed there has been a bit of a changeround on the forum. We think the new arrangement better fits the current generation of VRers. I have also archived off a lot of old posts (pre August 2003) into an archive board. This keeps the forum speedy and relevant.

I've also added a few more colour schemes and cleaned up the existing ones a little. Expect more schemes to be added over the course of today.

Finally, you may have noticed this spiffy new front page. Since we upgraded VR a few months ago we have been without a front page, well it's back - and better than before. Welcome the return of the recent posts box, MIA for at least a year. It also conforms to the colour scheme you specifiy in your profile.

The problem we had with the front page before was that I never had anything interesting to write! Since we have so many talented writers on here, I thought it would be a good idea to open the front page up to people who actually have talent. As of now, every member has the ability to post to the front page. When you post, it will go into a queue to be moderated - if the mods think that your post is worthwhile, then it will be approved for the front page. Otherwise it will be moved to an appropriate board. Eventually we hope to set up a crack team of talented writers that can help mod this board. The new front page has replaced all exisiting personal columns, I hope the authors of said columns will become contributors to the front page. I've moved a few posts from the columns to the front page to give an idea of how it all looks.

If you have talent and want the exposure of being on the front page, give it a shot. You'll be helping yourself get exposure and you'll help keep VR fresh.

As always, if you have any questions, comments or criticisms feel free to post them in this thread.

Edited by LoonyPandora Sept 2006

Insane Jam Sow

| 443 posts

13th Aug 2006 at 4:33 pm

Insane Jam Sow - Bill Bryson is my God

Bill Bryson is my God

I don't know if you want some annoying person pointing out grammar, but on board descriptions for the old VR section you have an "it's" that needs to be an "its".

Also, maybe a couple of capital Ms on the descriptions for the Megazine boards?

Sorry, I guess this is really petty. I think the changes are great, though!
http://www.freewebs.com/megazine

Yes, my website still exists. Just about.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

13th Aug 2006 at 5:38 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I don't see the "it's"?

But I've added the capitals to the Megazine boards. Don't worry about being petty, if its a problem, its a problem

Colin

| 10,038 posts

13th Aug 2006 at 6:57 pm

Colin -

Does anyone know why my Ten Most Recent Posts shows stuff from 2001?
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

13th Aug 2006 at 8:30 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Colin

Technical explanation is that posts from 2001 have a timestamp that is 9 digits long. These come before posts with a timestamp of 10 digits because of the way I was sorting them into the correct order.

I've changed the sorting method now, and it works as expected

And I've got rid of the errant it's

Edited by LoonyPandora Aug 2006

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 2:53 am

Jewbacca -

Quote: Colin

like the new changes. must have taken ages though!
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 9:14 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i tried to look at the Mega-zine Letters link, but i got Access Denied.

Edited by Rayanne Graff Mar 2008
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 9:35 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Forever_Falling_Asleep
Quote: Mistress_Jen
is there anyway that we can search for our posts from the old vr? Great job BTW.

You got to actually go onto the old VR for photos... they've not been put on here...

Just use the normal search, but only specify the old VR boards, and put your username in the members field - screenshot below. There is no way to show all your old posts, it would overload the site!

Quote:
I tried to look at the Mega-zine Letters link, but I got Access Denied.

You mean: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megazineletters/ - Where are you accessing it from? It is probably on a list of blocked sites if you are accessing from a public computer, I don't have control of yahoo groups

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 10:15 am

River Phoenix

I'm accessing from a library computer. It's a pity I can't look, but it's not your fault. It's the same with Ian's site. I can't look at that either, but at least I've seen it once.

Insane Jam Sow

| 443 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 11:39 am

Insane Jam Sow - Bill Bryson is my God

Bill Bryson is my God

Not sure if it's any help, but you can get at my site via http://www.freewebs.com/megazine/ (as opposed to zap.to/megazine, which is just a redirect).
http://www.freewebs.com/megazine

Yes, my website still exists. Just about.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 11:43 am

River Phoenix

Thanks. I just tried it. It did
Access Denied.

Wibble

| 5,323 posts

14th Aug 2006 at 7:39 pm

scapegoat extraordinaire

Wow! Andy, you've done a truly fabulous job. Thankyou.

Snowflake

| 11,898 posts

15th Aug 2006 at 6:44 pm

Snowflake - Lady Lobschter

Lady Lobschter

Oooh violet!!

Excellent work Mr Andy
self-confessed spamaholic

about as useful as trying to put the pin back in the grenade

Me and Matt - King and Queen lobster spam team!!

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

16th Aug 2006 at 2:21 am

It looks really good..it's taking me a bit of time to get used to the topics all being mixed into together, but that's fine. Well done Andy, and also to Emma.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Aug 2006 at 7:49 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Sure, those posts never went anywhere - they were just moved into the convo board / spam board as appropriate. So they will be in there somewhere

| 3,142 posts

17th Aug 2006 at 4:14 pm

you say you want people to possibly contribute , but what woule you like people to try and avoid posting.

do you want just "newsworthy" writing's or can people post creative or funny works , or dayly / weekly things. Say like four part specials on a subject, or weekly funnies (comics/jokes)

This way it'll lesson the amount of work on the moderation side if less people try to post if they know its innapropreate....
Im gone , and you can bite me. cockbite's

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

17th Aug 2006 at 9:02 pm

[quote=im just sitting in my car and waiting link=1155462731/15#22 date=1155831258]you say you want people to possibly contribute , but what woule you like people to try and avoid posting.  

do you want just "newsworthy" writing's or can people post creative or funny works , or dayly / weekly things.  Say like four part specials on a subject, or weekly funnies (comics/jokes)

This way it'll lesson the amount of work on the moderation side if less people try to post if they know its innapropreate....[/quote]

Stop being stupid and asking stupid questions Rob.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

17th Aug 2006 at 11:10 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

It's not 'possibly' contribute, people should just do it

And it's one of these things we'll just have to see how it goes. The most important thing is that the front page gets updated regularly.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

26th Aug 2006 at 1:29 am

Jewbacca -

Has the polls board been scrapped? Maybe Im just too tired to find it.

Doesnt seem to be used as much nowadays, anyway. Just curious.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

29th Aug 2006 at 12:01 am

Jewbacca -

I assume the old polls were archived? I made quite a few...

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page