You must be (Instru)Mental!

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 7:26 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Following on from several threads lately, what instruments do you play, or want to play?

I bought a guitar several years ago, just a cheap acoustic one. Messed around with it for a while, but the final year of college hit and the guitar got thrown into the back of the wardrobe. Should have taken it back out in the months I was unemployed, but never crossed my mind.

Now, where I'm currently living, picking up the acoustic again regularly is pretty much a no-go due to noise. So my current thinking is to get an electric guitar, and if it's possible (because I know very little about this sort of thing), use headphones while learning to play it which means no noise.

Now Doc said it's best to learn acoustic first, to ease the transition between the two. But I just don't see that as a possibility yet. So next thing is, to get an electric guitar. Due to money (and the fact that learning to play guitar must come second to trying to lose weight), I'm probably just going to get a cheapo one. But this is all hypothetical for now. Probably be another 2 months before any of this comes to fruition.

Also, at some point, I'd love to learn the harmonica.

What about all of ye? I know a lot of you play instruments. What do you play? What would you like to play?
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 7:40 pm

Delirium Tremens -

I can play the guitar and tin whistle to a mediocre level. I'd like to learn the banjo and piano and get better at all the rest.

Edited by Delirium Tremens Oct 2010

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 7:49 pm

I aim to misbehave

Also, at one point, I think I could play this. I went to band classes for a while (This one time, at band camp, I met Alyson Hannigan and we had sax). Barely remember anything from back then though, and was never good at it. Nor liked it really.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 7:54 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Rick James, B*tch, Oct 2010
Also, at one point, I think I could play this. I went to band classes for a while (This one time, at band camp, I met Alyson Hannigan and we had sax). Barely remember anything from back then though, and was never good at it. Nor liked it really.

What should I do if I miss a call from a friend?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 7:58 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: John Cale, Oct 2010

What should I do if I miss a call from a friend?

Eutextum

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 8:59 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Former bass player, but looking at getting back in to it via a cheap acoustic that I can leave at work and play on when it's quiet.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

3rd Oct 2010 at 10:16 pm

I own a guitar (two, in fact), but to be honest I can't actually remember when the last time I picked it up was. Played loads back at sixth form and the first couple years of uni. I still call myself a guitarist if any musos are around, though.

Back at school I had lessons in pretty much everything going, violin and saxophone were the two longer-running ones.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

4th Oct 2010 at 7:43 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Darren, Oct 2010

Now, where I'm currently living, picking up the acoustic again regularly is pretty much a no-go due to noise. So my current thinking is to get an electric guitar, and if it's possible (because I know very little about this sort of thing), use headphones while learning to play it which means no noise.
Unless your walls are quite literally made of paper the noise levels from an acoustic shouldn't cause anyone in your building any form of undue stress, they are pretty quiet unless amplified somehow.

You'd be surprised. Its not the walls, it's the floors. It's a really old building (protected structure) which was coverted into apartments, so there's frig all soundproofing in the floors. Every day around half 7 or so I can hear the guy upstairs singing. Don't know what he's singing because I'm not even sure its in english (never met the guy)

Might take the acousti and mess about with it at weekends or something though

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

4th Oct 2010 at 9:47 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Paula, Oct 2010

You'd be surprised. Its not the walls, it's the floors. It's a really old building

This is also true of my place. I had a hell of a time trying to record some vocals here last year, I was picking up people have rows and everything

If it wasn't for a specifically peaceful track, I'd find that quite a cool detail on an album.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page