The Social Network

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 2:37 pm

Delirium Tremens -

The best part of the trailer for that film is the choral Creep. The rest of it looks like a bad John Grisham film where people keep saying "facebook".

wombat

| 8,154 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 3:06 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I think it's just film writers getting lazy.

'Got to write a film today, but what about...

I know, I'll go on the internet to get some inspiration.

Whilst I'm online, I may as well check my Facebook.

Facebook

... wait!'

*lightbulb moment*
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 3:33 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Gordon Cole, Sept 2010
I mean, yeah, almost everyone I've spoken to about it has scoffed at it and laughed. But it's directed by David Fincher, written by Aaron Sorkin and filled with a solid looking ensemble cast. The reviews for it so far have been overwhelmingly positive.

So I feel justified in being legitimately excited to see it.

I just feel that it's an extremely uninspiring story. Ivy league kid becomes more popular, argues about copywright ownership, gets rich at the cost of his friends as he becomes more ruthless. And I have to hear people say the word "Facebook" out loud, which is something I'm inexplicably repelled by. The clips in the trailer that aren't the Radiohead cover make the film seem very unappetizing.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 3:49 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Gordon Cole, Sept 2010

For example I have literally ZERO interest in listening to the soundtrack outside of its placement in the film.

I don't want to hear that song anywhere else either, but it works great there.

Quote:
The first trailer for the Coen brothers remake of True Grit starring Jeff Bridges is out, that looks great.

The new True Grit is shaping up to be a classic. It confounds me how often the Coens can hit gold-dirt. I don't think they've ever made a worthless film.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 3:55 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I prefer the look of this one

Southern hemispherical rat boy

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 3:57 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

My problem with the film isn't the subject matter, the fact that people will be saying facebook out loud or anything like that. My problem is the lead role, Jesse Eisenberg or whatever he's called. He's just so god damn boring. Even in Zombieland, he was boring. He's just..... boring. Fincher and Sorkin make me want to see it. He doesn't.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 4:10 pm

Delirium Tremens -

My mind always erases him and puts Michael Cera in his place. I don't know if it's improvement or not.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

30th Sept 2010 at 10:29 pm

Delirium Tremens -

God, I wrote a really nice, long thoughtful reply that VR just ate. B*ll*cks.

In short - I like strutting round the city to Ennio Morricone, Bernard Hermann, Elmer Bernstein, John Barry and Nino Rota soundtracks.

On a tangent away from what you're talking about, I also have time for the "Look how cool my record collection is" Tarantino style OST.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

1st Oct 2010 at 10:26 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Darren, Oct 2010
Quote:
In short - I like strutting round the city to Ennio Morricone, Bernard Hermann, Elmer Bernstein, John Barry and Nino Rota soundtracks.

Good man, what think you to Vangelis' stuff?

From the little I've heard he's not really in my wheelhouse. I think Blade Runner would have been better with a more timeless score - I find his work quite overpowering and now in a good way. Chariots of Fire is an objectively powerful piece, but it's too ubiquitous to mean anything to me any more. I think it's been parodied into uselessness.

Billy May's very groovy.

Edited by Delirium Tremens Oct 2010

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

6th Oct 2010 at 2:52 pm

Delirium Tremens -

With the increasingly superlative reviews racking up and the talent behind the camera, I'm going to have to move my distaste and lack of interest for this film into the file marked "unjustifiably irrational. "

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page