Who was better, The Beatles or The Beach Boys?

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Who was better, The Beatles or The Beach Boys?

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:08 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Discuss. Or rather, vote.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:16 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i voted for The Beatles. But i s'pose i'm biased.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:17 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

A couple of songs, just because.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:17 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I've just realised that I don't actually have any Beatles in my vast iTunes library...

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:43 pm

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

You know the way one band breaks through with a unique sound and feel and then other record companies sign up and promote their own versions of them?

I always got that impression that the Beach Boys were put out as "The American Beatles"

Vel

| 23,203 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:51 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: LoonyPandora, Apr 2010
Discuss. Or rather, vote.

What are you, Sammy Tsang?

I only really like The Beatles' stuff when they were on drugs. Psychedelia

But George will know why I loathe one particular Beach Boys song. Oh yes.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:57 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Bob Flapper, Apr 2010

You know the way one band breaks through with a unique sound and feel and then other record companies sign up and promote their own versions of them?

I always got that impression that the Beach Boys were put out as "The American Beatles"

The Beach Boys were first, kinda.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 8:58 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Brian Wilson had been writing songs since the late 1950s. The Beach Boys' records were more influenced by Phil Spector than Sgt. Pepper. They didn't have a similar sound until Pet Sounds.

The Beatles and the Beach Boys had similiar influences, almost solely American, like Chuck Berry style rhythm 'n' blues and girl groups like the The Chiffons. I like their melodies equally, but neither of their lyrics really say anything about my life.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

10th Apr 2010 at 11:34 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

'God Only Knows' might be the greatest pop song ever written, but for consistently high class and, at the time inventive, output that has had the influence over most things written since, it has to be The Beatles.

It's a simplistic way to look at it, but I didn't want to just write, "The Beatles" and leave it at that.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

11th Apr 2010 at 12:43 pm

the doc -

I always upset Dan when I talk about the Beach Boys and everyone knows my opinion on the Beatles so I'm gonna abstain on this one

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

11th Apr 2010 at 1:20 pm

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

Quote: LoonyPandora, Apr 2010

The Beach Boys were first, kinda.

Quote: Albert Johanneson, Apr 2010
'God Only Knows' might be the greatest pop song ever written, but for consistently high class and, at the time inventive, output that has had the influence over most things written since, it has to be The Beatles.

It's a simplistic way to look at it, but I didn't want to just write, "The Beatles" and leave it at that.

Yarp, good points and ones that I be knowing of, thought it could be argued that they didn't start evolving into the band they became untill after 64/65 when Beatlemania started in the States. Regardless, I don't think I made my point well. I didn't mean that Brian Wilson & c.o. were plucked up and signed after "She Loves you" became massive. No siree!

I mean that in terms of the Beach Boys success, it coincided greatly with The Beatles rise and they just seem to me to be one of these groups who made their moneys trailing in the Beatles slipstream. A lot of the Beach Boys successes were pitted against the Beatles in the media and drew 1)unfair comparison and 2)much more publicity/success/acclaim. I think Wilson (or some biographer whose take on Wilson i read once) said he was driven to breakdown trying to surpass Revolver (Or Sgt Peppers? can't remember which).

Whilst The Beach Boys made some cracking songs I personally think they wouldn't be half as acclaimed if they weren't kicked about as "America's answer to the Beatles" by Capitol records in their PR at the time, or by music reviewers then and since.

Anyway, Beatles for me. The Who kicks both their arses though

Animal

| 32,547 posts

11th Apr 2010 at 1:24 pm

Animal -

The Beatles bore me. I only really like the more psychedelic material they wrote. The earlier stuff is very reminiscent of every other Liverpool band of the era for me. The Beachboys however brought multipart harmonies into their earlier music before going experimental, something I've always loved them for. They also sound more optimistic to me than the Beatles do.

Part of my opinion is due to the fact I used to do Beatles covers many a moon ago, so have developed a deep hatred for the overall blandness of the early material.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

11th Apr 2010 at 2:46 pm

Carpet Remnant -

I really like The Beatles but I don't know nearly enough about the beach boys to state an opinion. The more I hear about the beach boys the more I want to start exploring their music. Though like Alice I do detest one particular track...

Voted for The Beatles just so I could see the results, so subtract 1 from The Beatles vote as it represents an uninformed opinion

Vel

| 23,203 posts

11th Apr 2010 at 3:36 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Will you fix it so that we can see who voted what, please?
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

13th Apr 2010 at 10:26 am

I Cunt Spell -

Probably one of the best live performances of anything ever. (Apart from having to look at Yoko Ono's horrible corpse face.)

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

13th Apr 2010 at 10:31 am

I Cunt Spell -

Quote: Lady Heather, Apr 2010

But George will know why I loathe one particular Beach Boys song. Oh yes.

Is it Good Vibrations?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

13th Apr 2010 at 4:33 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Rufio, Apr 2010
I really like The Beatles but I don't know nearly enough about the beach boys to state an opinion. The more I hear about the beach boys the more I want to start exploring their music. Though like Alice I do detest one particular track...

Voted for The Beatles just so I could see the results, so subtract 1 from The Beatles vote as it represents an uninformed opinion

Tell you what, I'll vote for Beach Boys to even things out, because I honestly couldn't give a f*ck
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page