Guitarists

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

23rd Jul 2004 at 3:27 pm

And Then My Mind Split Open... - mischievous kids cuss

mischievous kids cuss

Who plays guitar here? What kind of stuff do you play? Are in a band? What other guitarists inspire you? Who is the best guitarist ever? Tabs or chords? Acoustic or electric? Single pick-ups of humbuckers? Give us some tips? Share your knowledge.

This is a thread for anyone that plays guitar.
They imitate but I teach

23rd Jul 2004 at 3:39 pm

mischievous kids cuss

Me? I've been playing guitar for 9-10 months now. I'm finally getting the hang of it, in terms of my fingers being able to switch between chords fast, and I'm getting much better at pull-offs and slides and hammer-ons and bending notes. Still need a lot of practice though... I'm still nowhere nearer to being able to play 'Ball and Biscuit'...

I mostly learn songs by these bands: The White Stripes (cannon and expecting are particular favourites), The Rapture (although find Rapture tabs is bloody hard), the odd Metallica riff, the odd AC/DC riff (Back in Black! you damn right) and random other songs that appeal to me...
They imitate but I teach

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 3:48 pm

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

I've been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years. I struggled for the first year but you always get better. At first the chords were killer and I couldn't barre to save my life but know that's fine, and I know how to construct chords from majors to diminished 7's. That sounds far more impressive than it actually is.

I've been in one decent band as a bassist whilst i got better at guitar, but now I'm trying to form my own band. I always wanted to play guitar but I don't know which guitarist it was that made me love the sound of the instrument. Possibly Noel Gallagher as Oasis was all i listened to when I was about 9.

My favourite guitarist is most definitely Gary Moore. They guy eas amazing in Thin Lizzy and even more brilliant as a blues solo artist (listen to Parissene walkways).

Coincidentally, at the moment I'm saving up for either a Fender Strat or Telecaster.

The best tip i can offer is to work on your hammer ons and pull offs for guitar solos, learn the notes of the guitar so you know what you're playing and the old cliche of keep practicing

Silvan

| 3,776 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 4:57 pm

Silvan - Aurals Velupide!

Aurals Velupide!

I've been learning guitar for about a year now, started it due to my bassist boyfriend wanting someone to jam with - although we're not particulary good at getting in the habit of jamming regularly, he's been playing for probably about 2 and a half years now, maybe more.

I had a helluva time with the hammer-ons and pull-offs at first but with practise I'm a lot better with those, I can actually get them out at an even volume now. Barre chords I still need to work on along with learning the notes of the fretboard and dampening, I keep shredding the skin of my little finger. Like Chris said, you just have to keep practising.

I don't play any particular songs, apart from a few Prodigy riffs now and again, I'm much more interested in learning techniques and pretty much whatever else will help me in the long run. Although I can play House Of The Rising Sun and a slowed down bit of Metallica's Fade To Black.

Favourite guitarists? It actually depends on what music I'm in the mood for as I don't really have an absolute favourite.
What can I say? I did it all for the Wookies.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 5:47 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I have been playing a Fender Acoustic for about 6 months (though I got it in october, but couldn't actually do a thing with it till I started lessons) i'm not amazing, but I seem to be picking it up pretty fast. I can't read music, just tabs... I know about 7 chords fluently and have even begun to make up my own very simple (read: sh*te) songs. I was saving up for an electric.. but you know. I don't want to any more, I like my Acoustic.

No way am i good enough to be in a band. I would liek to be, though maybe not playing guitar- not Acoustic anyway, as I can't really sing.

the best guitarist, without a doubt, is Dave matthews.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 7:00 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I started off on lead guitar, but moved to bass after about 6 months, I continued to play Guitar a little, but it annoyed me, because the strings were too small... - I started about 6 years ago, and was playing actively for about 3 years, I was having lessons all this time from a very cool guitar teachter. I was in a band for a while with some school friends, but they weren't very serious about it, we only played 2-3 gigs total, almost made an album, but their lack of commitment annoyed me, so I left. Ironically enough, I haven't really played since then!

I still pick it up every now and again though, just to see if I can still do it, surprisingly enough I can - Without meaning to sound big-headed, I am pretty sh*t-hot on a bass.

I didn't believe it until I met up with some other bassists of Zine, who were self-proclaimed rock gods, and they said "OMG, how can you spread your fingers over 6 frets? - how can you use your little finger??!" - it's all down to having proper tuition, so that's my tip - get a teacher, although when you are learning you won't realise how much good it is doing you, it will get you in good habits that will stand you in good stead, and one day you will meet someone who "is good on guitar" - and you can just blow them away

Best Bassist is Jaco Pastorious, Guitarist is difficult, I'll come back to you on that one... Best bass guitar is without a doubt, the Fender Jazz - I always wanted one, but had to make do with a copy

If anyone is interested, you can download one of my band's tracks Coming Up For Air (Highly embarrassing)- And here is My Romance (fairly impressive IMO) - solo on bass - this was the arrangement i was doing for my grade 8's, before I kinda... stopped...

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 7:25 pm

Chris Kamara -

That's my dads living. He's a guitarist. Regular teacher and plays in clubs and pubs. Eric Roche, Ken Nicol, Ewan Carruthurs, those are the 'kinda people' he plays with, [as well as local groups, and his own band.] You've probably never heard of them, neither had i til not long ago, they make fortunes in playing guitar, selling albums and stuff.

Nice work if you can get it

Personally I have no interest in playing guitar. I tried years ago but i just didn't enjoy it.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 7:37 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

[quote=martin_ link=1090596466/0#6 date=1090610737]That's my dads living. He's a guitarist. Regular teacher and plays in clubs and pubs. Eric Roche, Ken Nicol, Ewan Carruthurs, those are the 'kinda people' he plays with, [as well as local groups, and his own band.] You've probably never heard of them, neither had i til not long ago, they make fortunes in playing guitar, selling albums and stuff.

Nice work if you can get it

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 7:40 pm

Jewbacca -

Quote: martin_
I tried years ago but i just didn't enjoy it.

Same here. But i kept going and now i love it

i play REM at the moment. everybody hurts, losing my religion etc.

*sings*
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 7:41 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: LoonyPandora_

I've heard of Eric Roche - really amazing technique he has.

apparantly so. he seems a decent enough bloke, rates my dad highly which is..nice. saw one of his cds lying around earlier, signed. i wonder how much i'd get on ebay

The Zine Superhero

| 366 posts

23rd Jul 2004 at 11:42 pm

The Official Zine Superhero

Played for two months on a starter set, though also got myself a cheap acoustic.

Tabs are better. By a mile.

Stuff I usually play is stuff like "Where is my Mind?" or "Gay Bar".
Love. Bang. Crash. Wakka, Wakka, Bam Thwok.

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 9:03 am

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

I have trouble with reading music myself, I can but it takes me ages to decipher it. Tabs are simpler in that sense but it's always good to have the sheet music there beside it to show the rhythm and things.

I'm not a very disciplined guitarist. At jams I just tend to do the average thing of hitting as many notes as i can as fast as i can. So I'm working on my technique at the moment. Eric Bell had a fascinating technique as did George Harrison. I find that when practicing solos throwing a few chords in every so often (like one in every third bar) makes it sound far more professional.

Rose

| 3,316 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 9:46 am

A very attractive man. Not me. Him.

i play piano, guitar, bass and drums, but only piano with any degree of competence. i have two guitars, one acoustic, one electric, both hideously out of tune. i mostly play acoustic, and usually just strumming oasis, travis, green day type stuff. my favourite things to play on electric are "every breath you take" and "killer queen" because i can get better definition out of electric and trying to bend at the 11th fret on an acoustic really hurts. i have tiny hands so barres are out of the question, i get really horrible cramps, which limits me to just a few chords but i play fair enough, but certainly wouldn't say "good"
Anton Chekhov - Smash Hits

Vel

| 23,203 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 9:49 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

You could be a one girl band!
I am starting to teach myself guitar on my brother's acoustic (and maybe his electric if I can nick it often enough) But saying that, I prefer bass. But I am teaching myself songs by ear, I can play quite a few. I can read music, just not guitar tabs, so this summer, I aim to paractice.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Graham

| 5,553 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 1:18 pm

Ive got an acoustic, but im the type that starts, then forgets it immediately, i really should start lessons.....but once i get my drum kit, i may stop....
Quote: Barry Duffman, Aug 2008
it still doesnt make sense! He's talking about putting potatoes in cement to cook them!!

hikey

| 5,865 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 1:22 pm

its the semi automatic stun gun!!!!!!!!!!!! yeehaw

i have a guitar a westbury deluxe ........hehehheheheh "classy"
he aint all there he dont like beans!!!!!!!!!!!

hikey

| 5,865 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 1:25 pm

cant find a picture of it its from 1981 and is tobbacco sunburst like this one

hikey

| 5,865 posts

24th Jul 2004 at 1:26 pm

it actually sounds very very good which amazes everyone as it looks very timid

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

25th Jul 2004 at 4:55 pm

I'm learning on a wee acoustic. I'm going to get an electric for my birthday, though. I don't take lessons because I don't get on well with guitar teachers I'm hoping I'll pick up a bit more enthusiasm once I get the electric.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Lady_Lestat

| 1,357 posts

25th Jul 2004 at 5:20 pm

Lady_Lestat - 'I've Been Embalmed!'

'I've Been Embalmed!'

I tried to play guitar for a month or so. But to be honest im way too lazy to learn it properly and im so not musically talented to teach myself. So i kinda gave it up. My sister has the guitar instead now and shes doing fably.

WasteOfAnAngel

| 222 posts

25th Jul 2004 at 7:27 pm

Cute L'il Dead Girl

I started playing guitar about...5 years ago. Started off just seeing a guitar and wanting it, my friend Em getting a guitar about the same time, and the two of us trying to teach other for a couple of months, before realising we needed to get proper lessons. Had 2 years of lessons and spent a lot of time trying to write songs and things with lots of enthusiasm, which gradually faded away as I got caught up with other things, switched to bass guitar and back a few times, also took up drums, barely touched my guitars for the past year or so now.

Still have my first guitar, tis a black Hondo acoustic which is very pretty both looks and sound-wise, it's the only one I've bothered with in the past 12 months, cost
Take your wings outside, you can't fly in here

be creative, invent a new perversion

> > recommended book ~ Chuck Palahniuk - Diary < <
> > recommended song ~ The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby < <

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

26th Jul 2004 at 9:30 am

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

A Fender Strat for

wombat

| 8,154 posts

26th Jul 2004 at 10:04 am

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I tend to use my fingers by the way, as I can't really work out how to use a plectrum whilst picking seperate notes. I use a plectrum for strumming sometimes though... as I have sort of learned how to strum with my hand wrong. I have this little patch of hard skin on the right side of my right thumb... which I assume is where I keep hitting the strings with it. the sound is nice, but I know I'm not doing it properly.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Vel

| 23,203 posts

26th Jul 2004 at 10:09 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I used to play it left handed because I found it easier. But then I found out that it's actually easier to play a right-handed guitar the right way up and with your right-hand, so I promptly forgot. So I now play it normally.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

26th Jul 2004 at 10:12 am

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

So what's the song everybody is proud that they can play on guitar?

At the moment, I'm rather chuffed i can play the cowboy song by thin lizzy. Brian Robertson was a damn fine guitarist, possibly the best Scottish guitarist ever?

26th Jul 2004 at 10:19 am

mischievous kids cuss

"House of Jealous Lovers" by the Rapture would get the hipster vote, and I like having to do hybrid picking, and slides. I quite like playing "Expecting" by the White Stripes. I really do need to learn more songs though...
They imitate but I teach

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

26th Jul 2004 at 2:20 pm

Quote: Bergerac_
Who plays guitar here? What kind of stuff do you play? Are in a band? What other guitarists inspire you? Who is the best guitarist ever? Tabs or chords? Acoustic or electric? Single pick-ups of humbuckers? Give us some tips? Share your knowledge.

This is a thread for anyone that plays guitar.

I do, indie stuff mainly although broadening, trying to do own stuff, not in a band at the moment although been in several, both tabs and chords, John Squire, I play a gorgeous white Epiohone Les Paul (like James Dean Bradfield's but cheaper), greatest achievement is Waterfall by the Stone Roses.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

WasteOfAnAngel

| 222 posts

26th Jul 2004 at 7:50 pm

Cute L'il Dead Girl

[quote=Bob_Flapper_ link=1090596466/15#21 date=1090834246]A Fender Strat for
Take your wings outside, you can't fly in here

be creative, invent a new perversion

> > recommended book ~ Chuck Palahniuk - Diary < <
> > recommended song ~ The Smashing Pumpkins - Thru the Eyes of Ruby < <

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page