Is it preference or Ignorance?

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

petal

| 887 posts

22nd Jun 2004 at 8:08 pm

petal - What kind of cartwheels do I have to pull?

What kind of cartwheels do I have to pull?

Well folks, before I begin ranting this is my first ever thread so be nice;

So just thought I'd start a thread about the different preferences people have in music.
Its just its very rare that you find someone who mostly listens to heavy metal, to enjoy a bit of of sugababes.
Or someone who is besotted with getting 'down' to Sean Paul to additionally be into Linkin Park.
You get the idea

Anyway I was just pondering, weather or not the reasons for these common preferences were actual honest public displays of a certain catorgory of music (i.e. rnb, rock, classical ect..)
Or if infact some people are too ignorant to learn a little about music outside their "preferences"

I, myself try and be as openminded as possible and consider myself to be into different types of music.
I love the chilli peppers but I cant help my head diggin soppy song like Britney's 'everytime' or David Gray's *this years love* :-[
Ahhhh.......
Its just, oh I cant get over the fact that some peeps get a buzz off a song (you know the feeling, when you cant help but dance, hum, or sing when it comes on.If its really good you may even get shivers down your back, anyway :-X) and others can just deteste it
Yea, I am very much aware that we are all unique and I appreciate that peeps have their individual tastes ...blah blah..
I just cant help thinking that people who narrow themselves down to a certain catagory of music are missing out on so much... if you get turned on by a song that you are embarassed to be turned on by, just feck it and give in! Don't punish your brain man!

Right well I just hope I have made sence, I really am not usually this serious i need your views people cos this topic confuses me
ANYWAY, I have wrote far too much for this thread so I'll shut the f*ck up now and let some of you fine people voice youselves :-X

P.s. Admittedly, bands such as Busted, Westlife, Blue ect (yes I do loathe boybands) are complete sh*te and do not deserve any recognition.
P.p.s. That was not hypocritical, just fecking honest - right I really am gonna p*ss off now.
Wife of Dr. Robb phd.

Nemi

| 837 posts

22nd Jun 2004 at 8:36 pm

my downloaded list include:

beethoven/mozart etc to remixes e.g. "clubbed to death - rob d"

manics, travis, muse, pixies, goo goo dolls
clash, sex pistols
soil, kinesis, marilyn manson, metallica
run DMC, dialted peoples, beastie boys, coolio
daft punk, prodigy
spunge, less than jake
beatles
90's music
ARGH cant be arsed to type more. I have too much music. (2800 at last count - yes, i know people have more, but trying to get round view!)

But yeah, i dont see how you can not like something from one genre, unless you've heard EVERYTHING, and hate it all.

Most of what I have tends to be singles. The genres I associate myself with are the ones I actually have albums, or vast amounts of.

Nemi

| 837 posts

22nd Jun 2004 at 8:40 pm

Quote: Calico_Jack_
I
And call me a freak or whatever but I also don't mind the reeaaally classical stuff

Youd be surprised at how many people like classical if you admit it first. Most people dont mention it, as they assume they are in a minority and that there may be stigma attached etc...

Topper

| 6,773 posts

22nd Jun 2004 at 11:09 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Tis a good topic Petal, I wish my first one was as good as this one. I think my first one was something like 'I hate my legs, help me overcome them'. See, nothing to worry about Shame about the last bit where you have a pop at bands you don't like which, kinda negates your argument.

Anyway, to answer your thread, I too wish people would be open minded, but if they're happy, that's up to them I guess. In an ideal world, we'd all respect each others tastes and try all sorts of music before judging, but that ain't really gonna happen. As for me I like a few different types of music, from electronica to rock to some strands of hip hop. I try not to be cruel to bands/genres until I've tried them, but invariably we all do it at sometime.

I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

petal

| 887 posts

22nd Jun 2004 at 11:31 pm

Yes well I'd just like to confirm that I was being ironic

(though i still believe it of course)

*is ashamed of oneself*
Wife of Dr. Robb phd.

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 10:30 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

Whether a song turns me on and makes me wanna dance crazily or not depends on how much I like the song, not the genre of it.

My music collection is mostly rock/indie with some trance/euphoria and musical soundtracks (grease, rocky horror) and good ol' 60's and 70's and 90's pop. Ah all I need now is 80's.

I do agree though that there is a stigma (is that the right word?... its not enigma..) about musical tastes etc, and some people are embarassed to admit to liking a song just because it doesn't fit their 'image'. This used to happen among my friends when we were younger, though not any more.

ps: whats that thing called when you get the wounds of jesus suddenly appearing?

Wibble

| 5,323 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 10:49 am

scapegoat extraordinaire

Quote: Jingle_
ps: whats that thing called when you get the wounds of jesus suddenly appearing?

stigmata ?

Tinkerbell

| 1,023 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 10:53 am

Tinkerbell - Its Jah Love That Im Waiting On

Its Jah Love That Im Waiting On

Firstly i just have to say hannah you contradicted yourself a bit at the end hun! but moving on to the subject i think i have a very VERY rare taste in my music as i do actually like a bit of most things- i like linkin park to sean paul and i like ronan keating to eminem to Van Morrsion to the Doors - i do actually like everything! I think it helps and is quite fun to have a wide taste in variety in music! hope this anwsers some of your questions :-*
Excuse me while I light my spliff
Good God I gotta take a lift
From reality I just can't drift
That's why I am staying with this riff

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 11:12 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

Quote: Wibble_

stigmata ?

Isn't that part of a plant. Or maybe thats stomata. Ah wheres Phil a.k.a 'fountain of knowledge' when you need him?

Wibble

| 5,323 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 11:19 am

scapegoat extraordinaire

Quote: Jingle_

Isn't that part of a plant. Or maybe thats stomata. Ah wheres Phil a.k.a 'fountain of knowledge' when you need him?

stigmata
Bodily marks, sores, or sensations of pain corresponding in location to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus, usually occurring during states of religious ecstasy or hysteria

(Botany.) The receptive apex of the pistil of a flower, on which pollen is deposited at pollination

stomata
(Botany) One of the minute pores in the epidermis of a leaf or stem through which gases and water vapor pass. Also called stomate

God bless http://dictionary.reference.com/

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 1:09 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

i'd like to think i was open minded, but my girlfriend would like to argue, i have a thign against 'emo' music, just because alot of it has a very trebley shout that seems to have no consistancy, but othre than that and the obvious pop one i'dl ike to think i had a broad listening range, i occasionally recieve crit for some of it, il ike a lot of the old snoop dogg stuff, i love loads of dance music (rob d rules too) and yeah i like robbie williams and a couple of kylie osngs, quite a bit of maddona but the mojority of what i listen to revolves aroudn marilyn manson cradle of filth etc...intersperesed nicely with placebo and various other artists including the levellers (a new edition to my listenign range) there are quite a few bands that i will like one song of and hate a thousand others by them for example maroon 5 i've heard most of their album and the only song i like on it is harder to breathe. classical music is good, but i tend to dislike classical when it is major, also there are two andrew loyd=webber songs i like, memories (very beutiful) and also the minor part to close every door to me. and a lot of phantom of the opera stuff (was that webber?) i like the new slipknot soong i alos liek sum of there other stuff but not an amazing amount i think its a shame corey doesn't use his voice better coz in the song 'bother' its really nice. also murder dolls/frankenstien drag queens from the planet 13 i really dislike but recently i dunno they're almost tongue in cheek way of doing everything has grown on me, i like the song 197666 its funny. anyway yeah this was probably me just clearing myself, a lot of my friends..no names mentioned...also like to consider themselves open minded but in comparison to my range i don't think they are (maybe just me on my high horse)
p.s. the cheiftans rule especially when they do stuff with great big sea!
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

petal

| 887 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 3:21 pm

Wife of Dr. Robb phd.

Will

| 6,984 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 3:56 pm

i listen to as many different types of music as i can. apart from pop music which i dont really like because i dont consider it to be artistic, its just made to generate profits.

but anyway, not meaning to sound egotastic, but i dont know anyone who has a range of musical tastes as varied as mine. most people tend to stick with one genre because it is cool in their social gr00pz, or whatever. i listen to whatever i feel like listening to, from black metal to jazz... music is alll good.

i hate it when people say "this music sucks" when it obviously doesn't, its just their particular musical tastes differ. or it might be that they actually like it but are afraid to show it because their friends dont.
when i listen to something i dont like (which isnt often..) i just respect it for what it is, because it doesnt suck, its just someones art which i dont like. unless its pop, in which case i just dismiss it / ignore it.

i also dislike bands who sound exactly the same as the next band, like the 'The' bandwagon thing going round. The Strokes are boring IMO, and its made worse by the hundreds of bands trying to copy them. i also dislike music directly aimed at a certain demographic like emo...

Edited by Will Jun 2004

slaaj

| 174 posts

23rd Jun 2004 at 6:54 pm

slaaj - weebles wobble.       but they dont fall down.

weebles wobble.       but they dont fall down.

I like lots of different kinds of music, but the most irritating thing is really boring bands. Bands like The Strokes, Dandy Warhols, Coldplay (to an extent) all wear their influences on their shoulder to the extent that they sound like cover bands singing new songs.
I say go forth and make music, but for god's sake give it some balls and try something new.

PS. Everyone should go and see dillinger escape plan. I went 2 weeks ago and i still hurt. Huzzah(0)))
Confucious, he say "man who goes through airport turnstyle sideways, he going to Bangkok"

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

24th Jun 2004 at 2:25 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

So whats an enema?

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page