Political Music - Pointless?

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Nemi

| 837 posts

19th Jun 2004 at 11:41 pm

A quote from a friend of mine:

"When I become dictator, I'm not going to ban music against me, infact, I'd positivley encourage it. Thats the mistake other dictators keep making. If you ban the music, then people start realising the oppression, they get start to plot against you, your power is obvious. If however, they have an outlet for it, they'll just hang around, making music, and they wont actually do anything"

Or words to that effect.

So what do you think?

Is political music actually doing anything? Or is it just a lot of noise with no substance?

If you think about it, the Dixie Chicks didnt get the attention for speaking out againt Bush, they got it for getting whemselves banned on the rightwing radio stations ,IIRC.

Any views?

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

19th Jun 2004 at 11:58 pm

Hobbes - the hoopiest of all the froods

the hoopiest of all the froods

That's 'cos they're the Dixie Chicks... *shudder*
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

Will

| 6,984 posts

20th Jun 2004 at 1:05 pm

political music doesnt really do much, i mean does anything do much? even mass worldwide protests dont seem to change politicians minds...
music with political lyrics is just music about whats on the song writers mind really.. unless as a band they try and be political in which case they try to get somewhere but... dont. so it is kinda pointless in that way.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Jun 2004 at 2:55 pm

learrggh -

Bob Marley? I don't really know much but he was supposed to have done that.

Flapdoodle

| 4,238 posts

20th Jun 2004 at 5:34 pm

Flapdoodle - TO THE SEA...

TO THE SEA...

I think that it is just another to sing about. People write songs about most aspects of their lies and politics is one of them.

Flapdoodle

| 4,238 posts

22nd Jun 2004 at 9:22 pm

Flapdoodle - TO THE SEA...

TO THE SEA...

i wonder if i have such appropriate typos in my exams,i can hope.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page