Band organisation

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Flapdoodle

| 4,238 posts

26th May 2004 at 3:59 pm

Flapdoodle - TO THE SEA...

TO THE SEA...

I ended up in aband as there is a severe lack of drummers it seems so i'm in high demand (even though i'm not so good) and well in the end various other band things fell through. One night i was sitting with some friends of mine and we realised we actually had all members for a band so though why not then (they all knew of my fake band before which temporarily for all of 2 practices turned into a real 1). We practice when we have somewhere to do it and we feel like it (usually ends up being drunken practices at mine) . We aren't a seriosus band at all- we never plan to play a proper gig (yeah it would be cool if we did but we have done things for other mates). Co-operationwise we seem to all get on well, although we did lose 1 member because he was an a*se.

What are you going to be taking lessons in?

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

27th May 2004 at 8:21 am

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

er...i at one point, was in three bands at once. i was in a band with this guy i knew from school, clare and his girlfriend. i really liked the stuff we were making but it seems he was an a*s and stole all our songs which he then claimed as his own unfortunately i found them on the internet the other day, alas the band has already broken up around christmas just gone
second band a band called neureal which we (me and a load of mates from school and college) went into twith the idea of creatign something a little unusal...we had two practices and things were going well i hadn't heard a genre that would fit what we made but i kinda lost interest in that band as did the guitarist i think although we do plan on getting that group back together.
third band at that time was caleld black rose. now this is the first band i was called in as a singer (something i've dreamed of and always wanted to do) and lyricist. so i jumped at that i knew the guitarist via english language lectures, we had no bassist for a while and had some practices without one it was all good and going well then we recruited a bassist who responded to an advert posted around college, he came along and is f*cking amazing to me. me and sam (bassist) got on really well better than anyone rreally goto n with martin (guitarist) who ran it as though it was his band and nothing else mattered. it was sh*tty after a while as he just wanted to re-create black sabbbath and i hate that, the bassist hated that, and the drummer although to cowardly to stand up to martin and tell him hates it too. so me and the band split through artistic differences (then martin did somethign to p*ss me off which we wont go into) then just recently the bassist quit so now he has exactly what he started with.
the moral of this story? bands come and go but be perssistant and just keep making music, but be open minded try loads of things.
right now i am in an acoustic band where i sing now and we are in studio at the moment by tuesday after this tuesday coming we should have a finished e.p. then its up to working on live stuff so we can gig. we are all good mates, all open minded all willing to try anything. and its great fun. so keep plugging away. jus find peeps you know whop lay instruments and ask if they wanna play with you (not in that way!) but ya'know wat i mean
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

27th May 2004 at 11:11 am

From my experience the more you organise it the more pressure youre under to do stuff so the more you f*ck up. The first couple of bands I was in with mates who could play stuff we tried to organise regular sessions and unless we had a set agenda of stuff to play we just ended up arguing. The only one I've been completely happy in was just me and my mate writing songs on an acoustic guitar in various places (down the back of the fire escape at school was a fave) and that nearly worked.

I could never go for one of these military organised things that need auditioning for and b*ll*cks.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

27th May 2004 at 12:36 pm

Trippy Mushrooms

The best thing to do is to get with a few mates who you know.If you're gonna be singing or writing lyrics then you want people who you're comfortable with.
Me and my brother have been writing and recording some stuff on guitar and piano/keyboard and then we just plan to teach a few friends the bass and guitar parts and hopefully do some gigs.Whenever we get together to practice,though,we just end up drinking too much and jamming.
As for artistic differences,a guitarist friend of mine who we jam with also wants to be involved despite the fact that she dislikes my piano-playing but won't say so to my face.I think she will be left out.
Me and my brother also have a few differences due to the fact that he wants to put guitar solos in everything whereas I'd rather do something more experimental.It's no big deal,though,we just share the music/lyric writing.I just really want to play a few gigs,so whether or not I have 100% input doesn't bother me that much,as long as I get the chance to play.
Hope this helps.
this is the dark age of love

pain like a drain on my sense of wonder,makes you wonder,how many butterflies have died in growing old and trying to please the ones they least admire?

JM

| 8,289 posts

27th May 2004 at 8:29 pm

Make sure your singer can sing for a start. If you have different tastes in music be prepared to compromise.

Try an organise a band night with a few other bands at your local arts centre or something.

Be wary of the 'i'm too big for this band' member. If you have one of these it always leads to disaster as i have recently discovered.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

28th May 2004 at 12:35 pm

Trippy Mushrooms

A singer doesn't particularly have to be a good singer.There's a lot of bands about with crap singers.Or you can just have an instrumental band like Dirty 3.Or do arty spoken word stuff.Endless possiblilities.
this is the dark age of love

pain like a drain on my sense of wonder,makes you wonder,how many butterflies have died in growing old and trying to please the ones they least admire?

hikey

| 5,865 posts

28th May 2004 at 1:26 pm

its the semi automatic stun gun!!!!!!!!!!!! yeehaw

the lead singer in ellis's band is a poodle ..poodle frontman he is called so is the band they do jam sessions only cant think why.....he dont sing either he just has big hair..
he aint all there he dont like beans!!!!!!!!!!!

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

3rd Jun 2004 at 4:26 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Only the saddos say it is like sex

the real pros say it is better than sex

Will

| 6,984 posts

3rd Jun 2004 at 5:31 pm

[http://www.jeffthejiff.com/stuff/jimi.jpg]
'nuff said.

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

3rd Jun 2004 at 5:36 pm

Quote: Radical_Edward_
Its also very true, speak to any semi pro or pro musician who is basically only living to play music and they'll describe it in a similar way. where as playing is usually likened to sex. (no seriously)

Yeah, I agree with that.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page