Currently Reading? (contd......)

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st Oct 2011 at 3:56 pm

the doc -

Old one's hit 150 pages. Took six years to get there with the looks of it. Given the current amount of traffic through here, we'll probably all be old and grey by the time this one gets filled, if it ever gets filled at all.

Anyways, I've just finished reading Robert Services' A History of Modern Russia as discussed in the old thread. Good overview, like I said. Wasn't really holding my attention by the end, but I think that's cos mentally I'm not quite all there this week rather than it being a fault with the book or the writer.

Next up is going to by My Childhood by Maxim Gorky, I think.

Any of you mods going to sticky this, or do we not do that any more?

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

2nd Oct 2011 at 12:14 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1315022879l/11072325.jpg]

Promising so far
Wife of the lovely Alice

Claire

| 15,814 posts

2nd Oct 2011 at 1:09 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Stickied I don't often visit this board so I didn't know that a new thread was needed until I saw you'd made it
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

8th Oct 2011 at 9:37 am

the doc -

[quote="Lilac_Leopard|Claire|1317484588|844393|1317560977"]Stickied I don't often visit this board so I didn't know that a new thread was needed until I saw you'd made it [/quote

Nice one gaffer ]

the doc

| 23,161 posts

16th Oct 2011 at 10:07 am

the doc -

Read the first volume of Maxim Gorky's autobiography. Very good it was too, although it's basically written in the style of a novel so much of it reads like fiction. Extremely atmopshieric in any case and he draws the characters beautifully, especially his granparents.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

22nd Oct 2011 at 11:18 am

The Night Circus was awesome, though I fear the film will be garbage.

Now reading

[http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NXlg4Q%2BtL.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

22nd Oct 2011 at 1:09 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

I'm reading the new Bernard Cornwell book, Death of Kings. So far it's exactly the same as the last one , think he may be writing just for the cash now instead of writing a good story.
Never take life seriously.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Oct 2011 at 1:47 pm

the doc -

On Hobos and Homelessness by Nels Anderson.

Anthology of writings by pioneering American sociologist, renowed for his studies of those on the margins of American society. Very good it is too.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

30th Oct 2011 at 6:53 pm

Now reading [http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1181333822l/1139322.jpg]

The Incubus book was actually really good.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

12th Nov 2011 at 5:55 pm

Since Ralph's Party I've read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender (it was ok, not amazing)

Now reading

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1279481110l/6744240.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Vel

| 23,203 posts

13th Nov 2011 at 1:30 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Still reading Pilcrow by Adam Mars-Jones.

Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

the doc

| 23,161 posts

14th Nov 2011 at 10:52 am

the doc -

Read Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien on the plane over to the States. Powerful, hallucinatory stuff and probably the best novel about the Vietnam war that I've read.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

18th Nov 2011 at 10:29 pm

Finished The Ice Cream Girls - good but a bit predictable.

Now reading:

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1277033306l/8482928.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Vel

| 23,203 posts

19th Nov 2011 at 8:52 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

The Night Circus (see Wifey's post!)
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

the doc

| 23,161 posts

21st Nov 2011 at 4:49 pm

the doc -

Some Bukowski poems I've given to the readers group at work. Be funny as f*ck to see what they make of these.

Sh*t on the world.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

24th Nov 2011 at 7:32 pm

Finished Trisha Ashley, was very average. Might try the recipes at the end though perhaps they will be good.

Now reading:
[http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516OtaVwRnL.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Vel

| 23,203 posts

26th Nov 2011 at 12:30 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Just read the first Hunger Games book, now to finish the trilogy
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

the doc

| 23,161 posts

27th Nov 2011 at 12:46 pm

the doc -

Recently read If I Die in a Combat Zone by Tim O'Brien. Top-drawer first-hand account of the Vietnam war from the point of view of a guy who was drafted and sent off to fight. Really powerful. .Phil, it's got your name all over it, if you've never read it before.

Am currently on with Look Homeward Angel by Thomas Wolfe, a guy whose work I've been after checking out for a long time./ Great stuff - kinda reads like D*ckens but in the American vernacular, if you can imagine such a thing.

Edited by the doc Dec 2011

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Dec 2011 at 12:08 pm

the doc -

Finally finished that Thomas Wolfe. Good stuff but the overly verbose style was annoying me a little by the end. You don't need to use an adjective every time someone says something for f*ck's sake, if you're writing the dialogue properly the tone of the speech should be implicit in the words thy characters speak without you having to tell us how they say it. Grrrrrr

There were some really good bits in it, was just a bit too long and the lead character started to p*ss me off. Most of the characters did by the end, actually. Some great writing in there, maybe think I just didn't have enough time and attention to devote to it. Will be checking out some more of his stuff, although not for a while.

Next up is porbably The Polarisation of Elizabethan Politics: the political career of Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex which I've just got as a free inter-library loan from the British Library at Boston Spa. Highly academic and probably very dry, not at all where my head is at the moment but I've been waiting for it for nearly a year so will have to get it dogged off and then send it back on its way again. Wish me luck.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

9th Dec 2011 at 8:47 pm

the doc -

Just read In Search of the Blues: black voices, white visions by Marybeth Hamilton and it was really good, a sociological history of the way white folks have sought to historicise, romanticise and define the origins of blues. Fascinating stuff. James Murphy, dunno if you still read these pages but you should give it a look.

Now on with If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino. Been meaning to read this for ages. Ultra post-modern, astonishingly so in fact, but I'm quite enjoying it so far. Really interested to see where it's going to go because every time I think I've picked all it's tricks, it surprises me with another one. It's a f*cker like that, but in a good way. Might get on my tits by the end but we'll see.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

17th Dec 2011 at 4:35 pm

the doc -

Quote: curly_cow, Dec 2011
Quote: the doc, Dec 2011
Now on with If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino. Been meaning to read this for ages. Ultra post-modern, astonishingly so in fact, but I'm quite enjoying it so far. Really interested to see where it's going to go because every time I think I've picked all it's tricks, it surprises me with another one. It's a f*cker like that, but in a good way. Might get on my tits by the end but we'll see.

Oh I've read that - for uni - very twisty-turny.

It sure is. Finished it the other day and it was okay but not really my cup of tea. Reminded me a little of Life: a user's guide by George Perec - very, very clever but ultimately unsatisfying.

Am now reading Last Train To Memphis by Peter Guralnik. Brilliant biography of Elvis that somehow manages to cut through the myths and caricatures and bullsh*t and give some genuine insight into the man's life. Halfway through it and it's one of the best music books I've ever read. Keep getting little shivers of escitement when he talks about record shops in Nashville and bars in Memphis and I know what he's on about cos I've visited them all

curly_cow

| 1,669 posts

27th Dec 2011 at 6:04 pm

curly_cow - make luv not war!

make luv not war!

The Magician and The Sorceress - Michael Scott.

Double Cross - Malorie Blackman.

Yet another series I've finally finished. Makes me feel old.
The world is quiet here.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

7th Jan 2012 at 5:00 pm

the doc -

Recently read Hellfire by Nick Tosches, a riotous biography of Jerry Lee Lewis. After that it was The Southern Mind by W J Cash. Not sure what's next, but possibly the book about the history of Nashville that milady bought me for Christmas.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

9th Jan 2012 at 5:23 pm

the doc -

Just read The Nashville Sound by Paul Hemphill. Decent slice of Americana and pretty informative, although the constant baseball analogies got on my tits a bit and I'd definitely take issue with his claim that country music is America's only real native art form.

Taking a break from non-fiction for now and getting stuck into The Little Sister. Man, I love this stuff.

Edited by the doc Jan 2012

the doc

| 23,161 posts

10th Jan 2012 at 3:51 pm

the doc -

Quote:
Taking a break from non-fiction for now and getting stuck into The Little Sister. Man, I love this stuff.

Smashed that more or less in a single sitting. Think I'm (going to read either Death in the Afternoon or Redemption Song *Strummer biog) next. Me boss told me not to go into work tomorrow and if things don't improve I might not be going in for the rest of the week so gives me plenty of time to get stuck into some serious reading. That's the only benefit of being ill.

Edited by the doc Jan 2012

the doc

| 23,161 posts

11th Jan 2012 at 10:59 am

the doc -

Got fairly well cracked into Death In the Afternoon yesterday and it's absolutely brilliant. It's the first Hemingway I've read in a while and it's nice to get reacquainted with one of the absolute all-time masters. Lovelovelove.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Jan 2012 at 10:25 am

the doc -

Done in the Hemingway (marvellous) and am now getting stuck into Lowside Of the Road - a life of Tom Waits by barney Hoskyns. Sidecar bought me this for Christmas, which was kinda synchronistic cos we've got a copy of this at work and I've veen meaning to borrow it for ages.

Hoskyns is one of the best rock writers around and this is shaping up to be very good indeed.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Jan 2012 at 7:48 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Jan 2012
Done in the Hemingway (marvellous) and am now getting stuck into Lowside Of the Road - a life of Tom Waits by barney Hoskyns. Sidecar bought me this for Christmas, which was kinda synchronistic cos we've got a copy of this at work and I've veen meaning to borrow it for ages.

Hoskyns is one of the best rock writers around and this is shaping up to be very good indeed.

I've been reading this f*cker all day and it's exceptional.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

13th Jan 2012 at 8:31 pm

[http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51iZvaSszkL.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

15th Jan 2012 at 4:59 pm

the doc -

I've been reading this f*cker all day and it's exceptional.

Finished. Fabulous.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

21st Jan 2012 at 11:31 pm

[http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514maR8EKPL.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Jan 2012 at 10:28 am

the doc -

Been getting stuck into some serious reading again this last couple of weeks. Just read The Soccer War by Ryszard Kapuscinski. Great stuff, kinda like New Journalism in a sense. He was a Pole who was one of the only journalists from the Iron Curtain countries to be allowed into the free world. His travels took him all around Africa and South America, witnessing coup after coup after coup and getting into a whole heap of sh*t while he was at it. By the time he retired, he'd witnessed twenty six (or eight, can remember which) revolutions and been sentenced to death four times This book covers just a small part of that, but it's excellent all the same. .Phil, this might be one for you.

After that caned my way through Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell. Been meaning to read his stuff for ages and this was brilliant. How anyone can write book can be so utterly sad and yet so absolutely f*cking laugh out loud funny at the same time is beyond me, but he pulls it off magnificently. I'd say it's like Cannery Row written by William Faulkner at the a*se end of a bender on some really nasty moonshine but I said that about Suttree so I can't Very reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy though, must have been a huge influence on the great man, especially that pitch-perfecrt dialogue. Anyway, it's all about poverty, starvation, incest and death and is well worth a read. F*cking savage ending though.

Next up is Too Loud A Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

29th Jan 2012 at 5:54 pm

the doc -

Quote:
Next up is Too Loud A Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal.

Just done that in and did not enjoy it one little bit. Bore f*ck all resemblance to how it was described on the back cover. Apparently it's about a man in a "police state" but there was never any mention of anything like that all or, or of him being ordered to destory literature in the way implied in the blurb. Proper gyp. Read Farenheit 451 instead if that's what you're after.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

29th Jan 2012 at 7:05 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1295394430l/10134852.jpg]

That Empty Nesters book was a bit of a snoozefest. This one is good so far Got some recipes in it too.
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

30th Jan 2012 at 8:36 pm

the doc -

The Monkeywrench Gang by Edward Abbey.

Found this in the booksale at work the other day. Never heard of it (or him) but it's about a gang of eco-hippy terrorists who like carrying out acts of Parnkster-esque industrial sabotage. Written in the mid-70s and is very much of it's time, but in a good way. Reminiscent of Richard Farina, or Thomas Pynchon at his most accessible. Very, very funny satire, thus far.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

30th Jan 2012 at 9:00 pm

I Cunt Spell -

I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.
I'd like to know whether it influenced Bruce Robinson because Raskolnikov seems the literary embodiment of Withnail.

I have Little Women, The Count Of Monte Cristo, Tess Of D'Urbevilles and Moses Ascending up next.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

30th Jan 2012 at 9:06 pm

the doc -

Quote: I C*nt Spell, Jan 2012
I'm reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky.
I'd like to know whether it influenced Bruce Robinson because Raskolnikov seems the literary embodiment of Withnail.

I have Little Women, The Count Of Monte Cristo, Tess Of D'Urbevilles and Moses Ascending up next.

How you finding it? I love Dostoyevsky. Apart from The Possessed, that one did my box in.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

30th Jan 2012 at 9:44 pm

I Cunt Spell -

It's been really good so far. I keep trying to second guess what will come next which is a good sign.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

2nd Feb 2012 at 6:07 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1306405203l/10128165.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

5th Feb 2012 at 5:14 pm

Roxannie -

[http://www.doyletics.com/arj/lovedone.jpg]

a completely different book from Brideshead Revisited, apart from I think in each one Waugh was trying to capture the essence of a certain way of life. The Loved One is mostly set in a Memorial Park in Hollywood and Waugh seems fixated on the American attitudes towards death and how alien they are to someone British living in America.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

7th Feb 2012 at 9:30 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327956903l/6878217.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

11th Feb 2012 at 9:24 am

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327937602l/9226039.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Feb 2012 at 1:01 pm

the doc -

Just read a book called Riding the Rails: teenagers on the move during the Great Depression. Absolutely faultless piece of social history, built entirely on first-hand accounts from hobos who rode the freights as kids in the 1930s. Some wonderfuk stories in there, and really interesting to see how a lot of them turned out - famous civil rights activists, war heroes, professors......(!) One of the best books I've read in ages.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

16th Feb 2012 at 7:47 am

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320549305l/8546358.jpg]

Elizabeth Haynes book was awesome btw the violence was quite graphic but it was a really good read.
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

20th Feb 2012 at 6:51 pm

the doc -

I'm currently reading a book about prohibition. Thought it was going to be really good, but unfortunately it just ain't academic enough for my tastes. You'd've thought you'd get a full and frank account of why it actually happened as well, but there isn't one. Bah.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

20th Feb 2012 at 10:52 pm

Carpet Remnant -

American Gods - Neil Gay-Man.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Feb 2012 at 7:47 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Feb 2012
I'm currently reading a book about prohibition. Thought it was going to be really good, but unfortunately it just ain't academic enough for my tastes. You'd've thought you'd get a full and frank account of why it actually happened as well, but there isn't one. Bah.

Finished that. Was okay but left me wanting to know an awful lot more so I've ordered a load from work.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Feb 2012 at 8:15 pm

the doc -

Halfway trhough reading The Wine Of Youth by John fante as well. Wonderfu little collection of short stories about Italian immigrants growing up in Colorado in the first decades of the twentieth century.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

22nd Feb 2012 at 8:17 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1267016345l/2676911.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Mar 2012 at 6:05 pm

the doc -

Just read a really intertesting book called Go Down Together, which is about Bonnie and Clyde. Great piece of social history, masquerading as a true crime book. Interesting to note that until the (magnificent, if innaccurate) Warren Beatty film in the 60s, they were always referred to as Clyde and Bonnie, but that flick altered the public perception completely.

Now reading The Easter Parade by the wonderful Richard Yates. Not his best book by any stretch, but it's still excellent.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: