Currently Reading? (contd......)

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Mar 2012 at 12:43 pm

the doc -

Quote:
Now reading The Easter Parade by the wonderful Richard Yates. Not his best book by any stretch, but it's still excellent.

Just finished this. Really, really good second half. There were a couple of scenes in there that took my by surprise and were really powerful. Emily is certainly an odd character in a lot of ways, but, as with all of his creations, she's brilliantly rendered. I think I've only got one more of his left before I've read the lot. Can't stress what a great, great writer this guy is. He's kinda like a much less salacious Updike, I think, although Updike is much the better writer. Sounds odd to say that when I'm meant to be praising the other guy, but Updike was just an undisputed master and I can't think of many other writers who are anywhere near the same league.

Read them both if you can. Aimz, have you read Revolutionary Road? Got a feeling you might like that one. If you can't be arsed there's a film of it with DiCaprio and Kate Winslett. Can't speak for it cos I've not seen it but the book is excellent. Horribe ending though

the doc

| 23,161 posts

8th Mar 2012 at 6:45 pm

the doc -

Just read The Dirt, the Motley Crue book. Every bit as sleazy, stupid and depraved as you'd expect. I must be getting old though. Time was I used to aspire to this kind of thing (falling out of limos, discharging yourself from hospital after a heroin OD, telling all the staff to f*ck off and going home and shooting up again, going on coke binges that lasted weeks, wrecking hotel rooms, crashing sports cars while p*ssed and high, all that jazz) but now it just makes them seem like arseholes.

Thing Vince Neill got a raw deal from the rest of the band and it was really sad that his daughter died, but Nikki Sixx sounds like a right c*nt. Tommy Lee comes across kinda okay in a total doofus kinda way but they really don't seem like very nice people.

Still, a very entertaining, trashy read for the most part and there are some great lines in there - "I had two choices. I could either kill myself, or go to Hawaii with a stripper and get over it......" Etc. Etc. Etc.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

26th Mar 2012 at 8:50 pm

the doc -

Redemption Song.

Peerless biography of Joe Strummer that somehow manages the staggering feat of showing him, warts and all, but without making him any less appealing. I always wanted to meet Strummer but it never came to be,

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st Apr 2012 at 10:40 am

the doc -

Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock.

Outrageous redneck vignettes from a writer I'd never heard of till I picked up the book. He's an excellent writer. These stories feature all the usual hillbilly stuff - so that's incest, poisonous snakes, speed, moonshine and violence then, for a start. Brutal, but absolutely f*cking hilarious, proper laugh-out-loud funny.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

2nd Apr 2012 at 11:28 am

the doc -

Just caned through The Sunset Limited - a novel in dramatic form by Cormac McCarthy, in which the pre-eminent exponent of Faulknerian Southern Gothic shows that he can also write an existential dialectic that stands up with the best work of Samuel Beckett. An outstanding bit of writing. Will be a travesty if he never wins the Nobel Prize.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

2nd Apr 2012 at 7:29 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

Quote: the doc, Mar 2012
Quote:
Now reading The Easter Parade by the wonderful Richard Yates. Not his best book by any stretch, but it's still excellent.

Read them both if you can. Aimz, have you read Revolutionary Road? Got a feeling you might like that one. If you can't be arsed there's a film of it with DiCaprio and Kate Winslett. Can't speak for it cos I've not seen it but the book is excellent. Horribe ending though

I'll put them on my to read list, is quite long atm though! I'd want to read the book before watching the film.

I'm currently reading [http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327916063l/11998209.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

7th Apr 2012 at 11:37 am

Keeper of the Light – Dianne Chamberlain
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Apr 2012 at 8:17 pm

the doc -

I've just read The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock.

Pretty good, although not as good as the short stories I read recently. It's quite a fractured narrative and although he ties it all together at the end it's just not quite coherent enough in the middle for my liking. That said, he writes really well and there are some really striking images in there in a grotesque Southern Gothic kinda stylee. Will be keeping an eye out for moe of his, when he writes them.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

14th Apr 2012 at 9:26 pm

The Fame Factor - Polly Courtney

Just to add, she is an author we have published previously who got picked up by Harper Collins. Thought I'd give her a go

Edited by Puffalump Apr 2012
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

19th Apr 2012 at 6:32 pm

the doc -

Nineteen Seventy Four by David Peace.

Been meaning to read these for ages and it doesn't disappoint. So much contemporary English writing is so f*cking middle class that it does my tits in, hence why I prefer American stuff. This sure as sh*t ain't middle class though, it's blunt and Northern and doom-laden and misanthropic and absolutely brutal. An authentic working class voice too. Totally engaging as well, and the plot flies along at quite a lick. Not the kinda thing I normally go for, this, but I'm going to do this right in and then go get hold of all the rest I think. Swans' wings, anyone?

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

19th Apr 2012 at 6:35 pm

Roxannie -

[http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/CiderWithRosie.jpg]

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Apr 2012 at 4:53 pm

the doc -

Don't normally read two books at a time, but I'm currently one with The Bible - the biography by Karen Armstrong, and The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.

First is an entertaining historia theologica that does exactly what it says on the tin, and the second is a collection of short storiesabout the Vietnam by the one writer who really does justice to it. He's a magnificent writer, and it's powerful stuff. Phil, reckon you'd like this stuff.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

7th May 2012 at 4:44 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1330984392l/13512785.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

8th May 2012 at 8:44 pm

the doc -

Just read King Crow by Michael Stewart, Wanted to like it more than I did, what with him being a local(ish) boy and everything but the ending was cack and the conceit employed to get there is kinda hackneyed, really, although can;t say much without giving it away. The stuff about birds was different though.

Now reading Last Evenings On Earth by Roberto Bolano, one of Nickolarse's faves.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th May 2012 at 4:05 pm

the doc -

Finished that Bolano collection and gotta say I can't see the fuss. Not often me and Nickolarse disagree on literary matters but I think we're going to on this one. There are the odd few lovely lines in there but otherwise it's somewhat too detached for my liking, and a little samey as well. Hmmmm.

Just done in 1977, the second one of them David Peace books. Nastiest sh*t I've read in ages and I'm absolutely hooked on it. Can't wait to read the other two.

Next up, Careless Love, the second part of Peter Guralnik's definitive account of the life of Elvis.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

16th May 2012 at 9:08 pm

the doc -

Quote:
Next up, Careless Love, the second part of Peter Guralnik's definitive account of the life of Elvis.

Totally majestic, this. F*cking sad though. Guralnik also done a book about Sam Cooke and I got that on me desk at work, reckon I might launch straight into it after I'm done with this one. It's a big f*cker though, still a couple of hundred pages to go.....

James

| 315 posts

16th May 2012 at 10:21 pm

James -

Quote: the doc, May 2012
Quote:

Totally majestic, this. F*cking sad though. Guralnik also done a book about Sam Cooke and I got that on me desk at work, reckon I might launch straight into it after I'm done with this one. It's a big f*cker though, still a couple of hundred pages to go.....

Love Guralnik on Elvis. You get such a sense of a man lost.

My favourite recent reads have been

Thomas Jefferson: Author of America - Christopher Hitchens
The Origin of Satan - Elaine Pagels
Who Wrote the Bible - Richard Friedman
Faustus - Marlowe

And I'm currently re-doing Ackroyd on Shakespeare.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

21st May 2012 at 8:20 pm

the doc -

Quote: Walt Flanagan, May 2012
Quote:

Love Guralnik on Elvis. You get such a sense of a man lost.

And I'm currently re-doing Ackroyd on Shakespeare.

Great, great book, the Guralnick one. Really manages to re-humanise him, especially in Last Train To Memphis. Read the final quarter of the second one yesterday and I just find the whole thing really, really sad. Would dearly love to know more about the Colonel - sounds like quite a guy.

You ever read Ackroyd's book on Blake? That's proper cool.

Lots more interesting stuff on the pile, but next up is I Was Dora Suarez by Derek Raymond, some eighties English noir recommended to me by a geezer at work. Should be dealt with fairly quickly, but looks like an interesting read.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

30th May 2012 at 10:17 am

the doc -

Am now one with Guralnick's book on Sam Cooke. It's another huge f*cker but it's really good. He writes music-as-social-history and he does it brilliantly.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

2nd Jun 2012 at 7:36 am

Loved the fairyland book btw for those who are interested, would definitely recommend.

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1335253229l/7549772.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Jun 2012 at 8:45 am

the doc -

Am now one with Guralnick's book on Sam Cooke. It's another huge f*cker but it's really good. He writes music-as-social-history and he does it brilliantly.

Done. Excellent.

Am doing As I Lay Dying with the readers' group at work soon so going to re-read that next.

They're going to hate it, because they're retarded.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

7th Jun 2012 at 8:27 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Jun 2012

Done. Excellent.

Am doing As I Lay Dying with the readers' group at work soon so going to re-read that next.

They're going to hate it, because they're retarded.

Took my sweet time reading that and savoured every glorious word of it. Next up, Christ malory's Own Double Entry by B S Johnson.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

16th Jun 2012 at 7:03 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327981721l/7312114.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

James

| 315 posts

16th Jun 2012 at 7:17 pm

James -

I've just read Terry Pratchett's Snuff, which was even more superb than I expected.

Now I'm reading my man-crush Peter Ackroyd's first volume of his complete history of England, from prehistory up to 1509.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 12:03 pm

the doc -

I recently read Christie Malry's Own Double Entry by B S Johnson and it was absolutely wonderful. Very clever, totally irreverent, subversive as hell and absolutely f*cking hilarious to boot. Great stuff.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

27th Jun 2012 at 8:02 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173365878m/277418.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

lozmanpretzel

| 3 posts

1st Jul 2012 at 11:33 pm

Just finished reading [http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/1508/756/1600/931642/cry%20of%20the%20newborn.jpg] Was a really epic story with so many twists and turns. Just about to start reading the sequel.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Jul 2012 at 6:51 pm

the doc -

I'm on with Drop City by T.C. Boyle. Been meaning to read some of his stuff for a good few years now, and now that I am I'm wishing I'd done it sooner. What a fine, fine writer he is. Will be exploring the canon at my leisure, once I've done with this one.

James

| 315 posts

4th Jul 2012 at 7:42 pm

James -

I'm reading Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Tales by HP Lovecraft. Nowhere near as impenetrable as his reputation would suggest.

curly_cow

| 1,669 posts

7th Jul 2012 at 11:16 pm

curly_cow - make luv not war!

make luv not war!

Recently read:

The Dark is Rising Sequence - Susan Cooper

Choas Walking Trilogy - Patrick Ness

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents - Terry Pratchett

All really great reads, recommend them all
The world is quiet here.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

14th Jul 2012 at 9:40 am

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1331302131l/841288.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

25th Jul 2012 at 5:41 pm

the doc -

Feels like I haven't read anything for ages.

James

| 315 posts

7th Aug 2012 at 3:47 pm

James -

I found a book token somebody had got me for Christmas as I was moving house, so today I picked up

Alexander the Great - Philip Freeman
&
Mother Tongue - Bill Bryson.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

7th Aug 2012 at 3:50 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I need to finish Alan Partridge's book. Read most of it while waiting for the op a few weeks ago, never got back to it. Really great though. Especially love bits where he goes over things that happened on the tv series but changes details or lies to make himself come across better.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

27th Aug 2012 at 11:13 am

the doc -

Diary Of A Bad Year by J M Coetzee.

Been meaning to read some of his stuff for a long, long time and this was f*cking brilliant.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

30th Aug 2012 at 5:49 pm

the doc -

[quote="curly_cow|curly_cow|1317484588|857267|1346341364"]Quote: the doc, Aug 2012

Been meaning to read some of his stuff for a long, long time and this was f*cking brilliant.

Read his Foe, brilliant!

Is that the one that's a skit on Robinson Crusoe?

the doc

| 23,161 posts

31st Aug 2012 at 3:53 pm

the doc -

[quote="curly_cow|curly_cow|1317484588|857315|1346409509"]Quote: the doc, Aug 2012
Quote: curly_cow, Aug 2012
Quote: the doc, Aug 2012

Read his Foe, brilliant!

Yes! And it's all about authorship and the process of writing itself, which makes it very interesting.

Nice one Sabinha (sp? ). I'll see if I can get it from work when I get back.

I've got three books to read on the plane (it's an eleven hour flight and I can't sleep on planes), namely Tortilla Flat, If Beale Street Could Talk and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Read Tortilla Flat before and love it to bits, but reading it to get me in the mood for Monterey (would have taken Cannery Row but some f*cker has filched my copy again - lost count of how many of those I've been through now. Maybe I should get a really rare first edition then I'd never have to lend it to anyone again) and Steinbeck's always a glorious read regardless.

If Beale Street Could Talk is by James Baldwin, ergo there is a zero percent chance of it being anything less than brilliant. And the other one, yeah, dunno how many times I've read it but it's still not enough. Be entertaining to compare and contrast it with my trip to the city anyway. It's a fair bet that mine will contain less mescaline, although you never know your luck I guess, and it is a city of sin.....

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

2nd Sept 2012 at 8:37 am

I've just read Me Before You - Jojo Moyes, which was good.

Am now reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg. A thriller for a change of scene...
Wife of the lovely Alice

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

3rd Sept 2012 at 11:57 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

[quote="the_doc|the doc|1317484588|857319|1346428388"]Quote: curly_cow, Aug 2012
Quote: curly_cow, Aug 2012

Read his Foe, brilliant!

Yes! And it's all about authorship and the process of writing itself, which makes it very interesting.

Nice one Sabinha (sp? ). I'll see if I can get it from work when I get back.

I've got three books to read on the plane (it's an eleven hour flight and I can't sleep on planes), namely Tortilla Flat, If Beale Street Could Talk and Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Read Tortilla Flat before and love it to bits, but reading it to get me in the mood for Monterey (would have taken Cannery Row but some f*cker has filched my copy again - lost count of how many of those I've been through now. Maybe I should get a really rare first edition then I'd never have to lend it to anyone again) and Steinbeck's always a glorious read regardless.

If Beale Street Could Talk is by James Baldwin, ergo there is a zero percent chance of it being anything less than brilliant. And the other one, yeah, dunno how many times I've read it but it's still not enough. Be entertaining to compare and contrast it with my trip to the city anyway. It's a fair bet that mine will contain less mescaline, although you never know your luck I guess, and it is a city of sin.....

Curly's real name is Sabiya.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

10th Sept 2012 at 8:57 pm

Finished The Ice Princess, it was good but the translation seemed a bit awkward in places. Am now reading The Man who Rained, By Ali Shaw. Am enjoying so far.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

15th Sept 2012 at 9:51 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333214782l/10370489.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

23rd Sept 2012 at 1:54 pm

the doc -

Been reading like an animal since I came back.

Have already read King Of The Hill by A Hotchner, which is excellent and comes across as the novel Bukowski would have written at twelve years old. Also read John Barleycorn by Jack London, which I bought from City Lights in San Fran and is one of the most entertaining books about boozing I've ever had the good fortune to read.

Next up is Hard Rain Falling by Dan Carpenter, which, based on the prologue I read last night, I think I am going to love.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Oct 2012 at 6:00 pm

the doc -

That Don Carpenter one was great, hard-as-f*ck Dotoyevskian tale about a Portland sh*tkicker getting rinsed through the American penal system in the 1960s. Not sure about the ending, but much of it was magnificent.

Now reading Martin Eden by Jack London.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

6th Oct 2012 at 9:18 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1330801606l/13379921.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

11th Oct 2012 at 9:18 am

the doc -

Martin Eden turned out to be a bit of a letdown. He's a great writer, but it's another one of those struggling-writer-in-poverty-trying-to-make-good books about a sailor who decides he wants to educate himself and hang out with posh folks cos they're the fount of all civilisation. Even though this is an early example of the genre, I'm f*cking sick of reading them now and it takes a really, really great book (like Ask the Dust or Peter Camerzind or anything by Bukowksi, (obviously)) to get me interested these days. Absolutely love the last line though.

Now on with Just Above My Head by James Baldwin. Am usually highly wary of people who use pretentious words like "astonishing" and "breathtaking" in relation to writers, musicians etc, but this guy really is the sh*t. Read quite a bit by him now and every single line of it has been genuinely brilliant.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

13th Oct 2012 at 1:12 pm

Wishful Thinking - Melissa Hill
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Oct 2012 at 3:13 pm

the doc -

Did in that James Baldwin book - all six hundred pages of it - in two days. Magnificent.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

14th Oct 2012 at 7:29 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1340853882l/11940384.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

20th Oct 2012 at 4:15 pm

[http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327553644l/7781367.jpg]

I needed something lighter after the Marwood book, which was really good btw.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

4th Nov 2012 at 6:04 pm

The Girl you Left Behind - Jojo Moyes
Wife of the lovely Alice

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: