Who are your favourite writers?

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 1:49 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Aphra Behn, LM Montgomery, Adrienne Rich, Gloria Steinem and Herman Hesse. i tend to feel awkward when asked why i like people or things so i won't say why.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 2:07 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i s'pose i'd have to say Siddhartha as it was the first book by Hesse that i read. i've only read three books by him. The other two were Demian and Strange News From Another Star.

No, i didn't name Herman after him; it was the fiancé who came up with the name because Herman is a Hermann's tortoise.

Who are your favourite writers, anyroad?
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

28th Mar 2011 at 9:35 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Christopher Hitchens, I love for his snobbish sniping, the burning intelligent vitriol that pours from his pen. I generally don't care for people who think a lot of themselves, who are so assured in their opinions, but he's got the stylish elan to pull it off. I recommend: his book on Thomas Jefferson, Paine's Rights of Man, and my favourite, God is Not Great. I'm going to miss him when he goes.

Brendan Behan. Ex-IRA man who drank himself to death after writing some of the most fetchingly charismatic works in the English language. Behan's got that Hunter Thompson/Jack Kerouac factor (both of whom are favourites of mine) where after you read some of his work, you want to run out of the room and have some great experiences in your life.

Terry Pratchett. The funniest tragedy writer the world's ever seen. Pratchett believes in people, and shaped much of my worldview. Things get extremely sh*tty, but there'll be good people to try and fix the confused mess that those less able to hide their fear leave. The Sam Vimes books in particular.

Other comic writers: My avatar, Marky Mark Twain. PG Wodehouse. Douglas Adams. Oscar Wilde could be pretty funny. The fag on the crag's plays were his poetry.

James Clarence Mangan. A drunken wastrel smackhead Irish poet capable of bringing home the brutal reality of life while simultaneously composing word symphonies on the simple redemption of love/obsession. Extremely underrated prose writer who got me reading old German stuff.

Graham Greene. The quintessential British writer after D*ckens, as far as I'm concerned. All human life is there.

Bukowski, Burroughs, Baudelaire, Blake.

Lorca, Rimbaud, Shakespeare.

Bill Bryson's science book opened my eyes to the awe of the natural world in a witty way.

I like Stephen King as well.

David McCullogh's one of my favourite histtory writers. I think everyone should read his biography of John Adams.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

28th Mar 2011 at 9:46 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Three one hit wonders:

1) John McVicar's book about his time in prison is an absolute must read. His subsequent career's been spent writing cash-in books about celebrities, but this book, which was the inspiration for the classic British film starring Roger Daltrey, is one of the best about being inside.

2) My Left Foot - Christy Brown. What a great, inspiring read.

3) To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee. God, I wish she'd written more, that book is perfect.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

30th Mar 2011 at 12:15 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

- Terry Pratchett.
- Douglas Adams.
- Jasper Fforde.
- Douglas Coupland.
- Alex Garland.
- Audrey Niffenegger.
- Scarlett Thomas.
- Erlend Loe.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

30th Mar 2011 at 12:17 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

31st Mar 2011 at 11:27 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Animal, Mar 2011

Harlen Ellison and his shorts, such as I have no mouth and I must Scream a story of the last survivors of humanity, kept alive and tortured forever by the insane and highly angry AM; a supercomputer constructed by the three main factions in the last world war to run the war more efficiently for them. Plus countless more (Sadly my book collection is currently all boxed up under my bed so I am struggling to remember much more off the top of my head.)

I really like Ellison's writing. He's a bit of a pointless d*ck in real life, but in terms of imagination and tough prose, he's up there with Stephen King and Richard Matheson.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page