Summer Book Swap

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Vel

| 23,203 posts

24th Jun 2009 at 7:05 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

As my local library is hopeless, I propose we do a book swapping thing with members of VR.

Good books, not the sh*te ones you want to pawn off on everyone

And you get your own books (hopefully still in the condition that you sent them in!) back at the end.

What we do is, we post the and title blurb in this thread, and anyone who is interested signs up. They get posted in the order of signing up, and please no-one keep them for longer than 2 weeks (that should satisfy even the slowest reader plus a re-read).

What do you think?
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Animal

| 32,547 posts

24th Jun 2009 at 7:12 pm

Animal -

I'm game. Though I wont be lending too many to read myself, I don't have enough time to read fiction at the moment.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 6:57 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

This is a really great idea but I just can't read books that quickly at the minute due to having to read books for work too.
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 7:49 pm

the doc -

Excellent idea, although given our rather patchy record with postal thingumies I think a two-week turnover would be wildly optimistic!

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 8:58 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Skank, Jun 2009
As my local library is hopeless, I propose we do a book swapping thing with members of VR.

Good books, not the sh*te ones you want to pawn off on everyone

And you get your own books (hopefully still in the condition that you sent them in!) back at the end.

What we do is, we post the and title blurb in this thread, and anyone who is interested signs up. They get posted in the order of signing up, and please no-one keep them for longer than 2 weeks (that should satisfy even the slowest reader plus a re-read).

What do you think?

If this is because I still have your copy of Diary I apologise, you'll just have to invite me round when I get home so I can give it back

Paula

| 4,556 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 9:25 pm

Paula - King of Knights

King of Knights

I'm kinda temped by this, that is, if people don't mind getting books from my Supernatural Romance collection. I'm afraid my tastes have gone a bit trashy

Vel

| 23,203 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 10:40 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

And no, George. I was just thinking of the camera project.

We can do it. Any books will do. This should broaden our literary horizons.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 10:42 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Skank, Jun 2009
And no, George. I was just thinking of the camera project.

We can do it. Any books will do. This should broaden our literary horizons.

I have had it for too long though, I do apologize, I always steal your books

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

25th Jun 2009 at 11:58 pm

I Cunt Spell -

I want to play, but I think 3 weeks would be better.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

4th Jul 2009 at 8:56 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

So, nominate books to be shared by next Wednesday. Then we'll allocate an order
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

4th Jul 2009 at 9:24 pm

learrggh -

omnomnominate.

Paula

| 4,556 posts

4th Jul 2009 at 10:37 pm

Paula - King of Knights

King of Knights

Ok, for the fun of it. But if no-one wants my book tis fine

Title: Dark Desire
Author: Christine Feehan

and because I'm bloody tired and lazy I'll link you to the website instead of doing a write up

I've picked the second book in the series instead of the first because the leap in confidence between the two is staggering. Dark Prince is good but it feels too much like Feehan is just having a go at this whole writing lark and the fact that it was successful gave her the confidence boost she needed to really push her into better things

Also, my copy has the UK cover, which is miles better than the American ones

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

4th Jul 2009 at 11:05 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

I'm going for a ridiculously hard-to-read book, just for fun;

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

Blurb - Three book editors, jaded by reading far too many crackpot manuscripts on the mystic and the occult, are inspired to have some fun by an extraordinary conspiracy story told to them by a strange colonel. They start feeding random bits of information into a powerful computer capable of inventing connections between the entries, thinking they are creating nothing more than an amusing game, but then their game starts to take over, the deaths start mounting, and they are forced into a frantic search for the truth.

Most of the book makes little to no sense and is the hardest thing to follow I've ever read. And there's quotes at the start of every chapter in a variety of languages which is annoying, but still.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

6th Jul 2009 at 9:21 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I'll nominate The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas (and someone can keep it at the end, as I have two copies).

I'll type up the blurb later. I have a few others too, but they're in my Manchester flat.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

6th Jul 2009 at 9:48 pm

I Cunt Spell -

I'm out on this run as all my books are in storage.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

3rd Aug 2009 at 7:13 pm

the doc -

Quote: Sgt. James Doakes, Jul 2009
I'm going for a ridiculously hard-to-read book, just for fun;

Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco

Blurb - Three book editors, jaded by reading far too many crackpot manuscripts on the mystic and the occult, are inspired to have some fun by an extraordinary conspiracy story told to them by a strange colonel. They start feeding random bits of information into a powerful computer capable of inventing connections between the entries, thinking they are creating nothing more than an amusing game, but then their game starts to take over, the deaths start mounting, and they are forced into a frantic search for the truth.

Most of the book makes little to no sense and is the hardest thing to follow I've ever read. And there's quotes at the start of every chapter in a variety of languages which is annoying, but still.

It's not complicated, it's the thinking man's Da Vinci Code

How's this project going, then?

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page