Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Colin

| 10,038 posts

5th May 2008 at 1:17 pm

Colin -

I instantly thought of this poem:
http://www.davidpbrown.co.uk/poetry/benjamin-zephaniah-2.html
...which is awful.

I can't think of anything else right now but I'll think for a while...
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

5th May 2008 at 4:45 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Do you just want English ones or any dialect? Their Eyes Were Watching God (Zora Neale Hurston) is a good example of African-American dialects (and also incorporates folktale-like language so you get a mix of the colloquial way they spoke with the more vivid/beautiful/'literary'-sounding language. Could link with Agard also??

I'm sure Tess of the D'Urbervilles has examples of farmer-style/commoner dialect in but I may well just be imagining that...

Would Catcher in the Rye work? Although it's more individual voice than a whole dialect, but Holden definitly narrates in quite a distinctive way (as does Bridget Jones, but again, not really dialect, more an individual group of people's way of talking? Though you do get a pretty good comparison of their voices- eg Shazza and her effing and blinding, singleton, v.g, etc, compared to the more 'posh', educated voices of the lawyer/Oxbridge world, if you went in that direction.)

How about plays? Stuff like Willy Russell- Our Day Out for example? Can't think of any others offhand but there are probably quite a few examples of plays that are written in 'naturalistic'/dialect speech (oh, yeah, like Dinner by Moira Buffini, which has a northerner speaking in a 'common' dialect againt all these really posh people who think they're better than him but who are actually the ones who look like tw*ts... Very very weird play that...)

Not sure whether I'm really on track with the last lot, but hope something helps!
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

5th May 2008 at 5:35 pm

Get your Antlers on

Oooh that poem in the GCSE anthology written in a Glaswegian accent... Slagging off newsreader's accents and going on about how people were talking crap by saying that BBC English is correct (eg. some famous poet- Keats or Wordsworth- rhymed 'matter' and 'water' because of their accent, etc).

Edit- found it- Six O'Clock News by Tom Leonard. But apparently it was a different one that went on about the matter/water rhyme...

Infact, all of the anthology was about different cultures so there was quite a bit about dialect/the acceptance or non-acceptance of them in it. Must've been one dating from 2003-2006 if you want to google it? AQA. Or I could send one of you mine when I'm home if you wanted to pursue that- (I ended up with two copies of it- the plus side of having an English teacher aunt and never throwing anything out)
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

6th May 2008 at 8:52 am

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Lemony_Zester
Quote: illusiveshadow
Oooh that poem in the GCSE anthology written in a Glaswegian accent... Slagging off newsreader's accents and going on about how people were talking crap by saying that BBC English is correct (eg. some famous poet- Keats or Wordsworth- rhymed 'matter' and 'water' because of their accent, etc).

Edit- found it- Six O'Clock News by Tom Leonard. But apparently it was a different one that went on about the matter/water rhyme...

Infact, all of the anthology was about different cultures so there was quite a bit about dialect/the acceptance or non-acceptance of them in it. Must've been one dating from 2003-2006 if you want to google it? AQA. Or I could send one of you mine when I'm home if you wanted to pursue that- (I ended up with two copies of it- the plus side of having an English teacher aunt and never throwing anything out)

Unrelated Incidents...

This is thi sixaclok nuis.
An the man sed an the reason i tok wia BBC accent
is cos yu wouldnae wanna sound like wonnayuscruffs.

Something like that. Called Unrelated Incidents in our anthology.

Also, try https://mailman.rice.edu/pipermail/sasialit/2000-August/003418.html

Oops, sorry- for some reason I read yours as short story in the anthology not poem. Belt oop, Amy, belt oop.

Oh yeah, Ben Elton's another one who does dialects, etc, but he's almost always taking the p*ss out of everything so they're pretty satirical.

Wow, that version of Search... is so different to the anthology one?!

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th May 2008 at 8:03 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: the_doc
For Scots, Sir Walter Scott and Robert Burns are the glaringly obvious ones. The archetypal example of something written in dialect is Huckleberry Finn, which was actually written as a satire on the dialects of the deep South in the States. I think Toni Morrison does that kind of thing as well (in an African-American dialect, although it definitely isn't satirical in her case). I'm sure there's loads, loads more, I'll have a think and get back to you on it tomorrow if I can.

Although the kind of Scots you'd find in Trainspotting is somewhat different from the Scots of Burns or Scott. Irvine Welsh is good for a few Scots dialects, actually; his short story "Kingdom of Fife", in the collection "If You Liked School, You'll Love Work" is good for, astonishingly, the Fife dialect.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

7th May 2008 at 10:59 am

Get your Antlers on

Yeah I should do, 3 if you include my sister's. But yeah, won't be back at home for a while yet anyway so just let me know whenever

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

7th May 2008 at 7:48 pm

TinyShine -

You could try 'The Colour Purple' by Alice Walker, which is in an African American dialect throughout the book, as chapters tend to be letters or diary entries.

Sarah xx

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

7th May 2008 at 10:54 pm

Get your Antlers on

While it is a good example of dialect OH MY GOD I HATE THAT BOOK. With the exception of Shug's (I think) views on God and religion, I cannot stand the thing...

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

8th May 2008 at 9:36 am

TinyShine -

I don't like it either but just providing an example !

Sarah xx

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

8th May 2008 at 1:51 pm

Get your Antlers on

I wonder if there is anybody out there who does... I don't think I've ever met anyone who thinks it's any good at all!!

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

9th May 2008 at 8:57 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: illusiveshadow
I wonder if there is anybody out there who does... I don't think I've ever met anyone who thinks it's any good at all!!

I know someone who did it for Higher English because they enjoyed it. Couldn't really get into it myself, though. Catch-22 for the win.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page