Plays, drama and stuff like that

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

30th Apr 2008 at 12:47 pm

the doc -

Just thought this kinda thread might be warranted for those who may wish to discuss such things, although the whole poetry board seems pretty much dead these days so I'm not too hopeful.

I'm not massively into plays to be honest, although I love Shakespeare (except the history plays - and Shakespeare almost doesn't count as drama for me in a funny way, I read a lot of it as poetry), Pinter and Beckett when it comes to the English stuff, and from over the pond it would be all about Tennessee Williams if it weren't for Eugene O' Neill. In my humblest of opinions he's the greatest dramatist of the twentieth century. Long Day's Journey into Night has its adherents and it is indeed a wonderful bit of work, but for me The Iceman Cometh is the king of them all. It's darker than a thousand midnights with nary a hint of redemption in sight, but I love it to bits.

Anyone else into such things?

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

30th Apr 2008 at 10:29 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I adore Tennesse Williams. The Glass Menagerie probably being my favourite, to be a cliché, it's just wonderful and so beautifully written. Saw it in London for my birthday last year and they did it so well as well...

Also really like Arthur Miller, though I think that's a lot to do with his being my first real introduction into plays beyond Our Day Out and Shakespeare. But yeah, quite a fan of A View From the Bridge and All My Sons in particular.

Oh and did Zoo Story (Edward Albee) as part of my degree last term, was brilliant. I should really read his other stuff...

Embarassingly, the only Pinter play I've seen is Landscape and I hate to say that I really didn't like it. I think it's the Pinter pauses that p*ss me off- I'm not a huge fan of anything that likes to remind you that you're watching a play (don't even get me started on Brecht...)

I can't think of a modern English play I really like offhand except for Woman In Black, though I think that was more to do with the fact that the staging scared me sh*tless when I saw it rather than it being incredibly written. Besides, wasn't Beckett Irish Though obviously love the good oldies'- Shakespeare, Marlowe (prefer him to Shakespeare because I'm a commoner and like the blood/gore), 'Tis Pity She's a Wh*re (Ford), etc. I think I'm fast becoming a bit of a Renaissance geek...

Yeah there's my shockingly uneducated views on drama (I should really know more... :S)

Ask me about musicals, however... (Hey, it's 'musical theatre, it counts... kinda... Except anything by Lloyd Webber which actually comes under the title of Utter Sh*t. Anyway)
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st May 2008 at 8:40 am

the doc -

Beckett was, of course, Irish, I think I meant to type British when I posted it :-[. He was James Joyce's secretary to boot, not a bad way to commence a literary career. In terms of Pinter, have a look at The Birthday Party, his first play and probably his best, really menacing, that one. For sexual politics, The Homecoming is excellent as well..........

I'd like to have a little ramble about Arthur Miller, but I've only just got up and me noggin's a bit frazzled so i might leave that one for later

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page