Click Here, Earn Love

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

28th Feb 2008 at 12:31 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

So I thought I had bloody ages until my creative writing portfolio had to be in. But then I was reminded that it's in on the 5th May which seems ages away now, but I'll also have 4 essays and an exam to revise for for a week later. Which means I need to start tuning up my pieces now/ writing a commentary for them.

Anyway, seeing as the more feedback the better (and nobody's said anything about NOT putting stuff on the Internet for feedback) I'd really appreciate it if people could give some feedback on some of the stuff I've written so far.

It's all prose, so a bit long to post here, so instead it's all over here. The Kiss is the one I think I'm most likely to use, though I'd then need another 1000 words from somewhere...

But yeah, any feedback would be much appreciated! (I realise I haven't been exactly active on this board so asking for help is a bit rich... But hoping you'll look past that and I'll try and be more active in future/ will review in return. God I sound like a right writing ho...)
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

28th Feb 2008 at 3:41 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

I'd have to agree with Doc; The Morning After is a fine, very terse piece of descriptive writing, I felt there was an underlay of wonderfully jaded bitterness to the description, but I was underwhelmed by The Kiss, mostly because I knew exactly what was going to happen half way though. The minute Alison says that her dad "never got over her", my mind immediately thought of what Sophie had said earlier, and the simple fact that in a short story, no dialogue or action shown is unlikely to be coincidental or irrelevant, led me to uncover the rest of the story before I'd even read it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a terrible piece of writing, but since the plotting is rather transparent it doesn't hold the interest particularly well.

(A minor quibble: Alison notes that "She liked to refer to me as Alison". As opposed to what? It is her name, after all, and at this point it's fairly obvious that they are fairly well acquainted with one another, so it's unlikely she would refer to a more formal title. I'm sorry, it just stuck in my mind and annoyed me.)

Edited by Freshly Squeezed Cynic Feb 2008

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

28th Feb 2008 at 4:57 pm

Get your Antlers on

Quote: fsc

(A minor quibble: Alison notes that "She liked to refer to me as Alison". As opposed to what? It is her name, after all, and at this point it's fairly obvious that they are fairly well acquainted with one another, so it's unlikely she would refer to a more formal title. I'm sorry, it just stuck in my mind and annoyed me.)

Fair point, will look into reworking that.

Thanks for the comments so far, much appreciated. I prefer The Morning After (which seriously needs a title rework but never mind) myself, especially the wriitng style, but the other seemed to get better feedback from the class so I've been left confused. Hmm, currently wondering whether The Kiss would be better reworked as a script of a similar wordcount, and then there'd be a couple of different types of pieces in the portfolio. Decisions...
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

29th Feb 2008 at 5:22 pm

Get your Antlers on

Hahaha, you most definitely have, thanks a lot- tis very much appreciated!! I'm also glad you got the point of Winter Wonderland, some people thought the narrator was the rapist and it was just like 'nooooo, definitely NOT what I was after!'

Anyway, to show my appreciation have...

a bookshop of your very own with a fully stocked alcohol cabinet (pretend the brands on there are half decent) and some cookies. Yeah.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

17th Apr 2008 at 3:12 pm

Get your Antlers on

Oooook, here's another one... Too indulgent, too wordy/descriptive? Or OK? I was told to definitly put the bit now labelled as 'prologue' in my portfolio, but I haven't handed in the other two sections so have nooooo idea what to think of them. Except I know I quite like the very last few sentences of it, but apart from that...

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1415007

Oh and I was also told to put the Winter Wonderland piece in, if people wanted to know.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

22nd Apr 2008 at 1:39 pm

Get your Antlers on

Thanks a lot Yeah, I was doing the qualifying thing then took them out hoping it would make it better, so glad it does!! Will go through and get some of those adjectives sorted as well.

I don't have a great deal of personal experience on the subject; our deputy head/ maths teacher from GCSE/ general amazing person was diagnosed with it/died as a result during sixth form, so it feels like a slightly personal topic even though it's not really. But yeah, I've been googling blogs and e-mailing MND foundation and stuff like that, so I'm hoping the time-frames and the thoughts are a little bit accurate...

I'll be getting more feedback on Friday so after I've done some more work on it I might send a PM or something if that's alright??

Thanks again

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

9th May 2008 at 4:18 pm

Get your Antlers on

Ta both of you...

So it's coming up to Final Deadline Day (ohnoes!) and I've done some serious editing and blah of the pieces, the bits as they stand now here.

The problem being I'm not entirely sure what to choose. So if you have a spare hour over the weekend to read and give feedback and opinions then that would be fab (have e-mailed my tutor but imagine everyone else has done the same so might take a while for him to reply, if he gets a chance at all so trying to get a general consensus *just in case*)

Erlack. Deadlines are too stressful.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

10th May 2008 at 11:29 pm

Get your Antlers on

Thank you! This is the last time I'm asking, promise (well... until next year if I get a half decent mark in this anyway )

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: