Over-rated/Under-rated/?

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

19th Oct 2007 at 9:09 am

TinyShine -

Just to start some conversation...

What authors/books does everyone think are under-rated or over-rated?

To start things off, I think Zadie Smith is incredibly over-rated. I don't want to be mean, but the multi-award winning 'On Beauty' had a weak story line, stereotypical characters and an air of pretentiousness (is that a word?!) I was disappointed, after reading such rave reviews.

Sarah xx

the doc

| 23,161 posts

19th Oct 2007 at 9:49 am

the doc -

Couldn't agree more on Zadie Smith.

Ah man i'm gonna have a field day on this one when i can, although my friend tried to chuck himself under a car yesterday so i really need to try and get him sorted out before i do..........

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

19th Oct 2007 at 9:58 am

TinyShine -

Oo dear, that's not good- Sorry to hear that Stu Yep, I think that should be your main priority! Hope he is ok (and you, too),

Sarah xx

the doc

| 23,161 posts

19th Oct 2007 at 4:08 pm

the doc -

Just a quickie - it went down like a sack of sh*t with the girls at Uni, this, I once had to defend myself against a whole class full of them, but I think Toni Morrison is hugely overrated. Nobel Prize my a*se, she won it because they needed a black female writer to give it to in the wake of the LA riots and she was the only half decent one around. She's not bad per se but she is nowhere near as good as she's made out to be. If I want to read William Faulkner, I'll read William Faulkner ta very much, and if I want to read William Faulkner writter by a woman, I'll read Flannery O' Connor or Carson Macullers, both of whom are infintely superior to Toni Morrison in just about every way imaginable.

Quote:
air of pretentiousness (is that a word?!)
I think the correct term would be 'an air of pretension' although i stand to be corrected

Edited by the doc Oct 2007

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

19th Oct 2007 at 4:29 pm

Roxannie -

Overrated- Sarah Webb. Why has this woman won awards? why?! If I start a book I always try to finish it but in the case of one of her books that I took on holiday, I couldn't bring myself to read past the first couple of chapters. There was so much needless stuff that needed to be edited out; details of who had gone home early, and who was transporting the others instead etc. I DON'T CARE. Also, odd attempts to make it interesting by putting in needless stuff about characters remembering some time when they had had sex. The woman phails at writing about sex.
Give me some Wendy Holden any day. She may be a shameless writer of trash, but I love it.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Oct 2007 at 4:20 pm

the doc -

I've always found Herman Hesse to be......underrated is the wrong word, but under-exposed is probably about right. he started off as a kinda standard German romantic novelist, but then he got heavily into Eastern philosophy under the influence of Jung and the painter Paul Klee, started writing mystical books like Siddhartha, Journey to the East and Steppenwolf.......the writing is wonderful, so sparse and pure, and the philosophy is so beautifully uncomplicated, it's like Steinbeck on Buddhist pills or something.......he won the nobel prize but was largely unappreciated until he was picked up by the Counter-culture in the 60s, then he faded from view again. I urge you all to give it a go if you can find any of his stuff, he really was a supremely taltented man.

I put some of his poems in the poetry thread and they're wonderful too

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Oct 2007 at 7:31 pm

the doc -

Overrated: Paul Auster. I know loads of people that are absolutely mad on him, one of me mates kept banging on and on about Mister Vertigo, couldn't believe it when I read it and told him it bored the face off me. So he kept flinging these Paul Auster books at me in the vain hope I'd come round to his way of thinking, I read about four of them then threw me hands up in despair and said, dude, no more, it's terrible!

For anyone not familiar, New York Trilogy was the better one of the ones I've read, but even then the ending was blatantly obvious from about halfway through. Self-indulgent, self-conscious rubbish. Boo!

(I have many more people in my sights -yes, I'm talking about you, Martin Amis, mwahahahahaha! - but I don't wanna shoot me bolt too early. This is a great idea for a thread considering how many people like to read, why's no one posting in it?)

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

22nd Oct 2007 at 9:42 pm

leftthisplace28-12-07 - Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

I havent added to this thread because I'm a bit shy of my opinions really, but I cant stand D*ckens. I like the films based on Oliver but I dont like D*ckens. Cant really expand on my reasoning there though.
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

22nd Oct 2007 at 10:36 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

William King is very under-rated, mainly as no-one I know has ever heard of him.

But he writes some awesome fantasy books.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 2:39 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Nathanuel Hawthorne's 'The Scarlett Letter' comes up EVERYWHERE and I really don't understand it. How can a book where the sentences are pages long (seriously...), that preaches, that's pretentious and is just generally really unreadable be considered such a classic? Ugh...
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

the doc

| 23,161 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 2:45 pm

the doc -

where the sentences are pages long

That's naturalism for you! See Henry James for more of this. Terrible stuff (I've never read The Scarlett Letter by the way).

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 5:32 pm

Get your Antlers on

Don't bother. If I hadn't had to read it for AS levels then I don't think I'd've bothered past chapter 1... Waste of many, many weeks...
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 5:34 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Woolf. Fecking boring!
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 7:39 pm

the doc -

Agreed. Although Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf? by Edward Albee is a fine, funny play which should be read by anyone with even a slight interest in modern American drama

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 10:10 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Quote: the_doc
Agreed.  Although Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf? by Edward Albee is a fine, funny play which should be read by anyone with even a slight interest in modern American drama  

I agree with this, it's an excellent play.

And Henry James is awful, just AWFUL.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 11:35 pm

Get your Antlers on

Albee wrote that?? I KNEW I recognised the name on the reading list from somewhere (doing "Zoo Story" in a couple of weeks so hopefully along the same lines of greatness). *Is a failure as English student*

the doc

| 23,161 posts

23rd Oct 2007 at 11:38 pm

the doc -

Zoo Story's really good as well, Albee was a decent playwright. He was no Eugene O' Neill, like, but then again no one was..........

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

24th Oct 2007 at 11:53 am

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

In my opinion Angela Carter is under-rated. If I hadn't studied her for my English A level and degree, I'd never have discovered her. She only really got some of the recognition she deserved after her death unfortunately.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

26th Oct 2007 at 11:00 am

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Douglas Adams is sort of under-rated, I think. - All his books are really funny and smart, but also they are really beautiful too. - They are simple and complicated all at once, I think.

Also, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is under-rated too - it is lots like "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell, but everything is really shallow and selfish instead of scary and intimidating. It was written before 1984 too.

Lots of childrens' books are under-rated too, I think - "The Wind in the Willows" and "Alice in wonderland" and "Tom's Midnight Garden" are have lots of ideas about how changes and new things are really scary, and also they have lots of jokes and satirical things too.

:-[

Edited by Little Blue Fox. Oct 2007
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

26th Oct 2007 at 9:04 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Little_Blue_Fox
Also, "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is under-rated too - it is lots like "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell, but everything is really shallow and selfish instead of scary and intimidating. It was written before 1984 too.

Tsch, that's the way it goes with sci-fi in general; excellent writers get cast in that "oh, it's not real literature" kind of snobbery, (kind of the same with children's books as well) which means that good literature gets sidelined, and brilliant authors have to be four times as brilliant as your ordinary writer to be thought half as good.

On that note, totally underrated is the completely awesome sci-fi/fantasy author China Miéville; Here's a short story of his, but it doesn't even begin to show the sheer awesomeness of the guy.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

27th Oct 2007 at 10:39 am

leftthisplace28-12-07 - Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Zoo Story's really good as well, Albee was a decent playwright.  He was no Eugene O' Neill, like, but then again no one was..........

I havent even heard of these people..
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

27th Oct 2007 at 5:38 pm

Quote: Sebastian_Flyte
Zoo Story's really good as well, Albee was a decent playwright. He was no Eugene O' Neill, like, but then again no one was..........

I havent even heard of these people..

Then you Fail.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Oct 2007 at 5:34 pm

the doc -

With reference to the above, i don't think Brave New World is underrated at all, it stands alongside 1984 as the definitive dystopian novel, i don't think it's any less well-known at all........

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

28th Oct 2007 at 5:39 pm

Carpet Remnant -

It is, in that everyone has heard of 1984 and merely lots and lots and lots of people have heard of brave new world. (I'm not one of the lots and lots and lots of people who have heard of brave new world :-[)

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Oct 2007 at 5:47 pm

the doc -

That's not the same as being underrated.........and it's an insanely popular book, it's as much of a standard as 1984 is

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

28th Oct 2007 at 5:49 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Yeah I know but I think David James meant that Brave new world should be as well known as 1984 because it's just as good. But it's not.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Oct 2007 at 7:25 pm

the doc -

As i said though, as far as I'm concerned it is as well known.....it's a standard text!

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

28th Oct 2007 at 7:33 pm

Carpet Remnant -

yeah but as far as the general populace are concerned, it isn't as well known :p

My 12 year old brother has heard of 1984, he has no idea what a brave new world is. I expect it's the case with many people his age.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

29th Oct 2007 at 12:07 pm

Hope is important.

Quote: Walter
Yeah I know but I think David James meant that Brave new world should be as well known as 1984 because it's just as good. But it's not.

Yes. - Lots of 1984 things are really famous (Thought Police and Room 101), but Brave New World is not mentioned so much, I think.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

29th Oct 2007 at 12:12 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Walter

Yes. - Lots of 1984 things are really famous (Thought Police and Room 101), but Brave New World is not mentioned so much, I think.

No need to :-[ man, you're right in my opinion.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

30th Oct 2007 at 4:33 pm

Hope is important.

Lots of childrens' books are under-rated too, I think - "The Wind in the Willows" and "Alice in wonderland" and "Tom's Midnight Garden" are have lots of ideas about how changes and new things are really scary, and also they have lots of jokes and satirical things too. :-[

Also, "Peter Pan and wendy" by JM Barrie is really under-rated too, I think - it is really dark and sad and tragic. - It is not like pantominesa and Disey movies so much, I think.
It is sort of about JM Barrie a tiny bit, I think.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

8th Nov 2007 at 4:24 pm

Hope is important.

Robert Rankin and Tom Holt are sort of over-rated, I think - they are sort of like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams and Jasper Fforde, but they are not so funny and smart and emotional and creative, I think.
I read "Snow White and the Seven Samurai" by Tom Holt because the front cover really looked like my friend Carolyn (here), and also "You do not have to be evil to work here, but it helps" too - it is a really neat idea! But I did not like them so much. :-[

Also, I think Carl Hiaasen is over-rated too - I really wanted to read all his books because he influenced Christopher Brookmyre, but he is really boring and slow.

I am sorry I am really horrible and mean. :-[

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

8th Nov 2007 at 7:42 pm

Also, I think Carl Hiaasen is over-rated too - I really wanted to read all his books because he influenced Christopher Brookmyre, but he is really boring and slow.

Carl Hiassen's not bad - did you read Sick Puppy or Lucky You? Two of his best, in my opinion. If you want another good comedy thriller writer, though, Colin Bateman's always worth a go - Divorcing Jack and Shooting Sean being my personal favourites.

Also it goes without saying that Christopher Brookmyre is the man. What's your favourite one?

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

8th Nov 2007 at 7:46 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Christopher Brookmyre is the man, I need to read more.
My favourite being one fine day in the middle of the night.
I realise your question was directed at DJ but I love any opportunity to shout out my love for mr Brookmyre.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

8th Nov 2007 at 7:51 pm

Quote: Clap_Your_Hands_Say_Bear
Christopher Brookmyre is the man, I need to read more.
My favourite being one fine day in the middle of the night.
I realise your question was directed at DJ but I love any opportunity to shout out my love for mr Brookmyre.

F*ck yeah. OFDITMOTN is pretty damn class, but for my money, my favourite is the terrorism-as-the-new-rock-n-roll blockbuster, A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away. Partially that's because of the vivid depictions of student life that seem so close to home, partially the games geekiness, partially because of Lobey Dosser, ya bas.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

8th Nov 2007 at 8:00 pm

Carpet Remnant -

ohhhh, I was torn between OFDITMOTN and a big boy. One fine day did it for me cause of the whole die hard edge to it and it was the first brookmyre I read. A big boy did it is pretty damn close though. As is country of the blind. Wasn't overly keen on the sacred art of stealing, specially as it was kind of a follow up to a big boy.

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

8th Nov 2007 at 10:54 pm

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

...says the least mean person ever
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

12th Nov 2007 at 12:47 pm

Hope is important.

Quote: Dr_Strangelove

Also it goes without saying that Christopher Brookmyre is the man. What's your favourite one?

I really like "The Sacred Art of Stealing" - the beginning in the bank is really cool, and all the characters are really different and sweet. also, I really like "One fine day in the middle of the night" and "Be my enemy" too.

Quote: Rawr

...says the least mean person ever

:-[ I should not write about things I do not like. I should try to recomend things and write about all the things I think are really amazing instead.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

13th Nov 2007 at 8:57 pm

David-James, do you actually p*ss sugar? I'm just wondering, it seems entirely possible after all.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

16th Nov 2007 at 11:31 am

Hope is important.

It would be really sticky.

It is really silly lots of reviews and forums and, like, The Void, and lots of things are really complainy and spiteful, but they do not write about all the things they think are good at-all.

"Accidentally, I,
charm you and tell you,
of all the boys I hate,
all the girls I hate,
all the words I hate,
all the clothes I hate,
and how I'll never be anything I hate,
you smile,
mention something that you like,
oh, how you'd have a happy life,
if you did the things you like".

Oh gosh - I am sorry I am really preachy - I do not liek lots and lots of things too. :-[

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

17th Nov 2007 at 5:02 pm

David-James, marry me. I think you'd be a good influence on my life.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

20th Nov 2007 at 3:17 pm

Hope is important.

Quote: Spider_Jerusalem

David-James, marry me. I think you'd be a good influence on my life.

Ok!

Please can we not invite Uncle Jacob - he is really rude and handsy.

Also, thank you for recommending Colin Bateman books - I borrowed "Belfast Confidential" in the library today.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page