Essential Reads?!

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 4:55 pm

TinyShine -

Just wondered what books everyone considers to be essential reads and why?

I'll put mine up when I don't have an essential disertation to write !

Sarah xx

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 5:54 pm

Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov.
I adore this book and consider it to be 'essential reading.' Its as weird as hell and will upset you, yet you'll find you're sympathising with a man who doesn't deserve it.You end up pitying a paedophile and laughing along at his sheer madness, humour and intelligence.Its an unsettling experience to say the least, but that is exactly what makes it so great for me.Its a wonderfully written novel and one of the greatest I've ever read- and I've read a lot.Poor Humbert Humbert.

Big nose strikes again

| 2,343 posts

4th Feb 2007 at 7:25 pm

The wrong boy - Willy Russel. F*cking hilarious book.

"But I was wasting my breath so I shut up and let him laugh. What can you say to a Philistine who's into Phil Collins and Dire Straits and other such frivolity? I've got my Walkman on now so at least I can't hear him laughing. The only saving grace in having a lift from him is that he's so fat he makes me feel really thin. It's not that I'm obese or anything, not any more, Morrissey. But even though I'm not fat nowadays, I sometimes forget and still think of myself as being corpulent. And I hate having to look at pictures of me when I was fat. Photographs are just like computers - they never tell the truth. It's like that picture of Oscar Wilde, Morrissey, you know the one where he's got those boots on and he's leaning against that wall. And if that was the only surviving picture of Oscar Wilde everybody'd think he was a fat person, wouldn't they? But Oscar Wilde wasn't fat, not on the inside. And I wasn't fat, not on the inside, I wasn't. It was just a phase I was going through. And probably it was just a phase that Oscar Wilde was going through and he couldn't help it just like I couldn't help it. They used to call me Moby D*ck! When we moved to Wythenshawe and they put me in that comprehensive school where I didn't know nobody and it was already the middle of term by the time I started, I walked into the classroom and Steven Spanswick looked up and said, 'F*ckin' hell, it's Moby D*ck!'

And everybody in the classroom started laughing, even the teacher!"
[

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

5th Feb 2007 at 2:42 am

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre... It's been my favourite book for 15 years now. Nuff said

Aras

| 1,774 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 1:59 am

Aras - Charmed I'm sure

Charmed I'm sure

"The world according to Garp" by John Irving.

A truely amazing book. Complex, emotive and many other words a professional book critic (which I am not) would use.
She isn't in love...she's merely insane!

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 2:09 pm

I'd like to recommend Jenny Colgan's Do You Remember The First Time?

It left me feeling warm and fuzzy.

JTP

| 32 posts

8th Feb 2007 at 2:35 pm

JTP - Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Good topic. I presume you want fiction books/novels.

I recommend the following:

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest - Ken Kesey
Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger
Ulysses - James Joyce
The Waves, To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
Unbearable lightness of being - Milan Kundera
Nausea - J P Sartre
The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
Anything by Jorge Lois Borges

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

9th Feb 2007 at 12:38 am

Organised Confusion -

The Woman in White and The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Explain why when I'm awake

the doc: Ah man, it was weeks ago. Ah well. If you drop by again, send us a quick PM and let us know how you're doing. I'd love to hear from you. I'm all grown up with kids and everything. Madness.
Luco El Loco: Greetings and salutations for anyone passing through.
SayNotAWord: Does this thing still work?
SayNotAWord: Oh good - I ended up here at the end of a Mega Zine nostalgia rabbit hole
SayNotAWord: Nice to see there's still life in this glorious old place
SayNotAWord: It's ya boy, Parsley Possum
Luco El Loco: Hello
Emma: EVERYBODY DANCE NOW.
Luco El Loco: Wow I haven't heard that one in a while.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: I was in the shower and "Fluff The Evil One" randomly floated through my mind so I thought I'd stop by, hi 'ziners!
Captain Spiky: Considering I haven't been on this site for over a decade, I find it mildly terrifying that I still have an average of 1.71 posts per day...
Captain Spiky: I miss this place... Much loveage to anybody reading this x
Graham: Passing through, hope you beautiful lot are doing well!
Rayanne Graff: Bye; peace to small Christmas trees.
Cooder: HIYA!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Friday night just thinkin' about sharing jaffa cakes with WLW... <3
Maeby: Almost 4 years. Where did the time go?
Cooder: Time flies Alice.
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Peace to small Christmas trees.

Page: