0 post members

Posted In: FAQ. Reading This Thread:

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

20th Jan 2008 at 5:39 pm

Roxannie -

I know this subject has come up before, and slowly died, but about half of the people who've registered on VR have never posted.
I think the reason they didn't all get deleted was because some of them might be merry merry lurkers, but maybe everyone who registered before 2007 could be deleted. I doubt that anyone would lurk for a year and never post anything (but if you have, please make it known now!).
Perhaps people with less than 5 posts, all before 2007 could go as well? there's an awful lot of those too.
It's nice to have the birthdays thing up on the front page, but it's a bit irritating that so few of them are proper VRers' birthdays. Going through the members trying to find people whose name you can't remember is also a painus in the anus because of all the unused accounts.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Jan 2008 at 5:52 pm

Animal -

Doubt this will be happening for two reasons.

Database f*ckups can easily be caused due to it.

Secondly, it also makes the site look fairly healthy, if we cut back on all but the accounts registered in the past 12 months we'd lose a hell of a f*ck load of accounts

Who is to decide who should and shouldn't be deleted. How would you feel if you registered an account somewhere, visited infrequently and commented little if at all, to visit it one day only to find your account has been deleted.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

20th Jan 2008 at 6:01 pm

Roxannie -

If I registered somewhere a year ago or more and never used the account, I really wouldn't care if it got deleted.
I've done that on one forum that I can remember, and haven't been on it since I registered a couple of years ago.

I can see that database problems would be likely though, what with all the little glitches that make VR special.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

20th Jan 2008 at 7:32 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

I don't think they should go anywhere, aside from the birthdays it's not doing any harm at all, and if you're a regular you know who isn't and who's birthday to disregard. Basically what 'Ren says.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 10:40 am

John Cage Bubblegum -

Quote: Lilac_Leopard
I don't think they should go anywhere, aside from the birthdays it's not doing any harm at all, and if you're a regular you know who isn't and who's birthday to disregard. Basically what 'Ren says.

Word up, G.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 10:51 am

Roxannie -

I was searching for something a couple of days ago and I had to go through all of the member names to find the user to search for stuff by them.
Now I can't type in the "by user" field and the thing for searching for the user seems to have gone so now I'm very confused. But when I did go through 5 pages of C names to find the one I wanted, I got annoyed.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 11:27 am

I can understand that, I've been through it meself but we don't know the effect of getting rid of that amount of data, so if the choice is VR or easier searching, VR wins.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 1:26 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

The search function is far beyond me though.

I've still never found that thread where we all wrote a story about a time travelling detective, which That Thing then made about Sonic.

it was good.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Colin

| 10,038 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 1:39 pm

Colin -

There's Search, and then there's Strawberry.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Claire

| 15,814 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 2:37 pm

Yeah the search is confusing. Sometimes it's easier, if you know the general time the thread was about, to look by hand. I don't think it's anything Andrew can make too many changes to even if he wanted to, which he probably doesn't having gone on hiatus again

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

21st Jan 2008 at 10:24 pm

Quote: The_Educatedwombat

I've still never found that thread where we all wrote a story about a time travelling detective, which That Thing then made about Sonic.

it was good.

This?
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

JM

| 8,289 posts

22nd Jan 2008 at 2:22 am

Quote: girlpants

Secondly, it also makes the site look fairly healthy, if we cut back on all but the accounts registered in the past 12 months we'd lose a hell of a f*ck load of accounts

I suppose i have to agree with the first point since i don't know the exact workings of the site.

What is the point in keeping a load of members and pretending we are healthy though? Personally, i'd get rid of all the no post members tomorrow. It's no use pretending this site is filled with people when we have only about 150 people, if that, who regularly contribute to the site. Obviously, it seems we can't do this for technical reasons, but i think my point still stands.

P.S I love kicking up a fuss after several beers at the pub Please don't bite me.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

22nd Jan 2008 at 2:04 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Quote: Dr_Namgge
Quote: The_Educatedwombat

it was good.

This?

Yeah actually!

I've been looking for that for AGES. Thanks That Thing
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Animal

| 32,547 posts

24th Jan 2008 at 9:47 am

Animal -

Quote: Junior_Minister
Quote: girlpants

I suppose i have to agree with the first point since i don't know the exact workings of the site.

What is the point in keeping a load of members and pretending we are healthy though? Personally, i'd get rid of all the no post members tomorrow. It's no use pretending this site is filled with people when we have only about 150 people, if that, who regularly contribute to the site.
Easy.

To paraphrase Andy, it makes VR have one of the biggest userbases for a website of this type. (Ie, no real subject matter as such, just a community forum.) Which ultimately makes us look f*cking ace.

Granted, we may only have about 100 - 150 active members, but I'd say thats kinda on par with the normal signup/usage levels for most forums.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

JM

| 8,289 posts

24th Jan 2008 at 11:03 pm

I don't think it does make us look ace though!   it just looks like people sign up and then leave before posting. I'm willing to overlook all of this if you donate £1.75 to my paypal account though 

Animal

| 32,547 posts

24th Jan 2008 at 11:07 pm

Animal -

I shall do this. Right after you pay my fees for using an idea to gain money by charging an 'overlook' fee on forums which I patented last month.

Cycling Antics

JM

| 8,289 posts

24th Jan 2008 at 11:24 pm

I remember the celebrtations when we had nearly reached 1000 members - only for that person not to post anything

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page