Analrapist.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

10th Aug 2014 at 8:34 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: Maeby, Aug 2014
Hi all,

I'm sorry to have to tell you this way, but James was found dead this afternoon at 4:20.

I'll update people about funeral details as soon as possible.

A.

Thanks for telling us.

Also, RIP to James/ Loony. i admired him for what he did for VR.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

11th Aug 2014 at 3:21 am

Jewbacca -

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

11th Aug 2014 at 9:27 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Stu, I don't think we can be sure what happened to him at this point, it's far from conclusive.
Analrapist.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

11th Aug 2014 at 9:48 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Quote: the doc, Aug 2014
Quote: Tobias Fünke , Aug 2014
Stu, I don't think we can be sure what happened to him at this point, it's far from conclusive.

Duly noted. Have deleted my original post. I'll reiterate the second part of the post though: awful news, and sincere condolences to those who knew him well. Like I said, I only met him once or twice but he seemed like a proper stand-up guy.

Absolutely right.
Analrapist.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

12th Aug 2014 at 3:25 am

Jewbacca -

After one night of drinking when I stayed over at Jamesdy's flat in Manchester I had fallen asleep on his couch while he was typing away at the computer. A few hours later I woke up and he was still typing away, now manically, while sipping a coffee. I asked him what was up and he said he was working on something for VR, but it was almost like he was in a trance and I was baffled as to what he could possibly be doing that didn't require the slightest ounce of sobriety. After the update went live I realised it was probably these:

[http://vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/878253.gif]

Obviously he added more at a later date and even dumped them into a thread where we could submit our own, but a good chunk of them (a majority?) are still the direct manic thoughts that fell from his head on nights like that. I'm sat at work today just clicking through them... "How many bricks did it take to build Machester?" "Is everybody panicing properly yet?" "First, measure your dog". "Manly nose and chin". "Radioactive bukkake jam".

Although that night/morning he was a bit of a crazy man, I was nothing other than impressed. In my mind that night he was a guy who was able to get sh*t done, even (what I assumed at the time to be) complex coding of a website while he was intoxicated. He was someone I aspired to be more like and I'm not just saying that. His ability to get sh*t done, his charm and approachability with the ladies, his tactics and success rate at 'pulling', his commitment to perfect form in exercises, his high score on my Powerball that I was never able to beat, his chess skills. I was going to include his ability to quote Metal Gear Solid but I think we were on a par there. These are all things I loved about the guy though and it's upsetting now that my stupid reservedness meant that my last messages to him were all "hey dude" and "check out this cool thing" and "yeah man you should come visit" rather than a genuine heartfelt outpouring which might have meant a bit more to him. He will live on in all of us, not only in our memories but also in the ways we have changed as a direct result of knowing him.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

12th Aug 2014 at 4:33 am

Jewbacca -

Quote: Maeby, Aug 2014

Laura is making a group; here is the preliminary page: http://gogetfunding.com/project/james-aitken-s-funeral

For those of you with OCD this is only a tenner away from £1,000...

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

12th Aug 2014 at 6:25 am

Jewbacca -

I just wonder what radioactive bukakke jam would be like... 1/3 delicious, at least?

Quote: Animal, Aug 2014

Used to slip back home over lunch to get another 30 minutes in.

I shall be doing that in honour of him when 5 is released next year

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

21st Aug 2014 at 3:42 pm

Jewbacca -

I've set the time in my phone and will have a moment of silence

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

2nd Sept 2014 at 9:08 pm

River Phoenix

Quote: Maeby, Sept 2014
We had Strawberry!

No longer part of the invisible VRers club (sorry that it took me a while to figure out what you'd said and who you were, Strawberry... I was a bit out of it!).

And thanks, Stu

Don't worry about it; it's understandable that you felt out of it.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

12th Aug 2015 at 4:09 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Maeby, Aug 2015
One year.

Crazy to think it's been a year...

Hope all of ye who knew him are doing okay. Best wishes to you all.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

10th Aug 2016 at 7:19 pm

River Phoenix

Thinking of you, Loony. xx

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page