7th Mar 2010 at 11:32 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Samurai Hedgehog.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

17th Mar 2010 at 8:05 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Can't believe I've only just seen this thread. The place to start would be 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong. You should be able to find it for less than a tenner (assuming you don't just download it of course) and gives a good overview over a frankly ridiculous back catalogue.

In terms of studio albums I'm not sure where to start, but listen to 50,000 Fall Fans and you'll be able to make an informed choice from there. I'd say Hex Enduction Hour and Perverted by Language are my own personal favourites, but This Nation's Saving Grace, The Wonderful and Frightening World... and Live at the Witch Trials are all strong. Once you've got all that make sure you pick up the Slates mini-album. Oh, and In A Hole is a quality early live document.

If you like the other stuff then you have to pick up The Complete Peel Sessions at some point. The Peel version of New Puritan is almost worth the whopping price tag alone but lots of the recordings on there trump the studio versions.

The new album is pretty stonking as well, by the way.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

17th Mar 2010 at 8:49 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Quote: Rufio, Mar 2010
50,000 Fall fans is the compilation I mention in my first post

Thanks for the advice Tom, reckon I'm gonna look out for Hex Enduction Hour and follow your advice from there

Ah, I wasn't sure whether it was the A-Sides compilation or something like that. As much as I love Hex it isn't the most accessible place to start although it does have some of their best songs and I expect you'll already know The Classical and Hip Priest.

The mid-80s stuff (This Nation's Saving Grace to Bend Sinister) is probably a bit easier to get into. Live at the Witch Trials is reasonably straightforward post-punk.

I can't really remember where I went after 50,000 Fall Fans, I seem to remember just going on a massive Fall binge after I finally realised how good it all was.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

21st Mar 2010 at 9:47 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: John Cage Bubblegum, Mar 2010
Can't believe I've only just seen this thread. The place to start would be 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong. You should be able to find it for less than a tenner (assuming you don't just download it of course) and gives a good overview over a frankly ridiculous back catalogue.

I downloaded 50,000 Fall Fans on Friday and I've been absorbing it over the weekend. It's absolutely brilliant and I can't believe I've never paid them much attention in the past.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page