You know what really bugs me?

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 1:02 pm

Carpet Remnant -

When someone likes something just because they are supposed to like it. FOR EXAMPLE a guy I went to school with is really very catholic and he just posted about how he loves Father Ted. Or that my quite geeky friend really likes The IT Crowd. I notice this a lot, this idea that the subject matter of a show or film or song is what matters, but it's not, what matters is the quality of the writing, directing/producing, acting/singing etc.

I'd watch a show about paint drying if it had all of those elements, cause it actually would be good.

I guess what I'm saying is it annoys me when someone likes a thing because of what it's about rather than how good it is. Does anyone else get bugged by this or is it just one of my weird things?

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 1:41 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i've never noticed it so i don't know.

Wait a minute, there is summat a bit like that. If i'm not keen on someone famous and they're Welsh, the fiancé moans at me for not appreciating Welsh people. But it's not like i hate Welsh people as there are plenty of famous English people who annoy me. Well, that's the closest similar thing i can think of, anyroad.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 2:11 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

I guess this helps to explain why only massive tw*ts watch The Mighty Boosh.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 2:14 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Howard Hughes, Feb 2010

genuine lollage.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 2:24 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i didn't know you watched it.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Animal

| 32,547 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 3:11 pm

Animal -

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Feb 2010

BURN!
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 3:29 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Darren, Feb 2010
Quote: Rayanne Graff, Feb 2010

BURN!

*fetches petrol and matches*

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 3:31 pm

Outside-left

And contrary to George's theory, I'm doing a degree in Analytical and Forensic Science and can't stand CSI, NCIS, Bones etc.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 3:34 pm

Carpet Remnant -

And contrary to George's theory, I'm doing a degree in Analytical and Forensic Science and can't stand CSI, NCIS, Bones etc.

It's not a theory that everyone does it. It just annoys me that some people do do it. Like my mate only ever watches Sci-Fi stuff with spaceships and that, why? What's wrong with mixing it up, he'd rather watch a sh*te sci-fi program than an excellent drama, like Dexter.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 5:42 pm

learrggh -

no you're not.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

27th Feb 2010 at 6:28 pm

Outside-left

Quote: pedobear, Feb 2010

no you're not.

My quit papers haven't yet been processed

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Feb 2010 at 12:58 am

the doc -

I think everything is sh*t

Debs|OWA

| 6,513 posts

28th Feb 2010 at 1:06 am

Debs|OWA - Scree

Scree

people who think you can copyright a pose.

Im sick of people on deviantart moaning that someone traced or copied their art because it's in the same pose.

Happened to me before and now happened to a mate.

She drew a perfectly natural pose; a character sitting on a wall eating noms - someones bitching at them because apparently she should give them credit for stealing their pose; the only similarity between the two is the fact their both anthros and both sitting on walls ¬_¬

Vel

| 23,203 posts

28th Feb 2010 at 1:06 am

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I know I'm SUPPOSED to like George, but in all honesty I don't see what's so great about him.

Everybody I know waxes lyrical about his beard, his humour, his sighing... but, you know. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

28th Feb 2010 at 10:46 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: the doc, Feb 2010

Thats because everything, apart from the Wire and how I smell, is sh*t.

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

28th Feb 2010 at 11:15 am

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

Quote: Frank Sobotka, Feb 2010
When someone likes something just because they are supposed to like it. FOR EXAMPLE a guy I went to school with is really very catholic and he just posted about how he loves Father Ted. Or that my quite geeky friend really likes The IT Crowd. I notice this a lot, this idea that the subject matter of a show or film or song is what matters, but it's not, what matters is the quality of the writing, directing/producing, acting/singing etc.

I'd watch a show about paint drying if it had all of those elements, cause it actually would be good.

I guess what I'm saying is it annoys me when someone likes a thing because of what it's about rather than how good it is. Does anyone else get bugged by this or is it just one of my weird things?

I'm glad someone spoke up with this. The amound of cockney wheeler dealers who like Only Fools and horses really does my head in. Or Grumpy old b*st*rds watching One Foot In the Grave and laughing along.

Or those detestable B*ST*RDS middle class men who watch Peep show and laugh, f*cking pricks! Oh and mate, don't get me started on shop keepers laughing at Black Books and Hotel Owners laughing at Fawlty Towers.

Hi, my name's Chris McIlroy. Today I've been mostly using sarcasm to demonstrate how silly your point is.

Tomorrow I'll actually be stalking Dan. Not for any great benefit or to make a point, just because it'd be something new.

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

6th Mar 2010 at 9:51 am

Quote: Ted 'Smooth' Bundy, Feb 2010

Or, using a penguin as a straw for a couple of seconds, then ramming the whole thing into your mouth, when drinking tea. That's fairly fantastic.
But everthing aside from that, the Wire. and how Phil smells, is sh*t.
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

6th Mar 2010 at 12:02 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Bob Flapper, Feb 2010
Quote: Frank Sobotka, Feb 2010

I'm glad someone spoke up with this. The amound of cockney wheeler dealers who like Only Fools and horses really does my head in. Or Grumpy old b*st*rds watching One Foot In the Grave and laughing along.

Or those detestable B*ST*RDS middle class men who watch Peep show and laugh, f*cking pricks! Oh and mate, don't get me started on shop keepers laughing at Black Books and Hotel Owners laughing at Fawlty Towers.

Hi, my name's Chris McIlroy. Today I've been mostly using sarcasm to demonstrate how silly your point is.

Tomorrow I'll actually be stalking Dan. Not for any great benefit or to make a point, just because it'd be something new.

Thanks, you don't understand what I'm trying to say at all. Guess I didn't explain myself properly, meh, nevermind, not gonna lose any sleep.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

6th Mar 2010 at 12:18 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: The Underwhelmed One, Mar 2010
Quote: Ted 'Smooth' Bundy, Feb 2010

Or, using a penguin as a straw for a couple of seconds, then ramming the whole thing into your mouth, when drinking tea. That's fairly fantastic.
But everthing aside from that, the Wire. and how Phil smells, is sh*t.

HOLLA!

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

17th Jul 2010 at 11:02 pm

Jewbacca -

Quote: Professor Frink, Feb 2010

Instantly assumed you were talking about Facebook "liking"
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 1:17 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

Why would it annoy you that some people pretend to like stuff to fit in? It's them who lose hours of their lives cringing through "The Mighty Boosh". Not you.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 2:50 pm

Carpet Remnant -

This thread was pointless, nobody bothered to read and understand my point.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 2:57 pm

Animal -

Quote: Professor Frink, Jul 2010
I read and understood it.

You're saying that some people are only interested in stuff because it's almost expected. Kinda like me saying I like something despite having never seen or heard it because I know what I like an this thing sounds like it would be exactly that.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 4:11 pm

Jewbacca -

Gotta love that football. World Cup WOOOOOO!!!!

For example? I think I get the point too, and if I do I agree.
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 8:36 pm

Outside-left

I think I finally get George's point.

Clueless mongs (birds) in the pub screaming, "Pass it to Rooney" and, "Score a goal". Shut the f*ck up, you never saw me in the cinema for Sex And The City 2 yelling, "F*ck her in the a*se".

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 8:44 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

You're right, I just read your first post again and I was being a d*ck and TOTALLY misunderstood you.

You're saying that it's annoying that people might not give shows a chance just because the subject is something which doesn't interest them, and that they instead should give it a chance because it is not JUST the subject which makes a show good, it is also the writing etc.

However, I think that the subject does factor in, well for me anyway. A subject which is something I can relate to does aid my enjoyment/understanding of jokes sometimes.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 9:24 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I sort of get what you mean, George, but I can't say I come across that sort of thing too often.
The Father Ted example is one where I could see why it'd annoy you as even though they're not trying to totally hammer Catolicism in the programme they are clearly poking fun at elements of the faith and rituals and a very fanatical Catholic (without a sense of humour) would almost definitely take a certain amount of offence at certain gags, so your point of them liking it because of the subject matter rather than the actual material within is maybe the best example you could give.

I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

18th Jul 2010 at 9:29 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Don't forget the fact that liking something because it's a subject matter close to your heart could be because of all the in-jokes, that are funny only because you "get" them.

The IT crowd is genuinely funny, but it's funnier to me as someone who's worked in that situation because of the in-jokes. Same with The Office, not quite as funny unless you've been in an environment like that and can relate the characters and events to real-life things.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 4:52 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Quote: LoonyPandora, Jul 2010
Don't forget the fact that liking something because it's a subject matter close to your heart could be because of all the in-jokes, that are funny only because you "get" them.

The IT crowd is genuinely funny, but it's funnier to me as someone who's worked in that situation because of the in-jokes. Same with The Office, not quite as funny unless you've been in an environment like that and can relate the characters and events to real-life things.

I'm not sure that's strictly true, though I guess it could be in the case of IT jokes in the IT crowd, I just don't imagine that there are too many jokes in that programme which are so specific to the IT field that I don't register them as jokes. I think with stuff like the office and the IT crowd you can't really say its not quite as funny for people who aren't in that situation, as jokes are still jokes.

That said, you could actually be right, I remember chuckling to a joke in the Simpsons about how lawbooks were 'filled with useful legal tidbits like that'. I'm aware it wasn't actually a funny joke, and I reckon somebody without any understanding of law could explain what the humour behind the line was, but they woudn't find it funny the same way I did because... why should they give a sh*t?
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:23 pm

Carpet Remnant -

I don't think the IT Crowd is genuinely funny though, I think it's average at best and really very poor at worst. Granted I haven't ever worked in an office but I have studied IT exclusively since the age of 16.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:28 pm

Delirium Tremens -

I don't think the IT Crowd is genuinely funny though, I think it's average at best and really very poor at worst. Granted I haven't ever worked in an office but I have studied IT exclusively since the age of 16.

IT is not the way to understand the IT Crowd. It may as well be set on a small island off the coast of West Ireland, or in a fire station or something. It's silly, childish humour with safe relationships, a simple double act and a traditional form that the whole family can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with that.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:32 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: James, Jul 2010

IT is not the way to understand the IT Crowd. It may as well be set on a small island off the coast of West Ireland, or in a fire station or something. It's silly, childish humour with safe relationships, a simple double act and a traditional form that the whole family can enjoy. There's nothing wrong with that.

YOU UNDERSTAND ME. Lets get married and have children.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:42 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Sorry, G, my sarcasm detector's on the blink so I'm not sure if you think I've misread your thesis or not.

I know the IT Crowd isn't the world's most laugh a minute or revolutionary comedy, but when it's on I just forget about anything else and slip into a safe world where nothing ever really changes and the people are bound to be okay in the end.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:45 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

He was serious.

I hereby declare you two VR married.

HA!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:46 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Sorry, G, my sarcasm detector's on the blink so I'm not sure if you think I've misread your thesis or not.

I know the IT Crowd isn't the world's most laugh a minute or revolutionary comedy, but when it's on I just forget about anything else and slip into a safe world where nothing ever really changes and the people are bound to be okay in the end.
No I'm being serious, your post was the first one that exactly got my point. Though that might be in my failure to properly communicate my point.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:47 pm

Animal -

But George always said he was going to marry me.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Jul 2010 at 10:47 pm

Animal -

No I'm being serious, your post was the first one that exactly got my point. Though that might be in my failure to properly communicate my point.
Or a failure in others articulating theirs?

Cycling Antics

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

20th Jul 2010 at 7:43 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Hmm... Could have sworn I had already replied in this thread

I know what you're saying G-Whizz. The IT Crowd for example. It's set in the IT industry, so people who work in the IT industry think it's funny because they get the jokes. But the IT jokes featured in the programme are so simple that nearly anyone, or at least nearly everyone in that demographic, can understand them, and the majority of jokes in the show have little to do with IT. Like I used to think that only Irish people thought Father Ted was funny because it's set in Ireland. But the comedy in the show wasn't aimed at Irish people, it appealed to everyone. Silly people ending up in silly situations because of their own or theirfriends silly nature.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

20th Jul 2010 at 8:22 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Sweet jesus you f*ckers are miserable.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

20th Jul 2010 at 9:14 am

Roxannie -

I like watching the IT crowd and picking out little things in the mise-en-scene that most people wouldn't notice, like the XKCD "ACTUAL SIZE" sticker on the back of Moss' monitor, and the "music I used to Like" t-shirt; both of which I only recognised because my brother has them

And I'm sure anyone who works in IT has experience of someone like Jen, who doesn't have a clue but got the job because management don't have a clue either.

Paula

| 4,556 posts

20th Jul 2010 at 12:43 pm

Paula - King of Knights

King of Knights

Quote: Darren, Jul 2010

But George always said he was going to marry me.

And now I know why I was jilted at the VR alter

(ignore me, I'm in a strange mood)

Claire

| 15,814 posts

20th Jul 2010 at 12:58 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Si Senor. F*cking Si.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page